• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Story Ranting about Master Story Mode.

FkUpMaestro

Reaction score
Alright. So I suddenly decided to give more time to this game. I set a goal to compete 100% of Story Mode, so I was grinding, grinding and grinding! I was so glad when I completed all the acts on Expert and was excited for what Master Mode has to offer. And when I tried it... I realized that the devs went lazy on it. No... Not lazy, probably, they have interesting restrictions/modifiers here and there... But I feel like they were lazy because they have made the easiest way to make players stay in the game more.
I need to say, I really love Skullgirls Mobile and appreciate everything: gameplay, art style, music, characters, etc. It was rare for me to complain about something and these complaints were pointless because later I realized there actually was nothing to complain about. But when I started playing Story Mode on Master difficulty... Oh. My. God. "Use only Dark Fighters, use only Light Fighters, use three Silver Peacocks, use two Gold Air Fighters (I don't even have any Gold Airs!)". No. This isn't a test of skill. This is collection test. If you, for example, sacrificed some fighters because you didn't need them, or just wasn't lucky enough to get them from relics... The game basically tells you to scram from Master. Okay, it really gives people challenge but it just makes people try and find the character the game asks for. Not only that, but also upgrade them so they could win that fight. Oh, as if the upgrades matter, my guys.
Act 1, the first treasure node possible. Both of the opponents have unblockables which is basically a win button because of how much stronger they are. It's possible to win but this is a luck test now. When you're blocking/applying pressure, you basically need to pray that AI isn't going to use it when it's activated. It's completely unfair now and I'm pretty sure it's not about the skill.
Some people would say something like "But other difficulties have crazy restrictions too". No, my friend. No. That and this are two different things. Now this is happening on every node. I don't understand why devs decided to make it like that. At least they could have made restrictions overlap less, so we won't have to search for a specific fighter every time! Also I saw people saying that it's "better than use your favorite fighters to breeze through modifiers". Damn. They could've just put more modifiers there and also increase the opponent's power everywhere in comparison to Expert. As stupid as this sounds, this is better than what they've made here.
Now for the verdict: Master Story Mode is...

H O T | G A R B A G E
ホット| ごみ*

The court is over. The devs are sentenced to reworking the Master Story Mode and adding it to the rest of origin story (not really, but please!).

*thisiswordtowordtranslationsoitmaybewrong

Here is my measured response: The devs were very transparent with us when the Master Story acts first dropped with saying that they wanted the master mode to be more varied than just max diamonds, and they chose to use collection restrictions to do that. The route they chose does at least get us to use bronzes and silvers in late game content which is a neat factor compared to end game content in most other games. That being said I do think the Master mode for the next main story chapter (whenever that happens) should be scaled to max diamonds as a natural thing.

Reactions: FkUpMaestro
Here is my measured response: The devs were very transparent with us when the Master Story acts first dropped with saying that they wanted the master mode to be more varied than just max diamonds, and they chose to use collection restrictions to do that. The route they chose does at least get us to use bronzes and silvers in late game content which is a neat factor compared to end game content in most other games. That being said I do think the Master mode for the next main story chapter (whenever that happens) should be scaled to max diamonds as a natural thing.
You're right, that's a good decision since it offers people nice challenge. It's just some people aren't lucky enough to fit to these restrictions, me included. And nodes where AI has unblockables are sometimes unfair. Well... I probably went too hard when I made this message since I got over it, just like with my previous complaints I'd have about this game. Now I'm working on getting my characters and upgrading them using PFs for that.