• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

OFFICIAL: Robo Fortune Release and Possible New Characters

MightyZug

Game Director
Hidden Variable Dev
Reaction score
Website
www.hiddenvariable.com
Hey everyone!

With 3.2 around the corner, we wanted to give you an update on some changes we’re going to be making regarding how Robo Fortune will be rolled out (compared to our previous characters).

VFFrJyZ.jpg

OVERVIEW OF CHANGES
While more details will come as we get closer to 3.2, in brief:
  • Robo Fortune Relics WILL NOT be made available for purchase in the Relic store when 3.2 launches (just like we did with the Ms. Fortune launch)
  • Robo Fortune WILL be available in “Standard” Relics (Premiere, Bronze/Silver/Gold/Diamond, Jackpot, etc) with INCREASED ODDS of pulling Robo Fortune instead of other Characters
  • Robo Fortune’s Prize Fight and Relics WILL NOT be scheduled until 3.3 launches (roughly 6 weeks after 3.2)
  • Robo Fortune’s Daily Events WILL be available when 3.2 launches
  • Robo Fortune Relics WILL be added to all Fighter Variety Packs when 3.2 launches
PAVING THE WAY FOR BRAND NEW CHARACTERS
As many of you know, we’re nearing the end of the original Skullgirls character roster. This means that we’re on the cusp of something EVERYONE has been eager to dig into ever since this project started years ago — creating BRAND NEW CHARACTERS!

KE8I7ru.jpg

However, animating and implementing brand new HAND DRAWN characters (even for mobile) ISN'T CHEAP! In order for us to be able to justify the significant up front investment required to make new characters, we need to ensure that each new character launch is generating enough revenue to justify its costs. As such, these changes are intended to help make new Characters a bit more rare and exclusive for the immediate period after they are launched to hopefully help us achieve that goal.

As always, we strive to be as transparent as possible with all of you so we can collectively achieve what we’re all hungry for - an ever growing roster of Skullgirls characters moving forward!

We’re super excited about what the rest of 2019 (and beyond) will hold for Skullgirls - thanks as always for your support!

Much love,
Charley (MightyZug) and all of us at Hidden Variable

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for being honest with us at least i respect a dev team who says what needs to be said, even if it could be bad for the specific player such as Future characters being slighty harder to get in the start of their launch.
But if that means We get brand new fighters. then I'm 100% behind it!

Super hyped for Robo! I can’t wait to see which palettes were chosen and what sort of SA’s she’ll have. Do you guys have an idea of who the first brand new character would be yet?

Ok so, quick question. Will Robo relics be available in CoC on launch? Also great work, everything looks amazing!!!

so when/if brand new characters get created, is there any faint hope that the work done on them could go towards the actual full Skullgirls game/a sequel in some fashion? I'm sure it won't be as much as the full spritesheets as the original games but a good portion of the work will already be done at the very least.

so hyped!!! R.Fortune is one of my favorite characters by far. can’t wait to catastrophe cannon all of my opponents òwó
i’ve been wanting brand new characters for quite awhile now so seeing that the plan for them hasn’t died off is really exciting. even though it’ll take a lot of resources to get there i’m sure we can make it!

I get the need for trying to promote spending in a F2P game like SGM. One thing I would suggest: in addition to adding new character relics to the Fighter Variety packs, consider also making bundles featuring just the new character relics available for purchase. Fighter Variety packs are on the expensive end; if there was a $5 or $10 option that got me some new character relics, I'd be more likely to throw some financial support.

P.S. - Do Panzerfaust next. He's just so beefy. One of his flavor texts could be "Tank beats everything!"

Ok so, quick question. Will Robo relics be available in CoC on launch? Also great work, everything looks amazing!!!
I assume the answer is "no". I think that would defeat the intention of trying to promote more financial gains in the first 6 weeks after a new character's release, since people can get relics from CoC without spending a dime. I imagine Robo-Fortune relics will enter the CoC at the same time as they enter the Relic Store.

While it’s exciting to get more new characters, I think it’s just as important to continue working on polishing existing content, balance current characters, and fine-tuning game mechanics. I started a suggestion thread collecting various Quality of Life ideas and would hope they can be addressed before too many new characters get added, because a new character will not keep players playing for long if the system isn’t updated.

Like others have already stated, I also appreciate the transparency for needing funding. There are so many other ways to monetize the game other than selling new characters that will get old in a month or two. I for one would not mind paying some sort of monthly subscription for some perks that’s geared towards Quality of Life/Time saving functions. For example, $20 a month let’s you “auto clear” Daily Events with a push of button, giving you gold moves and some shards. That will save me a good hour each day and I’d gladly pay to skip doing mindless auto battles. Time is money and I hate spending time doing chores in games that are part of game design flaws or outdated systems.

I challenge the community and devs to be creative in coming up with other ways to support the game financially.

First off, let me say i appreciate that you guys are very upfront about these changes and explain your reasoning. I love devs that are open with their fans and engage in discussion and makes me more likely to wanna support them financially.

Now onto the changes. I can see where this is coming from. We are quite lucky with how many relic types we get to increase the odds of getting what we want, especially compared to other gachas, so these changes still seem fair to me.

Really, it will mostly depend on how much the odds of getting Robo from the other relics will be increased to. If they're high enough to reliably get a bunch of Fortunes i'll be fine with this.

---

On the other hand the PF being held back a whole 6 weeks stings a little. This will of course make relics much more attractive on release week, but i feel a 6 week wait time is a little too much.

If I had any say in it, i'd argue holding the PF back for 2 weeks after release would be fair to entice players to buy relics early and still get a few robo fighters reliably with PF rewards.

--

However, i do hope this all goes well and proves a good monetization model to warrant creating new characters in the future! (I assume after L0 has finished work on Indivisible at the earliest?)

Of course my vote goes to the one and only Annie of the Stars as well!

The few concepts of her attacks look super cool with all the space and star themed effects.
Also i just wanna see her try to swear when she loses but not being able due to her mothers wish :3c

On the other hand the PF being held back a whole 6 weeks stings a little. This will of course make relics much more attractive on release week, but i feel a 6 week wait time is a little too much.

If I had any say in it, i'd argue holding the PF back for 2 weeks after release would be fair to entice players to buy relics early and still get a few robo fighters reliably with PF rewards.
I think it's better to wait longer so at least you can be albe to win her moves in her daily event, the only problem it's that they will be impossible to be 100% completed without a Robo Fortune, maybe the two specific fights should be accessible to every fighter or at least Ms Fortune.
Anyway I've see a lot of people that are already collecting relics just to open them when Robo Fortune will be avaiable, i bet that it's useless and it will be like when natural diamonds fighters were released, relics obtained before 3.2 shouldn't give any chance to get her.