• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Other For variety’s sake

Psyche

Reaction score
Just a quick proposal that the two instances of the ellipted proverbial phrase ‘Silver Lining’ might want some freshening up. This is just like when Beowulf came out and the statistical disadvantage bonus added on to victories was renamed from ‘Underdog’ to ‘Longshot’ (which I think should be two separate words, but that’s another matter) in order to make way for the Bronze, Dark element, regular palette variation of Beowulf also called ‘Underdog’.
Now, what we have currently is the ‘Silver Lining Relic’ which is guaranteed to drop either a Silver- or Gold-tier fighter and the daily mission titled ‘Silver Lining’ which is completed by winning 5/10/20 fights with at least one Silver fighter on the team. While the two instances are significantly distinct and so are not really subject to too much confusion (though there may well still be some), I think it would be nice if we could come up with a replacement name for either one of these in-game concepts for originality’s sake and to preserve the game’s integrity by only referring to idiomatic phrases like ‘every cloud has a silver lining’ once.
I do not have a great suggestion myself right now as I simply wanted to write this thought down before it slipped away – feel free to share any ideas of your own – but I am of the opinion that the daily mission is the one that deserves a change more as the full proverb makes little to no sense in the context, the only relevance being the word ‘Silver’. The relic’s name makes more sense in this regard as it resonates better with the idiom: a player may have just spent 1000 or 1500 Theonite on 10+1 batches of relics and gotten nothing but Bronze-tier fighters, then they open the Silver Lining Relic that they acquired from a login bonus that day and are compensated for their efforts and loyalty in a way with, at the very least, a single Silver variation. This would be the silver lining to the tentative raincloud that is RNG. However, at the same time the relic’s name is mildly misleading as it implies that a Silver fighter is all you can get from it, even though the description quite quickly clears this up. Nevertheless, there are pros and cons to everything.

TL;DR — There are two things called ‘Silver Lining’ in the game, and I think at least one of them should be changed to something else so that the same reference isn’t used twice.

So, what do you think? Any alternative names for either of the Silver Linings that you can come up with? Or am I being too picky and do you think it’s original enough as it is?

Silver strikes ?
Hmm, that could work but I’m not sure how it would fit. Is it part of a phrase that has a further meaning, or is it just two words that sound cool?

How about
Silver Lining - Relic
Silver Bullet - Mission (A silver bullet is generally a decisive solution to a problem. Also useful around werewolves.)

That could maybe work. I like it.

I was in the thinking of "the enemy strikes again" so in the same concept the silvers strikes. Both on the battle ground.

I was in the thinking of "the enemy strikes again" so in the same concept the silvers strikes. Both on the battle ground.
Ah, I see the reference now, but in my opinion I don’t quite think it works. Plus, the mission is about the player winning and beating the AI so if the original phrase is ‘the enemy strikes again’ then it could be confusing.

How about
Silver Lining - Relic
Silver Bullet - Mission (A silver bullet is generally a decisive solution to a problem. Also useful around werewolves.)
Sounds like someone doesn't like Beo o_O

Well, I guess with these new fight modifiers that’s Silver Bullet out of the equation.