• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Other Potential Win-Win For Devs and Players

Do you think this is a good idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Goatman302

Reaction score
So after running out of Coins again buying two gold upgrades I got to thinking "Man if only I could earn some more coins" and then I got this idea. This is an idea that has a chance if done right to help not only the makers of this wonderful game but also us the players without ruining the game itself.

So what is it?

Ads, but before ya'll start smashing your keyboard in response read some more first. I'm talking the kind of ads that we the players go to the store, scroll down to the bottom and are given an option to watch an Ad for some coins. No forced ads on the players, but a chance for players who got the time and need of coins to get them. This would help the Devs make some extra $ and at the same time help players like me who need 50k coins all the time.

But I know it's just not that simple, there has to be more to it to ensure it doesn't break the gameplay or the fun of the game at all, so after a good week or so of thought and thinking I think I got a good balance (But feel free to tell me if I'm stupid if you got better answers).

So first of how would this work? Put it in the store near the bottom so its not in the way of gameplay and people who want it can go get it. Then give them rewards for watching the ads and incentive us to watch more. My thought is we use it like so.

A base amount of coins as follows: (1,000 Coins x Player Level) per Ad watched, with a small chance at two bonuses with a 5% chance for Theonite (however you spell it) and a 10% at double coins (and the ability to get both if your lucky enough). Then we include that if you watch ads back to back (with a max 5-10 to prevent ruining the game) that for each one you go on a streak that improves the odds of the bonuses by 1% each video (aka on a 9 streak watching the final video assuming a 10 ad limit, the 5% would bump up to a 14% chance and the 10% up to 19%).

Also, allow the ads limit to be refreshed once a day (along side with everything else that refreshes daily).

Now if you looked at the math you might be thinking "Hey that might be too much coins at higher levels, a level 50 would get 500k at minimum for watching all 10 ads." and you would be right to think so, but at that level 500k would buy about 10 upgrades on a skill tree give or take for a gold fighter and would not be game breaking for those at that level, and since it is level based would also scale to lower levels to prevent them from getting to much and just buying through the game (aka a level 5 only getting 50k for all 10).

Now of course this is all just a suggestion and is open for feedback and change and also 100% up to Devs if this even is a good idea. I feel this kind of reward would be a win-win on both sides (with proper tweaking of course) that would also help players like me who are in constant need of absurd amount of coins to keep getting stronger.

Thank you for reading!

TL:DR - Optional ads for coins/theonite for a win-win for Devs and Players, also math.

Reactions: Zachary Baumstark
I think ads are a great win-win, like you said. However - and I'm not a dev so I don't know for certain - it would probably throw off the economy of the game somewhat to give end game players so many coins for, what, a 30 second ad? I don't think scaling is a bad idea, but the more the devs hand out to the players, the less money they're going to make. I think most players would take the opportunity to earn even just 20,000 coins from an ad.

That's not to say I wouldn't mind 500,000 coins, but it seems like a lot. IMO it also detracts from the grinding aspect of the game. It can be fun to grind for materials for fighters. And, to keep Natural Diamonds from being an easy OP, prices for their skill trees need to be kept up and shouldn't be something solely maintained by ads.

That's just my thoughts, though. Maybe I'm adopting too much of a business mindset and should just let the devs hand me coins lol

Regardless of how it's handled, I hope this is implemented soon!

I think ads are a great win-win, like you said. However - and I'm not a dev so I don't know for certain - it would probably throw off the economy of the game somewhat to give end game players so many coins for, what, a 30 second ad? I don't think scaling is a bad idea, but the more the devs hand out to the players, the less money they're going to make. I think most players would take the opportunity to earn even just 20,000 coins from an ad.

That's not to say I wouldn't mind 500,000 coins, but it seems like a lot. IMO it also detracts from the grinding aspect of the game. It can be fun to grind for materials for fighters. And, to keep Natural Diamonds from being an easy OP, prices for their skill trees need to be kept up and shouldn't be something solely maintained by ads.

That's just my thoughts, though. Maybe I'm adopting too much of a business mindset and should just let the devs hand me coins lol

Regardless of how it's handled, I hope this is implemented soon!
As much as i'd love the idea of non-intrusive ads that give you a bonus, i have to agree with cappatacus here, the thing about upgrading a natural diamond is that it's extremely expensive and time consuming and i love that, and i think that's why people like them, even golds are really hard to upgrade for a new player if you think about it (It took me like 2 weeks to get my Brain Freeze cerebella up to lvl 15 and like a month to lvl 25 since i didn't have a lot of time to play).

The idea of recieving X ammount of coins + X for every level though... i don't think so, especially the way you put it, it would incite players to actually play the game for sure, but at the same time it could potentially be gamebreaking, as i could just watch all ads within 2 days, then i could buy either a diamond key or two golden ones, it IS good, but not that much when you realize you can fully upgrade a diamond within the span of 1 month, and even less time if you grind enought.

If this was implemented into the game, it should be no more than 3 adds and a default ammount like 1K coins, and maybe a bonus of 200 for every 10 levels (Level 5 players get 1K per ad, with a daily 3K if you see all of them, when level 50 can get 2K, so 6K per day, that's actually a pretty fair bonus), but no more than that.

That's just my opinion though.

Great idea. Like the scal to level thought. But in my opinion it’s givivg too much coin. I can back the idea of nonintrusive ad for a set number of coins. No double bonus and no theonites chance.

Why?

1) theonites as money bought in game currency should remain its place where its hard to get.
2) aside from upgrading fighters you know what use coin like there’s no tomorrow? Moves and BBs. As I recall(you can search on the forum) to fully upgrade a move/bb it’s about 2.3 mill coins. So say I have ten moves/bb with 2great stat and 1 somewhat ok stat now I want to upgrade to see if RNG will be on my favor. I would need to use about 1mill (upgrade till lvl8-10) to tell if this move/bb is truly good or not. Let me tell you usually it’s not. And I have two dozen fighter who needs maxed move/bbs that’s
24x5x2.3=276mill

Hey doesn’t this mean we need even more coins? By no means.

Because having maxed move/bb with at least 2 great stat(hp%,atk%,def,exc) would make the difference between a good fighter and a godlike fighter.

I just want to point out another aspect to think on, because I like your idea.

Ps. Do I have trepidation about nonintrusive ads bacoming pop ups? Hell yes. But I do have faith in the dev team, they haven been great so far, right?

Edit typos

I like the proposed set up for viewing the ads: optional, non-intrusive. However I think the original idea offers too many coins for viewing ads which could break the economy (which I would probably capitalize on but I doubt the devs would like that).

I think it would be more likely to be implemented if each ad gave a small flat rate of coins. Like, 20 coins per ad viewed. Maybe cap the number of rewardable ads per day so that people can’t use it as a new farming method. Have it there as a little boost to coin income, not as a new major source of coins. Devs still get the benefit of ad revenue, interested players can watch the ads for a few extra coins, while non-interested players won’t be missing much by not viewing the ads.

That’s my take on the idea, anyway.

I like if it non-intrusive and its optional to view, for example a little tv that appears sometimes and you decide to see or not.

Personally for me, I'm fine with the amount of coins being changed, I'm just throwing out what I feel is fair, and as a level 49 - almost 50 player I often find that so much grinding just to open one skill tree is a turn off for me, which is what gave me the idea of these ads. I play often but moderation is key, if I have to play 4 hours a day every day just to get ahead of the curve it really turns me off as a player. I know for others that may be a field day for them, but I don't want to have to grind fights for 600 coins a fight just to buy an upgrade that costed me 75k. And since prize fights stop giving rewards after while and doing the Daily Events is slowly becoming boring to me (as lack of points is not really a problem and even the coin from it is lack luster at best). I'm really just looking for more ways to make coins that don't require hours of grind.

Game is great and fun by all means and even if it didn't have theonite or double coins chances, just something that gave decent coins (even just 10k's or 20k's) would help reduce the endless grind.

But I understand what people are afraid this could do, which is why I would leave it up to the Devs to decide if this is even worth doing/tweaking to ensure it doesn't break the flow the game.

Hell I'm even down for watching optional ads just to refresh energy so I can get back in the action some more.

But here's to hoping the game just gets better overall.

Reactions: B_W
I agree comeplety. I think the rewards you mentioned are a bit high but I'd love a way to supplement my coin income

This is definitely something we considered waaaay back in the past, but we decided against it for a plethora of reasons. However, we started some discussion about it recently after this thread popped up.

It's great to hear that you guys want to support us! If we end up implementing ads, we would do our best to make them as unforced and non-intrusive as possible, and we would need to delicately balance the additional Canopy Coin income so that the economy doesn't break. Logging in to a massive advertisement for a game you don't care about is a big fat no from me, haha.

All of the revenue through the ads would of course go towards the game's development if they were implemented. That said, in the meantime the best way to support the game, and us, is through our existing In App Purchases.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion! We'll continue discussing this.