• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

What do you think Squigly will be like?

Cellsai

Oh Sai
Hidden Variable Dev
Reaction score
Website
cellsai.deviantart.com
Squigly hasn't made an appearance in Skullgirls Mobile yet, but she's one of the most popular characters in the game so she's bound to appear eventually! In the console version her unique trick is she can power up her special moves using two unique stances - Whip Stance (which powers up her snake/dragon attacks) and Dragon Stance (Which powers up her close range punching attacks)

All the characters in Skullgirls Mobile have special Character Abilities. Currently these are the CA's everyone else has:
Beowulf: Can activate hype mode to enhance his throws.
Big Band: Gives him armor during his dash attack.
Cerebella: Staggers the opponent when she techs a throw.
Eliza: Certain BBs allow her to transform into Sekhmet.
Filia: Back dashing lets her evade attacks.
Painwheel: Swiping up twice allows her to fly.
Parasoul: Charge attacks allow her to detonate her tears.
Peacock: Swiping down twice allows her to disappear before launching surprise attacks.
Valentine: Damage dealt by Val can't be regenerated when they tag out.

What unique ability do you think Squigly will get when she's added? Any other ideas for what Squigly will play like?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryouhi
I really hope she has some sort of haste ability and some cool dragon fire effects :3 I believe she can ?teleport as well in the console version so maybe her signature ability can allow her to teleport and be immune once every twenty seconds or something :3 Really hoping to see her next patch or so.

Like I said above, Squigly's main console trait is her ability to enter Whip Stance and Dragon Stance. As long as holds these stances, she is mostly defenseless, but she slowly powers up her other moves. For example, without any stances she has an attack that sends Leviathan (her dragon parasite) tunneling through the ground a short distance. If she holds whip stance long enough to charge herself up to Whip Level 3 she can send Levi out, but he stretches full screen and does a huge amount of damage.

I'm thinking since stances are her main console shtick, they'll be pretty important here too. I personally don't like the double up and down swipe CAs that Peacock and Painwheel have, but maybe they could be used for Squigly?

It might be complicated, but maybe they could implement her stances something like:
Swipe Up twice to enter Whip Stance. While in whip stance, you gains stacks of Whip (Like the way you can gain stacks of Enrage or Armor. A little icon will appear with a number under your health bar). Doing any action will cancel whip stance, and you keep any stacks you built up for the rest of the fight.
Swipe Down twice to enter Dragon Stance. This is the same as whip stance, but you build Dragon stacks instead.

Squigly gets damage buffs/extended combos/changed special moves depending on how many stacks of Whip and Dragon she has.
You lose all Dragon and Whip stacks when you tag out.

Last edited:
I'm thinking since stances are her main console shtick, they'll be pretty important here too. I personally don't like the double up and down swipe CAs that Peacock and Painwheel have, but maybe they could be used for Squigly?

It might be complicated, but maybe they could implement her stances something like:
Swipe Up twice to enter Whip Stance. While in whip stance, you gains stacks of Whip. Doing any action will cancel whip stance, and you keep any stacks you built up.
Swipe Down twice to enter Dragon Stance. This is the same as whip stance, but you build Dragon stacks instead.

Squigly gets damage buffs/extended combos/changed special moves depending on how many stacks of Whip and Dragon she has.

I remember playing as Squiggly on a console version, granted I'm terrible at making combos with half circles and button presses but she was by far my most favorite character in the game who I spent the most time trying to learn. It might be hard to implement some of the charged stances v.s. The normal attacks but as you said the double swipe mechanic would more likely work for charging up a stance while a normal swipe could do a normal attack. She would defiantly be a more interesting additions IMO given that she seems to be able to mix Long Range and Short range combat with all the stances changing how attacks work.

As far as abilities would go the only thing I could think of is maybe something tied into the stances? Such as "Gain Enrage on using (X) Stance attack." Or maybe something along the lines of Epic Sax with special effects via combos seeing as she seems to be a more combo essential character than just raw power.

Reactions: Snow
To put it simply: probably something like hype mode (which is a good thing, I think hype mode works well)

Reactions: JarlBeimar
Swipe Up twice to enter Whip Stance. While in whip stance, you gains stacks of Whip (Like the way you can gain stacks of Enrage or Armor. A little icon will appear with a number under your health bar). Doing any action will cancel whip stance, and you keep any stacks you built up for the rest of the fight.

That sounds kinda interesting, but could also be a bit risky to pull of during play. If they do it this way each stack could charge up the next attack that uses that specific stance as a base. And if you have both stacks maxed and use her BB3, she could use her secret blockbuster instead of the base one.

If they make a system similar to hype mode maybe you get a charge every time you use a special or bb that supports that stand and if you have enough you can activate it with a button(like hype mode) and any special of that stance type is then charged up until the timer runs out. Though one problem with that would be that you'd need separate buttons for each stance and that might be too much for a phone screen.

i think her stances would work a lot like hype mode, instead of the way they do on console, since that would make her more vulnerable. maybe they could be incorporated into her charge attack, make it a 2 for 1 deal

Reactions: Patrick
I just wonder if/how they’re going to work her Shun Goku Saltsu in.

But I love the idea of the Whip and Dragon Stances!

I just wonder if/how they’re going to work her Shun Goku Saltsu in.

But I love the idea of the Whip and Dragon Stances!
It'll almost certainly be a BB3.

An alternative idea for the character:
Squigly has two kinds of special moves - Whip moves and Dragon moves.
Every time you use a whip move, it gives you one stack of Whip Stance. Every time you use a dragon move it gives you one stack of Dragon Stance.
Once you've got 3 stacks of Whip or 3 stacks of Dragon, you can activate it somehow. This could be done with something like a special button like Hype Mode, or maybe just hold down attack for a charge attack.
Once you've triggered Whip/Dragon Stance it gives you buffs, or enhances your special moves in some way.

Reactions: Ryouhi
They should make her secret Block buster a thing but with a twist name
"Salty Punch!"

Squigly is also my favorite Skullgirls character and I can't wait to see her implemented. My thoughts on how to do her stance charges are to tie them to the special moves. Just tap the button for a level one charge or you can hold down the button to charge it up to level three. I think it would simplify the UI and use of the abilities.

Reactions: Cellsai
Squigly is also my favorite Skullgirls character and I can't wait to see her implemented. My thoughts on how to do her stance charges are to tie them to the special moves. Just tap the button for a level one charge or you can hold down the button to charge it up to level three. I think it would simplify the UI and use of the abilities.[/QUOTE i epilepsia like tópale with the cat girl i gorgoteo the name, i have about 3 million on canopia coins for her. Inoperancia not lost my data.

Sorry for the las reply my keyboard its in Spanish and the corrector changes the words. I Said that i am waiting to the catgirl to spend 3 millions of canopian coins on her. But i hope that i havent lost my data.

I haven't played the console game so I'm not sure what she's like completely, but I figured something that implements Final Stand would be fitting, with her being undead. With her stands, though, it would make more sense for something like that to be a specific character varient rather than all of them. Or maybe her attack could increase when Final Stand is active

i hope her regular unblockable charge attack is her Ashes to Ashes command normal or her c.hp Cremation (which is the same thing but crouching for those who aren't familiar.) HOWEVER, imagine if The Silver Chord is made into her regular unblockable charge attack???? Free Combos!!!! she'd probably get weak attack for that to be the case

Squigly's stances don't "stack," it's one each then gone when used, so i don't think that's the wording you'd want to go for, unless i'm reading this thread wrong

other ideas for charging her stances:
A. a single charge button [like Sekhmet's Hathor's Return button except it has to be held down; i haven't seen Beowulf's Hype Mode button] when long pressed along with the certain Serpent's Tail or Dragon's Breath chargeable special, will charge that specific stance to 1. then to save that charge without doing the special, they have to release the buttons in a certain order. to do the charged special, the buttons have to be released in the opposite order

B. a single charge button that charges "both" stances to 1 each time. if done once, "both" get a 1 but they'll both turn to 0 when any stance-related special is used. if done twice, each stance will get a 1 but only the stance associated with the special will turn to 0 when used, the other stance will remain available for the corresponding special. max can be done twice. animation displayed while charging for 1 stance is randomized, animation displayed while charging for the 2nd stance is the other animation

Last edited:
An alternative idea for the character:
Squigly has two kinds of special moves - Whip moves and Dragon moves.
Every time you use a whip move, it gives you one stack of Whip Stance. Every time you use a dragon move it gives you one stack of Dragon Stance.
Once you've got 3 stacks of Whip or 3 stacks of Dragon, you can activate it somehow. This could be done with something like a special button like Hype Mode, or maybe just hold down attack for a charge attack.
Once you've triggered Whip/Dragon Stance it gives you buffs, or enhances your special moves in some way.

I don't know how well stances in console would translate to mobile, but what about:
ENCORE: Each of Squiggly's 3rd use of a Special Move will be powered up!

That way there aren't separate stance counters.
Though I do hope the stances make it in somehow, the idles and movement in them are great.

Reactions: Cellsai
Well, now that she's on the way officially, here's a sneak peek courtesy of TouchArcade, for those who might have missed it (since I know not everyone checks the game's Twitter)!

Her Wyrm's Tail CA looks interesting, to me. The button is another good use of the space available on the screen, and it's a detail I suspect we'll see when Ms. Fortune releases in the future. The way Squigly flows from one attack to the next is exciting, to say the least. That first GIF of her in combat really shows how far this game can go in terms of combo potential in spite of the restrictions of the mobile platform. Definitely looking forward to her release with version 2.3.

Keep up the good work, HVS. We love you (and your cold, undead, zombie singer waifu) unconditionally. ♡

Attachments

• 1435020694_Squigly heart.jpg
    1435020694_Squigly heart.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I've been quite excited for her release these past few days, admittedly. With every gif of her gameplay I see on Insta/Twitter, I get more and more hyped! It's interesting how they utilise the space for that charge thingy. It'd be interesting to play as her, I can tell, for me at least. :>