• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Rift battle general discussion

Anyone know the milestones ratings when you get a rank up? I've gotten to 1971 and I'm still gold 1. A few fighters I've faced a few diamond 4 fighters and they were lower rating than me. (I'm guessing I have to get 2000 for diamond 4?)
As far as I understad, initial ranking was done based on calculated collection strength. Not sure how initial ratings were calculated and whether they were even different.

But if you look at the rewards page it's pretty obvious that based on the season results new ranks will be assigned to players based on their relative performance measured as their ratings at the end of the season. So player with the highesr rating will become Legend, top 1% rating players will become D4s and so on and so forth. Not tied to specific rating numbers but rather relative performance compared to all the participant, similar to PFs.

Maybe this problem is here because the match making needs some fine tuning. I just don’t know. I’m feeling a little down after the few days of rift battle.
Yeah me too. I feel like I shouldn't have been put in Diamond 4 to start when every other Diamond 4 has vastly outclassed me in their fighter strength and number of Diamonds. If I had started out at a lower rank where my matching was more fair/even, maybe Rift Battles wouldn't feel so sour.

Reactions: fanghoul and ALUni
Yeah me too. I feel like I shouldn't have been put in Diamond 4 to start when every other Diamond 4 has vastly outclassed me in their fighter strength and number of Diamonds. If I had started out at a lower rank where my matching was more fair/even, maybe Rift Battles wouldn't feel so sour.
The problem with "wrong" initial ranking will solve itself after the first season end by design. That probably won't help you when being matched against higher ranks tough.

But I wonder if there's an upper limit to tier spread in matchmaking. That is, how far the difference in ranks is allowed to be in a match.

So far as a G2 I was matched against D4 max and S1 min.

Reactions: Zachary Baumstark
Lol, I just won against a D4 dude. I gave him 5000 points in defense wins having the worst RNG in the history of forever (took down a sole Untochable in 7(!) attempts). Without theo use though.

He was doing a clear run but stopped with 2 nodes left.

Why I oughta...

EDIT: and another opponent gave up. It was a fairly balanced matchup (he had more diamonds though), and I even failed to fully clear the map, but the guy gave up after failing a couple of nodes.

Last edited:
Reactions: fanghoul
The consensus is the lack of reward for challenging an opponent stronger than me when I will lose for sure because I had more attempts than my opponent. Sure I get a challenging fight and feel good after the win, but what about my theonites I spend for refreshing my top three fighters? Yes we do get rift coins. For me 15 on a loss, 51-57 on a win. Then why do I want to spend theonites on refreshing when I can not play AND still get that 15 rift coins?

Maybe this problem is here because the match making needs some fine tuning. I just don’t know. I’m feeling a little down after the few days of rift battle.

I don't know if you should be spending Theonite on refreshing your fighters, unless you really want to win a specific battle and it's a close thing. It's really expensive to do, and it seems like people might generally be better off spending it on relics and such. Rift Coins are good, and rank will be important in some cases, but you need the get the gold and diamond characters in the first place to be competitive in the long run.

Related, one of my complaints about this mode is it's much more visibly pay to win, in that you can use Theonite to refresh your fighters and that can easily mean the difference between winning a losing in individual matches. It's more Theonite than I think most of us would want to spend on a single match, and it annoys me to know that my opponent could be paying out of pocket to win this particular match against me. Not sure why that's different than paying for relics/upgrades etc, but it feels more personal I guess.

On the other hand, I'm reasonably sure my last opponent was trying to burn Theonite to win, because he had so many failed attempts before succeeding on my final nodes, but he still lost because I had more defensive wins as a result, so I guess it's not totally effective as a way of winning.

I'm not sure making both me and the person paying to win feel bad at times is really a big plus for the system though.

Last edited:
i have been neglecting prize fights to play rift battles. Never again will i do that. rift battles are too much stress. (especially when i'm just hurling myself at opponents i could never beat for rift coins.)

Rift battles make me raaaage like theres no tomorrow, especially that last node with the sacrosanct mod bs in which everyone and their dog puts on 20k’s and above light and dark chars. Bah!

Ok, sorry for the rant. Despite my supposed gold ranking (which i guess will go down to silver after the season ends) i keep losing because i made the choice months ago to have a large roster of gold characters for variety instead of focusing on a handful of super strong chars.

The person above is quite right that rift battles are too stressful.

ppl, results are in and I went up a tier(gold 1 to diamond 4). im don't know how to feel about that because I have been matched with a few gold 1s and lost so bad its embarrassing. im gonna die. :(

I went up from G2 to D4 with the rank of 1962 lol.

15 battles total, won me one close battle with theo, the rest were won normally.

I was considering I might go up a rank, but going up into diamonds was not expected - there were some G3 people with better teams than mine and all the D4s I met were a nightmare to deal with and basically a guaranteed loss. With one exception maybe.

Reactions: Luke
I only did 2 battles, one a win and one a loss, and still I went up a rank. I don’t really know how and I don’t feel prepared but okay haha

15 battles total, won me one close battle with theo, the rest were won normally.

I was considering I might go up a rank, but going up into diamonds was not expected - there were some G3 people with better teams than mine and all the D4s I met were a nightmare to deal with and basically a guaranteed loss. With one exception maybe.
Second week of rift battles I was so afraid of that “find opponent” botton but curiosity won out annnnnd I’m paired with this god tier player with 100k+ boss node, with two painwheels.
I ain’t event gonna try.

Ps my own boss node is 65.7

Reactions: ALUni
I don't know how Rift rank works. I only play 2 time (and also lost 2 times) but my tier is suddenly increased. From Silver 3 into Gold 4. It's annoying when you meet a team like "7k and 1k" in one node.

I feel like I lost a bunch, but I amazingly went from silver 3 to gold 3. I don’t know how it happened.

Second week of rift battles I was so afraid of that “find opponent” botton but curiosity won out annnnnd I’m paired with this god tier player with 100k+ boss node, with two painwheels.
I ain’t event gonna try.

Ps my own boss node is 65.7
I assume lots of players didn't play rift battles at all and their ranks plummeted, so in comparison our ranks went up, since the rank system works on relative numbers. That is, it was probably enough to just participate to get into at least top 10%. It was probably enough to stomp on silvers to get into top 1%.

PS: My boss node is 3 Squigglies (gold Dead Heat, gold DoW, diamond Poltergust) at 54.3K, get on my level.

Reactions: Luke

I made 2014 pts, i went up from G1 to D2 its so much rank up and not much points of difference with you. (Almost 3 battles)

I'm also at Diamond 2 with 2035 points, which is shocking to me. I didn't even make it to top 10% of the elemental prize fight with nearly 20 million points there, so it's not like people weren't playing *something* in Skullgirls Mobile.

It's just that Rift battles are horribly unpopular I guess.

Reactions: ALUni and Luke
Ok, I'll throw my results in too.

Ranked up from Silver 1 (1700 'seed' rating - 1742 final after 14 battles) to Gold 2!?

1st Battle of the 2nd Season is against Gold 1 (1885). Opponent completed my map 1st attempt in 30 min. Ridiculous.

Not gonna do many Rift battles this season. I will play 1 battle a day, since I've I'm gonna lose rating anyway, might as well minimize it (if paired against a stronger Opponent, you'll lose less than the -16 you would to decay) and earn some Rift Coins too and after 7 days, qualify for season rewards.

When Rift Battles started, my initial rank was Diamond 4. At the end of the week, it was still Diamond 4.
-_-"
My final rating was in the 1900s. Honestly I'm glad I got some Diamond shards but I'm not sure I want to invest too much into Rift Battles the way they currently work.

New season is up, I went out and met another D4 guy with even worse team than me. Well, TBH it's probably about the same FS wise, but his fighter distribution is questionable, and he's currently in a middle of crashing and burning.

I think I'll tone down on drifting and will limit it to once per day. Let's see where it goes.

Reactions: fanghoul and Luke