• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Bug - Normal Scared Stiff SA vs Rage Of The Dragon

TonyPartridge30

Reaction score
So I was playing against a gold Scared Stiff Squigly with fully upgraded Signature Abilities (so it had the "Can't suffer more than 10% of your MAX HEALtH from a single HIT" ability). I was using my Poltergust. I spun up a Dragon Charge and then fired off my RotD BB3, and after the animation, the enemy Scared Stiff had lost barely any health. Like, maybe 10%. I thought this was weird, so I did it again; same result. My attack successfully applied Curse both times, but the damage was way too low (my fighter's FS was equal or greater than the enemy's, so it wasn't a difference in power).

My only thought is that the enemy Scared Stiff's SA intervened to prevent the majority of the damage. But according to that ability, it prevents a single hit from removing more than 10% max health. A RotD blockbuster with a consumed Dragon Charge hits 120 times. It's not a single hit; it's a bunch of little hits. So I feel like the error is that the Rigor Mortis SA is treating that multihit attack as a single HIT. I haven't tried other multihit BB3s against Scared Stiff, as a rarely see her in gold PFs. I'd expect Rigor Mortis to negate a BB like Diamonds Are Forever, which hits once, but unless I'm misunderstanding the ability, moves that hit multiple times should be able to deal up to 10% max health damage on each hit, not for the overall attack.

Rage of the Dragon's 112 (basic) / 120 (charged) 'hits' is actually a cosmetic effect. It is just there to make the counter look impressive, a bit like power levels in Dragon Ball where the number is so high for shock value. In reality, the attack hits only a few times. I don't know how many exactly but it's less than 10 I believe. I want to say this is also how RotD works in SG2E but I'm not certain.

The only exception to this being a decorative, inconsequential effect is any abilities or modifiers that read directly from the combo counter without regard for the true number of hits, namely Frozen Over and Combomancer. This is why Brain Freeze takes virtually no damage from RotD and this is what convinces most people that the BB3 really does strike >110 times.

Rage of the Dragon's 112 (basic) / 120 (charged) 'hits' is actually a cosmetic effect. It is just there to make the counter look impressive, a bit like power levels in Dragon Ball where the number is so high for shock value. In reality, the attack hits only a few times. I don't know how many exactly but it's less than 10 I believe. I want to say this is also how RotD works in SG2E but I'm not certain.

The only exception to this being a decorative, inconsequential effect is any abilities or modifiers that read directly from the combo counter without regard for the true number of hits, namely Frozen Over and Combomancer. This is why Brain Freeze takes virtually no damage from RotD and this is what convinces most people that the BB3 really does strike >110 times.
So it sounds like in some cases it's treated like a bunch of hits, and in others it's treated like a few hits with a cosmetic high combo count. This is a strange inconsistency and should be changed so that it's always either 120 actual hits or always just a few big hits. It shouldn't flip flop back and forth depending on what ability/modifier is interacting with it.

Hopefully this can be addressed in a future update. Personally, I'm of the mindset that if the combo counter says it's 120 hits, then it should be 120 hits. Don't create a lie just to look impressive.

Reactions: Inked and fanghoul
I agree with Tony. It's insensible for it to 120 hits for Brain Freeze but to not be Scared Stiff. Why penalize this particular BB3 both ways when that's not the case for other character's BB3s?

This is something to look at in our very long to do list, but it's minor compared to bugs that break combat consistently. A true 120 hits is going to suck versus "when hit" SAs, and doing 1 hit would also look very awkward...

The reason it works the way it does is because that's how the script was structured in 2nd Encore, and we kept it very similar when the move was ported to SGM. But, I get it - it's pretty inconsistent!

The combo hits are fake hits, like "increase enemy combo counter without applying a hit". Brain Freeze simply reads the combo counter value, which is why her SA works against it. 119 hits are applied before the final hit, and the final hit is the only one that deals damage.

It's good to hear it's on the list, and understandable that it's not higher on it