• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Other Change the Rift Rating reset threshold

Reshiram18

Reaction score
After one week of the new Rift rating reset system a huge flaw has become apparent. That flaw is that lower diamond tier players could be horribly mismatched against a top ten player because they both got dropped down to a 2000 rating at the start of any given season. However removing the rating reset entirely is not an option because eventually the top player's ratings will inflate so much that finding a match becomes a very difficult task if none of the other very top players are online. I propose the rating reset gets changed to a system where every player above 2100 gets reset to 2100 while every other player keeps their current rating. This makes mismatched fights early on in the season a less likely possibility while also letting the very top players continue to get a match in a reasonable amount of time throughout the week. This allows for weaker diamond accounts to settle at a comfortable rating instead of losing points to far stronger accounts early in the season.

Maybe I’m just not reading your post right but can you explain how setting the reset to 2100 would change anything? Unless you are taking about top 50 getting reset to 2100 and 50-200 reset to 2000? That may help a little but I don’t think you’d be able to avoid getting matched against a stronger player.l regardless.

There are a couple of fundamental flaws to the match making system.

1. This is not chess where every player has the exact same pieces to use for competition. Players with better variants and higher level characters are always going to have advantage over others.

2. There are not enough players in the player base for fair match making when the system requires both players to be searching for an opponent in real time.

It takes hardcore endless daily grinding to level and evolve characters, not to mention the rng nature of relics for pulling specific variant of a character. It is not the nature of this game for every player to compete with equal pieces like Chess. In a way you either pay or grind to win.

One way to level the playing field is to perhaps have system wide caps of how much to total FP is allowed per map and per node. Though, this will restrict strategies greatly and make it pointless to have 20 strong defense characters.

As I said in another thread, it will probably take another week or two for people to settle in the right rank. Perhaps you just don’t belong in diamond tier and should be in gold 1. It’s a given that players stuck between top 200 and top 1% will experience frustration while the ladder adjusts.

Until every player has a full collection and all maxed out characters, there will always be inequality and frustration playing PvP content.

Reactions: Daelon
I have been and currently still am a diamond 3 player
Oh, in that case you should be probably placed within top 200 ;) my bad.
So, how do you propose top 20 ever get matched if they can’t even fight top 200 players? Even when I was diamond 2 it was really hard to get matched on some days. I’d queue up for hours and have no opponents to fight. At least now I almost always get matched within a couple of tries. I get that it sucks to lose, but this is PvP and losing is just inevitable!

Suppose the game doesn’t get higher level cap for the next 2 years - you will eventually catch up to having a similar roster to that of a top 20. Hang in there and try to focus on clearing maps for rift coins rather than winning impossible matchups.

Reactions: vucaar
Oh, in that case you should be probably placed within top 200 ;) my bad.
So, how do you propose top 20 ever get matched if they can’t even fight top 200 players? Even when I was diamond 2 it was really hard to get matched on some days. I’d queue up for hours and have no opponents to fight. At least now I almost always get matched within a couple of tries. I get that it sucks to lose, but this is PvP and losing is just inevitable!

Suppose the game doesn’t get higher level cap for the next 2 years - you will eventually catch up to having a similar roster to that of a top 20. Hang in there and try to focus on clearing maps for rift coins rather than winning impossible matchups.
Anyway the point of my proposal is to allow the system to let the diamond 3-4 players settle into a comfortable rating while perhaps like diamond 2-Legend can duke it out for the very best rewards each week. Also your proposal of resetting certain players to 2000 would be unfair to players who are in gold 1 and trying to get into diamond 4. With my original proposal those gold 1 players will have a better chance of breaking into diamond 4 naturally.

What about to raise the Diamond tier up to top 500? That would improve the chances of finding more equal matches. Having a top 200 right now makes the Diamond Tier, at most of the time, one of the worst tiers to find opponents because there are four ways (in order of appearance):

1. You get matched against a better rank (much better)
2. You get matched against a player with a lower rank (and sometimes really low)
3. You have some difficulties to find a match
4. You find an equal match

So making an example, there are three players searching for a match in a moment (D1, D3 and D4), that top 200 won't be active always, and at the same time (nor in our best dreams) so 2 of them, with luck, will be paired (if not, they will be paired with Gold 1 or Gold 2 surely) and for the other, game will try to find an available match, causing the classic D1 vs G1, D3 vs G1 or D4 vs G2 (I had the luck to find a Diamond 1 as a Gold 1 last week).

I think that would help to have a better matchmaking, because I am a believer that there are a lot of people "overqualified" for the rank Gold 1, and you can say "Hey, that should be fixed in a couple of weeks", but I had seen the difference in some battles with Gold 2 players, most of them doesn't have a diamond, maybe 1 or 2 but no more, or a well built map of golds and sometimes they have to complete with silvers, so if we want them to aspire to a better rank or have the chance that we can find more fun or at least more balanced matches, a good idea would be that, at least that's the way I think.

P.S.: The suggestion I made is not because I want to be a diamond, I know my place and even raising the diamond tier to a supposed top 500 (or 350 or 400), wouldn't give me the rank, I'm a normal Gold 1 (1870 pts.)

What about to raise the Diamond tier up to top 500? That would improve the chances of finding more equal matches. Having a top 200 right now makes the Diamond Tier, at most of the time, one of the worst tiers to find opponents because there are four ways (in order of appearance):

1. You get matched against a better rank (much better)
2. You get matched against a player with a lower rank (and sometimes really low)
3. You have some difficulties to find a match
4. You find an equal match

So making an example, there are three players searching for a match in a moment (D1, D3 and D4), that top 200 won't be active always, and at the same time (nor in our best dreams) so 2 of them, with luck, will be paired (if not, they will be paired with Gold 1 or Gold 2 surely) and for the other, game will try to find an available match, causing the classic D1 vs G1, D3 vs G1 or D4 vs G2 (I had the luck to find a Diamond 1 as a Gold 1 last week).

I think that would help to have a better matchmaking, because I am a believer that there are a lot of people "overqualified" for the rank Gold 1, and you can say "Hey, that should be fixed in a couple of weeks", but I had seen the difference in some battles with Gold 2 players, most of them doesn't have a diamond, maybe 1 or 2 but no more, or a well built map of golds and sometimes they have to complete with silvers, so if we want them to aspire to a better rank or have the chance that we can find more fun or at least more balanced matches, a good idea would be that, at least that's the way I think.

P.S.: The suggestion I made is not because I want to be a diamond, I know my place and even raising the diamond tier to a supposed top 500 (or 350 or 400), wouldn't give me the rank, I'm a normal Gold 1 (1870 pts.)
The question is, do we have large enough of a player base for top 500 to be true diamond tier players? Your idea would only work if that is the case. If not, many gold 1s would be bumped up to diamond 4. My guess is that was the reason they changed D4 from top 1% to top 100.