• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Rift battle general discussion

Ok, I'll throw my results in too.

Ranked up from Silver 1 (1700 'seed' rating - 1742 final after 14 battles) to Gold 2!?

1st Battle of the 2nd Season is against Gold 1 (1885). Opponent completed my map 1st attempt in 30 min. Ridiculous.

Not gonna do many Rift battles this season. I will play 1 battle a day, since I've I'm gonna lose rating anyway, might as well minimize it (if paired against a stronger Opponent, you'll lose less than the -16 you would to decay) and earn some Rift Coins too and after 7 days, qualify for season rewards.
How much is decay anyways? I always had time to do 2 matches everyday. (Ain’t saying I won I’m just saying I played the thing)

How much is decay anyways? I always had time to do 2 matches everyday. (Ain’t saying I won I’m just saying I played the thing)
-16 rating points every 72 hours of not participating in a Rift Battle.

Playing 7 battles to lose will reduce your rating more than not playing all week, but by playing, you will qualify for rewards at the end of the season (most likely at a lower rank) also, you will still earn some Rift Coins even for losing those battles.

So, the question I have; is that 7 battle rating loss worth the pittance of coins (per battle loss) and rewards? I mean, if you asses the pairing to be in your favor, go for the win, but in my experience 80% of the time I'm at the disadvantage. 7 losses will have my rating below 1700 by the end of the season and most likely in Silver rank, which might help pairings in season3?

Last edited:
Isn't that cheaper than playing and losing?
Depends on the rating of your opponent. My 1st loss this season was only -10 since my opponent had a rating of 1885 vs my 1742. But I'm trying to earn the most resources with the minimal effort. If participation rewards were ignored, yes, decay is the better option for one's overall rating, season to season.

I ended the first season at a rating of 1967 and went from Gold 1 all the way up to Diamond 3. Overall my plan is simply use the two free tickets daily and just see how I do from there.

If participation rewards were ignored,
Ah, I totally forgot that you need minimum number of battles to qualify for the rewards.

Yep, makes sense.

It will be interesting to see the next season rewards because if participation drops this season, thresholds will move and ranking may swing the other way hard.

-16 rating points every 72 hours of not participating in a Rift Battle.

Playing 7 battles to lose will reduce your rating more than not playing all week, but by playing, you will qualify for rewards at the end of the season (most likely at a lower rank) also, you will still earn some Rift Coins even for losing those battles.

So, the question I have; is that 7 battle rating loss worth the pittance of coins (per battle loss) and rewards? I mean, if you asses the pairing to be in your favor, go for the win, but in my experience 80% of the time I'm at the disadvantage. 7 losses will have my rating below 1700 by the end of the season and most likely in Silver rank, which might help pairings in season3?
For me the loss is worth it.(14x17=238) because once I lose enough rating I get to win a few, so that put the total coins to somewhere like: 10x17+4x55=390
That’s 250 shard of my choice ;)
for free too.

I just wanna say im on my six loss in row thx for ruining the game

I would suggest taking a break from it and bolstering your army as much as you can through Prize Fights. Or, if you'd still like to qualify for Rift rewards no matter the tier, then do the minimum once a day.

Really, you don't even need to try for the bonus awards. I think you could technically start one fight each day, put no effort into any of them, and still earn the rank rewards at the end of the week.

Really, you don't even need to try for the bonus awards. I think you could technically start one fight each day, put no effort into any of them, and still earn the rank rewards at the end of the week.
Yes, that would work for the rank rewards, but if you put forth no effort at all, chances are you'll lose, so you run the risk of getting worse rank rewards. If you're trying to stay in a certain tier, probably would be good to actually try. Otherwise, yeah, start Rift and check in 2 hours later.

Yes, that would work for the rank rewards, but if you put forth no effort at all, chances are you'll lose, so you run the risk of getting worse rank rewards. If you're trying to stay in a certain tier, probably would be good to actually try. Otherwise, yeah, start Rift and check in 2 hours later.

True, but we're talking about advice to someone that's willing to give up on the mode completely. Getting diminishing returns on extremely low effort is better than getting zero returns on zero effort.

I actualy like the game mode. Sometimes the matchmaking is screwy but the majority of my matches have been fairly evenly matched.

Coming to the end of the second season, I'm not sure what I think about the mode. I know by now that my particular feelings at any given moment seem to be directly related to my current Rift Mode Multiplier. At the moment it's 1.6x after a couple incredibly lopsided battles with Gold 1s, and I am all happy thoughts. If tomorrow I somehow get thrown against a Diamond 1, I'm probably not going to like the mode again.

It's a little like a slot machine, and one that weirdly favors players that are already doing well in the game. So much of the results of a battle are pre-determined by whether the person I'm matched up against has better or worse characters on average than I do, and so is largely out of my hands. I mean, I've also messed up and lost rift battles I could have won, and had some I narrowly won but could have lost, but cases where that's even an option feel more like the exception than the rule.

I still love the strategy that it takes to get through all the nodes, and I keep seeing new ways people are setting up their base up. A particularly horrendous diamond Brain Freeze in the 1v1 immunity node? Yeah, that's a tough one to crack, nice thought there. The fact that my gold Just Kitten Ms. Fortune, who has horrible stats but also that random evade, made someone take three attempts at an easy node today? Makes me want to cackle.

One of the Gold 1's I fought recently had their diamonds spread out all over the place, which made the boss node easier, but did require more thought from me as to who would be used where, rather than cracking the center "nut" of the boss node, and then cleaning up with my half finished characters. I don't know if that was a better strategy, but it was at least interesting, which is the point really. But they were still a Gold 1 to my Diamond 2, and so it was pretty hopeless for them, and I can't see them having gotten much out of the experience :/

Second season over, rewards are out.

Diamond 4 with 1952 points. Seems like threshold haven't changed much.

There were a couple of thrown games. Met a G1 dude with 1860ish rating and a team much stronger than mine. Soon it became apparent why - he wasn't even trying to do anything, so free points.

All in all it seems even-ish, though typically G1 people have a bit stronger teams than mine (I have 2 diamonds and ~58K FS boss node). Also the most annoying part is fighting teams that have enough meat to win the Boss/Armour node on timeout. Dying to your own screw ups is one thing, not being able to grind through HP in time is another.

Also even-ish means there's about equal amount of annoyingly stronger and laughably weaker teams. I'd say matchmaking spread is a bit excessive.