• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Combo's and Follow Ups

Reaction score
Hello there, I have had my hands on this game now and I have found a common trend amongst the cast involving the combo system of this game. This trend is that you can only follow up from a knockdown once before they become invulnerable until they return to their idle position. This is quite a large thread to digest so I'll leave a TL;DR at the bottom with some of the main points.

As an example Fila is able to perform two lvl 1 BB moves in a row out of a launcher (without follow up). Try this in game if you have the following BB's (Drilled Tempered and Gregor Samson).

Tap - Tap - Tap - Tap - (Tap if you have ground combo extender unlocked) - Launcher - Drilled Tempered - Gregor Samson once you have reached the ground.

This is a guaranteed combo but if you tried to follow up this with a sweep it will not connect but if you were to use Gregor Samson out of a launcher instead of Driller Tempered into Gregor Samson you will be able to follow up with a sweep as your opponent has not yet touched the ground from which being launched.

This can also be applied to simple launch combos as well. Take peacock for example if you have your opponent in the corner you are able to do a lot of stuff after launcher but here's one of the basic ones.

Tap - Tap - Tap - Tap - (Tap if you have ground combo extender unlocked) - Launcher - Tap - Tap - (Tap if you have juggle combo extender unlocked) - Swipe Right - Tap - Tap - Tap - Tap - (Tap if you have ground combo extender unlocked) - Swipe Up

If this combo is preformed successful you will have just successfully preformed two ground combos in the one sequence which could have been the difference between a win and a loss if your BB's are on cooldown.

This tech could eventually discover other new ways of extending combos as long as the rule of one ground bounce is kept in mind. As from my experimentation Peacock and Painwheel are two people that can really benefit from this tech and could even make a couple of mid/low tier variations stand out like Painwheels Rusty variant or make the high tiers even higher like Rusty's stronger cousin Painwheels Buzzkill.

I've still to experiment with other characters, special moves and BB's but if the community can explore this I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this. Thank you for your time and any feedback is accepted and appreciated even if it's bad XD but all jokes aside thank you and I hope we can crack this tech wide open.

TL;DR: Basically there is a rule that if the opponent touches the ground more than once or touches it without a follow up they will be momentarily invincible until they get up. If this rule is followed certain moves, specials and BB's can abuse the first ground bounce and extend the combo for more damage. I've explored this and seen that is has a lot of potential with certain characters due to their debuffs that they can put on opponents. If this is explored this could potentially open up a new pool of combos and can potentially make some lower tier characters more of a threat. I have yet to explore this tech with every character and combination of moves and such I'm asking if the community could look into this for the benefit of showing the AI what for. Thank you for reading this shorter version of my research and hopefully we can explore this to it's fullest.

Good research!
I'll chime in with a few more notes because I love this kind of discussion : )

This is called an "OTG" or "Off - The Ground" in Skullgirls 2nd Encore +, and Skullgirls Mobile.
When an opponent touches the floor from a regular knockdown, you're allowed to extend the combo one time "off the ground" by hitting them.
The launch height / distance / hang time is the same across all OTG hits, regardless of what hits the opponent.
[Example: Launchers won't launch the opponent if they hit as an OTG, they will launch the opponent the same height as a Tap 1 starter]

The next time the opponent lands from a knockdown and would normally go into the state where you can OTG them, they will become invincible instead.

There are some bounces that will still bounce the opponent off the floor and not consume their OTG.
In some cases, you can hit the opponent from a regular knockdown before they are able to touch the floor, letting you save your OTG for later.

The longer you can avoid using your OTG, the longer your combos will be.
We love seeing what crazy combos the community comes up with!

Thank you for your added insight for this mechanic, I knew about it from Skullgirls 2nd encore but wasn't really able to use it just because I'm bad with button inputs so I decided to look into the mobile game and I was happy to see that the mechanic was still in it but at my time of discovery it didn't really click that the mechanic was from the previous game. The thing is in this game I find it is that it is very hard extend your combo with certain characters just because they either launch them too far away with their air combo like valentine that knocks the opponent away at a diagonal level or that they don't really have the best moves to extend a combo like painwheel as most of her special moves are approach options or enders. Hopefully more special moves get added in the future to solve this problem because I'd like to see the ground bounce utilised more in this game.

Reactions: ThanatosDK