• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Rift battle general discussion

The perms bleeds do stick through sacrosanct. Xenomorph has a problem against surgeon general though because of the immunity.
Gotta apply that Doom within 30 sec or get lucky with a forced tag out. I've beaten the node when a Surgeon General was on it using Xeno. Obviously results will vary between players and instances.

When I tried with xeno the enemy just tags out the second doom is inflicted. Annnd no doom.

The more i play, the more issues i face with the rift boss node. ...
This is just an example and maybe i just need a better strategy to deal with this node. But due to the 200% HP bonus it is very hard to deal with a strong healer like SG, but getting her to tag in is purely a matter of RNG, wasting a lot of time. ...
Personally i feel like the node may deserve to be nerfed a bit in the HP department, or to have the mod changed to allow for more easily inflicting debuffs. Again, this may just be a matter of me being outclassed in my current ranking, but from my perspective the node may be a bit much at the moment.
I have her but haven't leveled her yet. But Doom shouldn't be the one thing required (and i use that word quite liberally here) to beat the node.

I'm only on level 30 and my strongest fighter is about 3.1k ish, so keep that in mind when I speak on numbers since I don't know exactly how hard top tier attackers are hitting the defenders with, but I'm logically applying a scale based off FS having a drastic spike from bronze lvl 1 at 90 FS to a diamond level whatever packing upwards of 40,000.

IMO it's not so much the numbers and effects at play as a whole that cause an issue but their distribution. The mode is of course trying to emulate letting the player "be the boss" while also give room to play around with "evil plotting" for the thematic skeleton of the mode, and this is (more or less) a unanimously well received decision over all so they're on the right track with much of the framework. Where I see issue though, is balance and/or sensibility. For one, any PvP based game/mode should be striving to do its best to accomplish two things:

1) Establishing a formula that will give the same (by scale) level of incentive, fairness, challenge, consistency, and reward for players on the lowest end of the spectrum all the way to the highest end of the spectrum.
2) Being centered around and dictated by the element of skill as the #1 factor that plays into the outcome of competition.
Being that there's no real-time PvP obviously there are things they should and have to do to achieve these things or the defenders will always be at a disadvantage, to the point of endangering the mode entirely, so having buffs and the most aggressive (not mindlessly) AI possible (debatable since some have said it performed questionably but in my experience it's borderline brutal at times, depends on the defender(s) though) is logical.

However, the nodes are "all your eggs in one basket" structurally- assuming a match between two teams and only considering unmodified damage and 0 team synergy:
First node- is practically meaningless, side nodes range from "better than nothing" to "decent generally, potentially quite obnoxious on the right defender".
Middle-side (singles)- more or less appropriate (imo)
Bottom "Miniboss"- sequentially about right but debatably overtuned about 25% on numbers and undertuned on buffs (comparatively)
Top "Miniboss"- basically beat the ever living s*** out of them relentlessly and quickly as possible or risk getting run down even by defender teams with practically no synergy, or just use fighters so stompy that it doesn't matter
Boss Node- Basically a final battle of the arc anime fight; not just that, but an anime fight themed around mobile games. Ideally in my opinion the numbers need to be dropped about 50-75% at least for HP and ATK. ***

Proper balancing in for game that wants to base itself on skill and strategy while offering diversity means it's quintessential that all players have the same resources and restrictions on a basic enough level that they physically have the capability to make the right choices and then be lead to victory if they capitalize on the fact they did with skill.
If you're anywhere between new and a veteran with enough time sunk in to have gotten at least one copy of every unit you'd need to counter pick (not even considering if they're viably leveled like Ryouhi's case) which competitive Skullgirls in its original form has, which is the reason it has a competitive scene. On mobile, if you don't have one of those things for reasons out of your control you have to simply posses brute power of a high enough caliber that you can just remove/cushion the severe disadvantage if you don't.

I played League of Legends for close to five years and it has around 140 characters, 100+ items with varying stats and their own abilities in the game, and 4 min abilities on each character but as many as 6 for some. Now that's alot of variables to account for, and yet the only difference in the number 1 player and the lowest ranked player is skill and knowledge. Skullgirls has enough things going on between all the characters that even in a perfect matchmaking situation your loss or win can come down to straight up luck, and as it's been said there are situations where essentially loops can be exploited to make a battle virtually impossible.

In League the numbers on stuff needed changing very frequently for the sake of one handful of champs/strats from being undisputably the best, but even then situations where players found abusable correlations with champs/strats result in imbalances that made things essentially just "play it, ban it, counter it, otherwise lose." At that point skill is not a factor but to the smallest degree. At that point nobody but those who like hollow wins and doing the same stuff repetitiously enjoy the game. The structure of this game dictates veteran players should have an incontestable advantage over new players, and that is perfectly fine as its the cost of accessibility since League took 6 months before I even had the basics remotely under wraps- that game was like super chess as for learning curve.

This one should still have a balance though, even it were merely differing nodes for different tiers. The sad thing is, these things scale IMMENSELY- to the point where genuinely the stronger you are the more unfair it becomes. 200% means waaaaay different things for people with 1 fighter strolling up with 20k FS than one with 2000, just stat buffs alone. Throw in stuff like the boss node and you're talking about having to play flawlessly as far as I'm concerned, and this description you gave pretty much seals that for me. These things are acceptable for a campaign boss, they're intended to be, well, a boss. You have time to lose, grind, restratetgise, get new fighters, etc.
But PvP is woorlds different, at it's core it is a measure of you vs someone you should be considered more or less equal with, which isn't the case here for a handful of reasons. You don't have all the luxuries that you do in a repeatable fight scenario.

Prize Fights are much more accurate to a true PvP mode even with the gimped AI, but even then I still virtually only lose matches when the streak builds so high that my 3 opponent choices spike dramatically from "If I'm in the zone I got this" to "Wow just one fighter is stronger than my entire team and there's three. Time to reset the streak I guess." I've pretty much laid it all out there but by this point any unspoken aspects should still loop back off what I did, because all these things need to be in sync or the whole thing crumbles inevitably.

I still love the game but objectively this is reality of it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's observed this.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***"YOU'RE a F2P? HOW ARE YOU THIS POWERFUL? Well, I was actually lying when I said this was my final form 6 minutes ago, like I was the other 4 times.
Beep Boop Power Creep Engage
"Your grind means nothing! Now I can magically match the strongest warrior, haha! In this form all abilities reflect and home in on the energy of the one it originated from, and when it inevitably hits you it adds my power to the impact as well- in addition to everything else at my disposal. CAN YOU SURVIVE TRIPLE YOUR OWN ATTACKS, CARROT MAN!? Also there's 3 of me now, I learned the shadow clone jutsu during that flashback you watched."

Hmm. By all logic this narratively is not possible, Vegetable and Pickle died and matchmaking screwed him regardless. Even if he had 2 plot convenience beans to give Carrot another two full HP revives this is doomed to end the same way. There's 3 more arcs though so obviously somehow this happens.

"Wait just a minute Frigidaire! You think that you'll get me to make me choose between forfeiting the Dragon Bells or spending my family's savings on Need To Win Beans, but I'm F2P! I don't have any money, and if I did I wouldn't need it to beat you- so I'll never lose to you! While you were explaining your transformation, I used the plot hole jutsu to change types, power my strength to the maximum, and create two more versions of me that are your COUNTER PICKS! HAAAAAAAAA"

Teleports, single dramatic punch, combo, blockbuster, repeat 2 more times
"You might have won if I hadn't trained for so long that I countered you, and honestly my skill alone wouldn't have saved me from your brute strength. But luckily I only needed Pickle and Vegetable to carry the other two important nodes, and your base fodder wasn't stronger than my sacrificial lambs. That doesn't matter now though, I've won. It's over, Freezer Burnt. I'll probably have to fight your dad next and lose, and then
I'll go against your brother again when the matchmaking resets my streak, but he'll end up the same way."

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryouhi
When I tried with xeno the enemy just tags out the second doom is inflicted. Annnd no doom.
The way I do it, is I try to apply doom asap on the first opponent, then force them to tag out and apply it to the second. Then I turtle for a bit, let one fighter die, then usually the other Doomed fighter comes back and it’s another 30 sec wait, then only one opponent remains. At that point, it’s much easier to handle, though I’m usually down to like 1:30 sec on the clock left. Of course, you have to get really lucky to get 2 dooms applied in the first 30 sec when against a team with Surgeon General. And Bio-Exorcist (and to a lesser degree Last Hope) kind of throw a wrench in the Doom timer plan. But for the most part, I’ve had decent luck using Xeno to get through boss nodes.

Reactions: fanghoul and Luke
The way I do it, is I try to apply doom asap on the first opponent, then force them to tag out and apply it to the second. Then I turtle for a bit, let one fighter die, then usually the other Doomed fighter comes back and it’s another 30 sec wait, then only one opponent remains. At that point, it’s much easier to handle, though I’m usually down to like 1:30 sec on the clock left. Of course, you have to get really lucky to get 2 dooms applied in the first 30 sec when against a team with Surgeon General. And Bio-Exorcist (and to a lesser degree Last Hope) kind of throw a wrench in the Doom timer plan. But for the most part, I’ve had decent luck using Xeno to get through boss nodes.
You I like your method.
My xeno is only lvl46. Once I got her to diamond ima be like you. But for now my pultergust is actually amazing. Just an hour ago she soloed (with SG support of course) a 97k boss node with buzzkill HQ and SK. My pultergust is lvl51 atm.

Xeno doom persists across tagouts. It does get removed if xeno is killed though. So enemies tagging out with doom on is actually good since you don't have to wait 30 seconds to doom the next enemy.

Xeno doom persists across tagouts. It does get removed if xeno is killed though. So enemies tagging out with doom on is actually good since you don't have to wait 30 seconds to doom the next enemy.
This is true when I test in training, but I could swear I tried the doom on rift boss node to “cheat” but once the fighter tagged back in(and it was the one I inflicted doom on previously) the doom is no more. I might need to test more tomorrow when the rift tickets refreshes.

This is true when I test in training, but I could swear I tried the doom on rift boss node to “cheat” but once the fighter tagged back in(and it was the one I inflicted doom on previously) the doom is no more. I might need to test more tomorrow when the rift tickets refreshes.
Maybe your Xeno died?

I believe I doomed an AF a couple of days ago on the boss node.

The 3 things I do not like about rift battles are the boss nodes, what happens if you're outmatched and the frequency in which I have to play in order to maintain my rating. The boss node gives a 200% boost for both atk AND hp, which can do a lot for anyone. On top of that, some fighters become nearly impossible to take on without a team specifically made to counter them (looking at you Bio). It would at least be less difficult if Sacrosanct wasn't the big modifier. That seriously limits the amount of options you have to take on certain fighters, which are massively boosted.

Sometimes I don't play something because I don't need whatever I'm getting from it (i.e. basic daily events because no one needs bronze moves). I get that this is a way to convince someone to keep playing, which is cool and all. But if you don't play long enough, you lose a lot from your rift rating. And if you're in diamond or higher, you know how devastating that can be. Rewards in anything below diamond league aren't really worth the time and effort. And forcing someone to play matches where they may be massively outmatched is seriously not fun.

Which leads me to the final issue I have with rift battles. As I play them more, I see more issues. I guess part of it is that my fighters aren't good enough since the best I have is an 11k Harlequin, which is still pretty good, but sometimes. not good enough. But still, most of the time, I see people with at least 6 decently leveled diamonds (which are all on the armor and boss node. the worst nodes to be dealing with them) and losing gives you nothing. Except for a dozen or so rift coins. Its not worth the time and effort to try to take on someone who massively outmatches you and defeats all the nodes on your map with one attempt.

For the boss node, I'd say drop it from 200% to ~150%. Other than that, I think it should be fine. Although I want to see matchmaking have something of a rework so that it matches you with people that are closer in terms of collection and strength of the fighters to yourself (in my case, anyone without diamonds and golds anywhere from 6k to 11k). I still like the idea of rift battles, but I feel like these are issues that still need to be worked out.

The 3 things I do not like about rift battles are the boss nodes, what happens if you're outmatched and the frequency in which I have to play in order to maintain my rating. The boss node gives a 200% boost for both atk AND hp, which can do a lot for anyone. On top of that, some fighters become nearly impossible to take on without a team specifically made to counter them (looking at you Bio). It would at least be less difficult if Sacrosanct wasn't the big modifier. That seriously limits the amount of options you have to take on certain fighters, which are massively boosted.

Sometimes I don't play something because I don't need whatever I'm getting from it (i.e. basic daily events because no one needs bronze moves). I get that this is a way to convince someone to keep playing, which is cool and all. But if you don't play long enough, you lose a lot from your rift rating. And if you're in diamond or higher, you know how devastating that can be. Rewards in anything below diamond league aren't really worth the time and effort. And forcing someone to play matches where they may be massively outmatched is seriously not fun.

Which leads me to the final issue I have with rift battles. As I play them more, I see more issues. I guess part of it is that my fighters aren't good enough since the best I have is an 11k Harlequin, which is still pretty good, but sometimes. not good enough. But still, most of the time, I see people with at least 6 decently leveled diamonds (which are all on the armor and boss node. the worst nodes to be dealing with them) and losing gives you nothing. Except for a dozen or so rift coins. Its not worth the time and effort to try to take on someone who massively outmatches you and defeats all the nodes on your map with one attempt.

For the boss node, I'd say drop it from 200% to ~150%. Other than that, I think it should be fine. Although I want to see matchmaking have something of a rework so that it matches you with people that are closer in terms of collection and strength of the fighters to yourself (in my case, anyone without diamonds and golds anywhere from 6k to 11k). I still like the idea of rift battles, but I feel like these are issues that still need to be worked out.

That's how I feel. If you had more freedom to tackle a node with whoever is a good option against the lineup, and they move some of the excessive roids/second non-stat buffs down to a more neglected node then I think it'd be alot better. Between the fact so many viable options for attackers can be screened out essentially by one of 4 buffs, and there being such little to help other nodes actually be more than a spike trap made of toothpicks, it's kinda senseless. Especially since the node with the most unimpressive buff is the gateway for the boss branches you'd think it'd be like a security door, but it's more like a bowling pin lol.

Plus, I kinda feel like fundamentally it doesn't make alot of sense to give a unit super fat stats to be boss-like but then remove the logical solution for fighting brute force, yknow...debuffs. If this were Dark Souls yeah I could see it. This might as well be the same as playing Street Fighter though, but when your opponent picks Ken while you have Ryu you're not allowed to use Hadouken because it might hurt their feelings (。ヘ°)

I'm sure they'll tweak this stuff though, it's normal and expected for the first estimation on stats and passives to be off on the first attempts. It's hard for devs to have accurate data on how the ideas will play out across all of the different variations until players get at it and they have feedback/metrics. They seem to care greatly about the quality and I'm sure don't want to disengage veterans either.

Nah, that's the way it's supposed to work. Well, not sure about supposed, but the way it inevitably works.

Since you get matched by rift rating, each time you win it goes up and you get matched against stronger players without your own team really changing, and each time you lose, it goes down and you get matched against weaker players. So long rift streaks, either winning or losing, aren't normal and more of a luck (unless you already sit at whichever end of the spectrum).

Well if it is luck then it's garbage. I've been sitting between 1910 and 1940 points, but i just got paired with 3 2000+ lv 70 players with at least 11 diamonds, all over 100k boss nodes. I don't stand a fighting chance because my bleeds all bounce back too. Maybe I'm just supposed to stay where i am? Where's the fun in 0 progression?

Reactions: ALUni
Well, I wrote up a fairly large post which the forum detected as spam? No idea why, I know it was somewhat longwinded, but still; Guess I'll try and shorthand my thoughts.

I'm really frustrated with Rift Battles, wish I could stop playing them but I need the diamond tier rewards for my couple of diamond characters. I lose a lot, will probably be relegated before long. Wish there was a consistant way of getting diamond keys otherwise.

Largely I feel like I have the wrong teams, characters and moves set up in a game that's become increasingly cut-and-dry about who's the right picks, with the right moves. I also get really anxious due to how close this now is to actual PVP, which makes me worse at decision making compared to the other modes.

Reactions: Ryouhi
l also get really anxious due to how close this now is to actual PVP, which makes me worse at decision making compared to the other modes.
Why? Pvp is more likely gonna suck balls since everyone just blocks and fighters can be killed in 1 combo in a 1:1 scenario withput mods

Why? Pvp is more likely gonna suck balls since everyone just blocks and fighters can be killed in 1 combo in a 1:1 scenario withput mods
Tsk, I wish I could have posted the whole thing I typed out the other day, I did elaborate but it was branded as 'spam'

Anyway..

Just one of my quirks. Always been that way; the few times I've played online with fighting games I've always had to have substantial breaks between because of how nervous I get. I think it depends on how much pressure I feel individually. I played Team Fortress 2 way back when and I didn't have any major problems there. It's just that in a 2 hour game vs someone seems to trigger this in me and much of the logic I try and go into each fight slowly gets worse as the match goes on. Yeah, I know, makes no sense, but then people have all sorts of phobias that make no sense.

At the end of the day I'm mostly venting to a sense that I feel compelled to do the Rift Battles when it makes the game less fun for me. Had an actual decent win today which helped things (a +20 vs 10 sort of win), although they're fleeting sensations of fun against the ongoing nerves I feel when participating in the seven minimum matches I need to get involved in to prevent the rot.

On that note, how drastic is the rot, does anyone have some examples?

Tsk, I wish I could have posted the whole thing I typed out the other day, I did elaborate but it was branded as 'spam'

Anyway..

Just one of my quirks. Always been that way; the few times I've played online with fighting games I've always had to have substantial breaks between because of how nervous I get. I think it depends on how much pressure I feel individually. I played Team Fortress 2 way back when and I didn't have any major problems there. It's just that in a 2 hour game vs someone seems to trigger this in me and much of the logic I try and go into each fight slowly gets worse as the match goes on. Yeah, I know, makes no sense, but then people have all sorts of phobias that make no sense.

At the end of the day I'm mostly venting to a sense that I feel compelled to do the Rift Battles when it makes the game less fun for me. Had an actual decent win today which helped things (a +20 vs 10 sort of win), although they're fleeting sensations of fun against the ongoing nerves I feel when participating in the seven minimum matches I need to get involved in to prevent the rot.

On that note, how drastic is the rot, does anyone have some examples?
If you're like me it probably stems from a sense of disappointing yourself by not performing to what you know are your own capabilities and fear getting tilted by it which would result in more losses.

I used to be bad about it on a couple of specific games, and had super bad ranked anxiety in League of Legends (which on that note, the anxiety is 10x worse in a game where people are toxic since you're already critical of your own mistakes if you make any, and they'll flame you despite themselves being horrendous all the time- because they're insecure.) I trained myself to get out of it though and just be objective about where I need to improve and strive to observe those efforts bare fruit. Still, in ranked games I'll prepare alot harder than the average person before I jump in just to avoid bad ratings that I'd get from being ignorant of my inexperience.

As a result, rift battles for me have been quite one sided lol...my base has been 2-3x more stacked than 7/10 of my opponents. Kinda like grinding a team of Pokemon to level 40 to fight the 2nd gym or something lmao.
Though this one guy...I cleared all of his base except his boss node, because he had apparently invested practically everything he ever got into a SK that was sporting 12k FS. He lost in points by a landslide of course, but man my eyes popped seeing that one fighter the same FS as my top team of a nat diamond and 2 golds combined. I didn't even know a silver could reach 12k...he must've had some stacked stats on his moves.[brain fart]

Last edited:
If you're like me it probably stems from a sense of disappointing yourself by not performing to what you know are your own capabilities and fear getting tilted by it which would result in more losses.

I used to be bad about it on a couple of specific games, and had super bad ranked anxiety in League of Legends (which on that note, the anxiety is 10x worse in a game where people are toxic since you're already critical of your own mistakes if you make any, and they'll flame you despite themselves being horrendous all the time- because they're insecure.) I trained myself to get out of it though and just be objective about where I need to improve and strive to observe those efforts bare fruit. Still, in ranked games I'll prepare alot harder than the average person before I jump in just to avoid bad ratings that I'd get from being ignorant of my inexperience.

As a result, rift battles for me have been quite one sided lol...my base has been 2-3x more stacked than 7/10 of my opponents. Kinda like grinding a team of Pokemon to level 40 to fight the 2nd gym or something lmao.
Though this one guy...I cleared all of his base except his boss node, because he had apparently invested practically everything he ever got into a SK that was sporting 12k FS. He lost in points by a landslide of course, but man my eyes popped seeing that one fighter the same FS as my top team of a nat diamond and 2 golds combined. I didn't even know a silver could reach 12k...he must've had some stacked stats on his moves.
Wait a second... I thought Silent Kill was gold!

Wait a second... I thought Silent Kill was gold!
OOF. I believe my seeing his avatar as an IcyHot he silvered got mixed in my brain with SK who he had on the boss node. He only had 2 fighters actually upgraded any higher than 2000 (I believe) and both were Valentine, and both were water type. I feel a bit slow for not realizing that at the time but if you laid eyes on as many IH and SKs as I have today between Valentine origin, PF, and Rift, you might get them swapped up too (also mental exhaustion). SK and IH are truthfully only a few shades off from one another barring the red hair on IH, so I guess my brain was like "water valentine = sk" but his avatar was silver.

Anyways thank you for pointing that out otherwise I likely wouldn't have even stopped to recognize the issue in what I said rofl- I hit peak doof today ( º﹃º )

I need to sleep obviously lmao.

Though this one guy...I cleared all of his base except his boss node, because he had apparently invested practically everything he ever got into a SK that was sporting 12k FS. He lost in points by a landslide of course, but man my eyes popped seeing that one fighter the same FS as my top team of a nat diamond and 2 golds combined. I didn't even know a silver could reach 12k...he must've had some stacked stats on his moves.

Yeah, I mean that makes sense. I recall a time I played Battlefield 2142, which being what...64 vs 64? or somesuch, I felt little pressure, and I always played support since I don't have great twitch aiming, but could run vehicles well enough. With the TF2 example, again, fairly large teams or endless 2fort nonsense aside there were no stakes whatsoever in most games.

As soon as grades, ranks and scores matter, the sweats set in. Been years with the 'condition' if you want to call it that, so I doubt I'll be changing any time soon.

Yeah, I mean that makes sense. I recall a time I played Battlefield 2142, which being what...64 vs 64? or somesuch, I felt little pressure, and I always played support since I don't have great twitch aiming, but could run vehicles well enough. With the TF2 example, again, fairly large teams or endless 2fort nonsense aside there were no stakes whatsoever in most games.

As soon as grades, ranks and scores matter, the sweats set in. Been years with the 'condition' if you want to call it that, so I doubt I'll be changing any time soon.
Yea it was particularly rough for me in League since one of my mains was a champ that alot of the community flamed out of blind hatred or bias. He was a difficult to effectively play champion for bad players because he was high risk high reward, so he was known for either being "broken" or "instaloss" by alot of people depending on who played him. Due to this it was insanely difficult to learn him because he already had a high learning curve and was a melee champ that laned versus mostly ranged opponents, and then you had both your own team flaming you for playing him before the game even started and the opponents trying to criticize your every move to tilt you.

As difficult as it was at first I kept ignoring them and focusing on improvement instead of listening to people judge my skill before they saw it, when I knew how hard I'd worked to earn that skill. Then I had games where someone at the beginning of the game would be spouting about how they're team was doomed because I picked Yasuo, only for me to carry them with plays like this.

After seeing the fruits of my labor, I just gradually lost my anxiety and instead found it replaced with a drive to live up to what I knew I could when I tried. It may not work that way for everyone but that's how it was for me.

What would people think of a mini boss node that boosted hp and atk by 100% but instead of modifies the defensive fighters were hidden from the attacker. This would be like in story missions where you get random defenders but instead they arent random but rather pre assigned just hidden from the attacker. I think this would be a cool way to be able to make it hard to counter defensive variants, well the lack of a modifier would keep the node from being impossible. Im not sure though it could either end up as a fun cat and mouse game as you try and guess how to counter your opponents fighters or might just be rng fueled meh.