• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Other Theonite seems really hard to come by these days

AFI

Reaction score
When compared to when the game started out, its really hard to obtain theonite especially as a late game player. Prize fight theonite rewards were halved, character relics had the Theonite price increased, energy refill cost was doubled, all these little things add up and when I look back at how I got gud at the start of my time playing the game I realise that it’s a lot more scarce, of course new content has been added which gives more theonite and relics that being the origin stories, but I still think it’s a lot harder to get.

It’s a bit annoying as a late game player, but I really wonder how newer players git gud, because for me this basically consisted of staying up til midnight and pumping theonite into my best fighters until I had a score of 2 million on gold prize fights to get more golds, but that just isn’t possible for new players so I would imagine it’s pretty hard to get a decent way into the game especially due to the ridiculously low rates of obtaining silver and gold fighters from relics.

If there was a bit more theonite in prize fights I think it might feel a bit better due to fact that prize fights are always renewable. Maybe a few new milestone rewards for the prize fights as 1.78 million really doesn’t feel like a milestone anymore, but you’d still need to work hard for these new rewards. Alternatively making players theonite count more when opening relics could help also, like maybe raising the rate of Silver fighters to about 22% and the Gold Fighter rate rising to 4.5% would be a nice change because at present it feels like every single relic is a bronze fighter and relics aren’t cheap.

I know this is basically whining about a game that’s made to make money trying to make money especially since SGM probably has a smaller player base in comparison to some larger Gacha games that can afford to put the rates of characters a bit higher and such, but with all of these changes to make theonite harder to get, it doesn’t feel like I’m progressing too much as a late game player.

i don’t know if this is just me, but i haven’t really noticed a problem with getting Theonite.
not sure whether you could call me a “late game player” (i’m level 50, with a few golds that are still below 10k fighter score), but i seem to be getting Theonite fairly well. even with the daily rewards cut in terms of how much Theonite you get from them they still manage to help me save up. plus that with getting all the prize fight milestones, i think i’m doing well.
i don’t know, like i said, it may be just my view. i imagine it’s different for players that are later into the game compared to me.

(PS, was the energy refill cost really doubled? what was the price before? i just don’t remember it being higher than 5 theonite per fighter needing a recharge)

It’s still only 5 per Fighter? I must’ve been mistaken I took a break from this game for a few months. And in response to the rest of your comment I might just be whining, I suppose I’m really talking about the fact that is harder to obtain than before.

@AFI you bring up an interesting point which I think is worth a little investigation, but none the less here is my theory:

Skullgirls Mobile is sort of an extra way to make all the effort put into the original game worth it. I guess you could say its like trying to squeeze just a bit more milk out of the cow.
That being said, the game is currently not up to revenue.
One must remember there is a staff which has to monitor this site, the game itself, fraud, theft, hacks, bug fixes, updates, programming, story creation, ideas for the future, etc. and the list goes on and on. All of these people need to get paid and the game still needs to make enough money to be worth running and maintaining. Of course all of this money does not come solely from the players who pay, but a lot of the overall revenue does.
How do I know the game is struggling?
For the exact reasons you mentioned plus some other indicators. For one, the fierce advertizing for in-game purchases (which I'm sure every player has undoubtedly noticed by this point). Secondly, the increase of relic prices as well as the scarcity of theonite (which you have mentioned). And third, the Devs announced here in the post about the changes with this new update that the reason they increased relic prices was for "game revenue", though they did not go into much more detail than that.
With the demand for new content comes the demand for more revenue.
I believe the staff is trying to make this game still playable for those who do not want to "pay to play", but it looks like that is becoming more and more difficult as time goes on. One tactic which I believe would be very effective would to be to advertize the game itself through other mobile games and outlets (as many games do). I personally stumbled upon this game by pure chance just because I was a fan of the original Skullgirls but did not have a means to play it so on a whim I looked it up on my appstore and was shocked to find a mobile version (for free too!). Yet I have never seen it advertized anywhere.
I do hope this makes sense!

It’s still only 5 per Fighter? I must’ve been mistaken I took a break from this game for a few months. And in response to the rest of your comment I might just be whining, I suppose I’m really talking about the fact that is harder to obtain than before.

yeah, it’s stayed at 5 Theonite.
no, you aren’t whining! i think you brought up a very good point that should be discussed since a lot of people see it the same way as you do.