• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Fights Dynamic time limits

Psyche

Reaction score
As you have probably already guessed, I have of course come here after losing a match (and a precious Prize Fight streak along with it) by unintentionally running down the clock. Thus, the idea that immediately came to my agitated and mildly frustrated mind was for a dynamic time limit system, where a formula could be introduced to calculate a more adequate maximum match duration. The reason I say this is because I found myself ringing out not because I was too careful or playing it safe or missing all of my attacks, but instead because the enemy simply had too much health for me to try and get through in only three minutes, especially with those pesky periodic BB3s in the way of my goal. So, my primary suggestion is for the timer to keep its current 3 minutes as the foundation for the formula, and then have time added proportionately to the Underdog/Longshot bonus, with the % extra exp. announced at the end of the match translating directly into seconds, i.e. seeing "Longshot bonus: 10%" would mean the match would have started with 3:10 on the clock, and 60% would add a whole extra minute to the base three so the match starts with 4:00 minutes. There's no issue with the player being able to deduce the bonus they are going to earn when they win before they actually do so, especially if they have a way of calculating it themselves anyway, and a Longshot bonus above 50% usually means fighting an enemy with a fighter score many times your own, which may result in being mowed down in a single advanced juggle combo or, even worse, the fight becoming too much a war of attrition with a sort of stalemate that makes it very difficult to win within the current flat three-minute limit.
A slight alternative is to make it directly proportional to the player's multiplier (which has a cap, which is good, rather than the win streak, which could increase indefinitely). This would make dynamic time limits exclusive to Prize Fight events, though this would still satisfy me as that is where most of my timeouts occur.

If none of this is realistically conceivable, please at least consider adding an aural cue to the 'time low' warning which currently consists only of the timer turning red, which is incredibly easily overlooked when the player is concentrating on the action of the game – even more so if the fight is tense. Any old sound effect at all would be infinitely more useful than a visual cue alone.

I profoundly apologise for my lack of concision.

With version 1.4.0 BB3 blockbusters will need an extra 25% to fill and the timer will pause during all blockbusters; in theory that should add another 40-60 seconds onto the timer for games where you're really against the odds and seems like a fair addition.

I too would like the timer to give a better warning when it's getting low, though listening to the music helps as there's some sections you don't hear until you're 2+ minutes into the match.

Reactions: Psyche
Ah, yes, that ought to help massively. I knew about that but it never clicked in my head. I guess we'll see how it feels in 1.4.0.