• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Other SGM Roguelite Game Mode Concept

Fel

wuf
Reaction score
Atrium Adventure

Premise: A new game mode that takes inspiration from roguelite modes from other games (Dungeon Run - Hearthstone, Arcane Labyrinth - AFK Arena)

Goals: To provide a less competitive game mode that is enjoyable and provides new experiences on multiple playthroughs. I personally feel my biggest issue with the game currently is the stress of competitive game modes (Rift Battles) and the repetitiveness of recurring game modes (Dailies, PFs).

Gameplay
Notes will be in this style

Basics:
  • Only fighters you own can be found in this game mode.
  • All fighters are found as diamonds.
  • There are 5 upgrade tiers to fighters, each unlocking a circle of the fighter's skill tree.
  • These upgrades are purchased with Atrium Coins, obtained by winning fights.
  • All damage done to fighters are retained after each fight.
  • Atrium Catalysts are passive upgrades to your fighters (e.g. Unga Bunga: +10% atk to Cerebella fighters, ER: all fighters heal 10% of their max HP when an enemy is defeated)

Owning duplicate fighters could either grant additional chances to "draft" that fighter or provide a stat boost

Starting the Raid:
Players will start by selecting 3 fighters from a random choice of 5.
These fighters will start at level 1.

Map Layout:
Players will be presented with 3 nodes to choose from. The types of nodes could include:
  • Normal, Hard and Advanced fights - Self explanatory. EXP, Atrium Coins, Atrium Catalysts and Skills are awarded for winning
  • Shop - Taliesin sells you fighters, skills and atrium catalysts
  • Clinic - Heals or Resurrects fighters
  • Event - Random events that have varying outcomes (e.g. free relic, a fighter loses 50% hp etc.)
After clearing a certain number of nodes, you will fight a boss node (which would give boosted rewards) and progress to the next floor.

My hopes would be that Marie is the Final Boss of the game mode, hence the name "Atrium"

Rewards:
Actual in-game rewards such as Canopy Coins, Keys or Theonite would be obtained when defeating a boss node, and a bigger amount on defeating the "Final Boss".

A run can be restarted at any time, but in-game rewards will only be obtainable for the first run of every week.

Issues:
  • If this mode was accessible to everyone, the rewards would be difficult to balance.
  • The mode can be restricted to player level or perhaps after clearing AE for the first time.
  • As there is no energy system, player retention could become an issue
  • Limit all Atrium Rift attempts entirely to once a week?
  • Not many options for microtransactions.
  • Rerolling fights, reviving fighters, extra runs?
  • Could be confusing to have so many different collectibles just for the game mode, that disappears after the run
  • The name kinda sucks maybe
What are your thoughts on this type of game mode? Any improvements? Any complaints? Let me know!
This is just a fun idea after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: fanghoul and Ryouhi
I like the idea of a PvE mode that is both challenging and randomized so that each play through is unique (Accursed Experiments never changes so while it can be challenging, it quickly becomes repetitive). I’m not a huge fan of how disconnected from the rest of the game this proposed mode sounds. I get that for balancing issues it can’t be too rewarding, but at the very least I would like to be able to get XP for my actual fighters out of it.

Reactions: Ryouhi and Fel
I like the idea of a PvE mode that is both challenging and randomized so that each play through is unique (Accursed Experiments never changes so while it can be challenging, it quickly becomes repetitive). I’m not a huge fan of how disconnected from the rest of the game this proposed mode sounds. I get that for balancing issues it can’t be too rewarding, but at the very least I would like to be able to get XP for my actual fighters out of it.
I think in terms of rewards it's less disconnected than Rift Battles. I guess you could choose fighters to use and they gain experience, but that does lower the replayability imo.

Ngl this all sounds more complicated than it's worth. For starters, you've got a new currency and level system as well as (exclusively?) new modifiers. I know that was mentioned in your own issues list but I feel like it's glaring, and I agree, it is incredibly detached from the rest of the game. Also, is carrying the hp from one node to the next really going to reduce tension for players who don't like PvP?

I could also see the random events ticking off some players since the most unpredictability this game has is what element will Double transmute to and what will be in the shop this time. The idea itself could work if it excluded things like slicing off 50% hp.

I think in general, this could all be summed up into a sort of survivalist campaign mode, which, I don't know, it might be less stressful, but as someone who likes PvP I'm not really the target demo here. However, I do think this would all sound really fun if:
- You aren't limited to your own collection
- There aren't three brand new systems

Besides all the aforementioned complaints, I'm into it. I like the board game-esque twist on the normal Completionist Tower™ mode.

Reactions: MatDestruction
Ngl this all sounds more complicated than it's worth. For starters, you've got a new currency and level system as well as (exclusively?) new modifiers. I know that was mentioned in your own issues list but I feel like it's glaring, and I agree, it is incredibly detached from the rest of the game. Also, is carrying the hp from one node to the next really going to reduce tension for players who don't like PvP?

I could also see the random events ticking off some players since the most unpredictability this game has is what element will Double transmute to and what will be in the shop this time. The idea itself could work if it excluded things like slicing off 50% hp.

I think in general, this could all be summed up into a sort of survivalist campaign mode, which, I don't know, it might be less stressful, but as someone who likes PvP I'm not really the target demo here. However, I do think this would all sound really fun if:
- You aren't limited to your own collection
- There aren't three brand new systems

Besides all the aforementioned complaints, I'm into it. I like the board game-esque twist on the normal Completionist Tower™ mode.

Rift mode introduced rift coins, catalysts and a matchmaking system so I wasn't too worried about going a bit overboard with new features. I think the fact that its detached can be a positive in some ways.
The difference between PvP and this mode is that one mistake won't cost you the entire game mode. Ideally you'd just be able to start over. There's also no real concept of "losing" to someone in this mode.

Random events would be a risk-reward system. Again, all the annoyances are not as significant when you can restart at any time. Maybe making all the events be positive might be better though.

The issue with PvP is that you have to be better than someone else (along with rift's issues with matchmaking, catalyst strength and how punishing each mistake is). A singleplayer mode, especially one that has in-built progression unlike story mode (looking at you 2xAF node) would be much more easygoing.
I wanted to limit it to your collection so theres some benefit to opening relics and playing the other modes. I feel like not doing that would a bit too detached.

Thanks for your comments though, they're all valid complaints too.