• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Bug - Normal Beowulf was over-fixed

Psyche

Reaction score
While there’s a small bunch of hit reactions and frame timings that are broken with Beowulf right now, I thought I would quickly address the most significant and stark one of these – Beo has lost the invincibility frames he is meant to have with the first hit of Airwulf because they were inadvertently removed when the regular, non-blockbuster launcher of his was fixed to not contain any invincibility that it was never meant to have in the first place. An argument for why the invulnerability needs to be restored to Airwulf is a simple one of consistency, in that Canopy Bounce and Laryngectomy, which both start with a regular launcher – just with the film tape and blockbuster effects – are granted invulnerability, so there’s no reason for Airwulf not to follow suit.

I had this in the back of my head when this issue first popped up, but never had a chance to confirm my suspicion =P

While there’s a small bunch of hit reactions
Feel free to share the others!

We'll look into em.

Reactions: Psyche
I can’t confirm anything about Airwulf since I hardly play Beowulf but from the countless Beowulf’s I’ve fought I’ve witnessed him having some frequent anomalous “when hit” stance.

Every other character only has a single hit stance/reaction, Beowulf somehow has two and his alternate stance makes breaks his hitbox and prevents certain combos from landing (combos that would otherwise work when he’s getting hit in his normal stance)

For example, Cerebella’s full ground hits followed into MGR will always work against Beowulf in his normal stance. But MGR always misses if she’s hitting him in his abnormal bugged stance.

Reactions: Psyche
I can’t confirm anything about Airwulf since I hardly play Beowulf but from the countless Beowulf’s I’ve fought I’ve witnessed him having some frequent anomalous “when hit” stance.

Every other character only has a single hit stance/reaction, Beowulf somehow has two and his alternate stance makes breaks his hitbox and prevents certain combos from landing (combos that would otherwise work when he’s getting hit in his normal stance)

For example, Cerebella’s full ground hits followed into MGR will always work against Beowulf in his normal stance. But MGR always misses if she’s hitting him in his abnormal bugged stance.
It's a very specific issue that only applies if you hit Beowulf out of his Charge Attack.
Normally all attacks exit to a "standing hitstun" state when interrupted (there are three types of standing hitstun), but Beowulf's Charge Attack allows him to exit to crouching hitstun.

Those crouching hitstun states are flagged as throw invincible, which prevents combos into throws.
There's a bunch of different ways to fix it, but we'll look into it!

Just need to find the time to go and make those changes - everything else should work fine.

Reactions: Ryouhi and Psyche
Feel free to share the others!
Other than what moisterrific has already described, one pretty major issue is that Beowulf’s first hit of his regular ground combo is punishable if acted upon immediately, which the AI likes to do constantly. The general trend with all other fighters is that if the first hit of their ground combo is blocked, the second and third hits usually follow up so quickly after that the blocker can’t do anything in between the attacks. I believe there was a patch note somewhere a while ago confirming this was deliberate so that AI waited a bit and gave humans more reaction time to realise when their attack has been foiled, giving them a chance to pull out early rather than get punished. Anyway, with Beowulf specifically, the AI will always try to punish him if they block his G1 jab. Most of the characters have fast enough jabs with reasonable range to pull off the punish, but even those that are too slow or out of range still give it a go. Basically it just feels incredibly erroneous whenever I come across it, and it’s an anomaly relative to the rest of the roster.

Another issue with Beowulf, though I’m not sure whether it was part of his recent patch or if I’ve simply only noticed it now. I’m not sure it’s actually possible to solve this problem though.

The ‘bug’ is that, because it involves two fingers on the screen at once, trying to activate hype mode while in the middle of a ground combo that requires repeated tapping completely breaks the combo and hands you over to the AI on a silver platter because for the split second that you are tapping with your right to attack and your left to activate hype, Beowulf registers it as a block input and stops attacking, then if you try to go back into the combo you will likely get punished.