• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Well excuuuse me, Princess!

What is cancelling the coronation?

• Parasoul is too busy preparing for the next Skullgirl to worry about the throne

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Parasoul wants to convert Canopy Kingdom from a monarchy to a democracy

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Umbrella insists the "Princess Parasoul" title's alliteration sounds better

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Double trolls the royal family by occasionally pretending to be King Franz to keep the myth going

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • The Trinity equivalent of the Pope has yet to return from vacation

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Other...

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters

BallotBoxer

Reaction score
egret-yell.jpg
Why is Princess Parasoul not Queen Parasoul? Everyone calls her "Princess," even a few sassy Black Egrets.

Parasoul's qualifications:
  • Age = 25
  • Eldest daughter (clear heir to the throne)
  • Leader of the Black Egrets
  • Mother = deceased
  • Father = missing (presumed deceased)
If you have played Parasoul's origin story mode, then you know what happened to King Franz. That was SEVEN years ago. How long will Canopy Kingdom wait for a royal ruler? Why do you think Parasoul is still not a queen?

View attachment 4532
Why is Princess Parasoul not Queen Parasoul? Everyone calls her "Princess," even a few sassy Black Egrets.

• Age = 25
  • Mother = deceased
If you have played Parasoul's origin story mode, then you know what happened to King Franz. That was SEVEN years ago. How long will Canopy Kingdom wait for a royal ruler? Why do you think Parasoul is still not a queen?

Well Peach is also princess not queen. ;)

It seems she's doing fine as far as authority without the title of Queen. I think the idea of her wanting to institute a democracy is a nice thought, but with her appreciation for tradition I couldn't see that happening.

I've wondered this before too, and her being preoccupied seems the most logical but still doesn't make a ton of sense o_O Seven years is a long time! Is she not considered old enough by the kingdom's standards? Or maybe, instead of just Umbrella liking the alliteration of Princess Parasoul, maybe the kingdom likes it so much that she kept the title.

Does she have to be married to become queen?

Reactions: Yomady
Ah yes, Queen Elsa (or to use her full title, Elsa, daughter of King Agnarr and Queen Iduna, the Snow Queen, ruler of Arrendale, mother of snow golems, breaker of ice statues, first of her name) is a good example of the marriage exemption. One shouldn't need a spouse to be the ruler.

I wonder if anyone that lives in a country with royalty know the rules for what qualifies a princess to be a queen (here in 'murica, we ain't got no kings and queens).

Well Peach is also princess not queen. ;)

Interesting point. Any Super Mario scholars know the status of Peach's parents? If they are dead, she should be queen, right? (unless the toadstool advisers have her blocked by some Machiavellian plot)

Maybe there was a post-Grand War treaty stipulation. Like how Japan was prohibited from building offensive military forces after WW2. Chess Kingdom and Gigan Nation might have had a line like "Until the next Skullgirl appears and isn't your ruler, then you can't have a ruler."

Reactions: educavalcantee
There is no general hard and fast set of rules for what does and doesn't make somebody a monarch. Every nation has its own conventions and caveats, even though there might be some common factors; so if we are given a reason at some point, it doesn't necessarily need to 'make sense' according to any other precedent, as long as it sounds plausible.
Another point: monarchy and democracy are not mutually exclusive. A country can have both, typically in the form of a hereditary king/queen and an elected prime minister. Notable examples are the United Kingdom, Spain and the Netherlands. A more appropriate antonym to monarchy would be republic, which does necessitate the lack of royalty by definition.
This means that hypothetically, L0 or HVS could legitimately write in a character that is the prime minister of the Canopy Kingdom or equivalent that is holding the state together while the royal family is in turmoil and it wouldn't really be a retcon as there is no reason this can't be the case… though it would be atypical for the king in a democratic monarchy to be able to start or join wars as Franz did.

One other idea is that Parasoul refuses to become queen because it will most likely remove her ability to actively serve with the Black Egrets, becoming far too important to be allowed to expose herself to physical harm on a regular basis. Since the BE are a unit that she founded (I think?) and currently maintains (for sure) it is understandable she would be reluctant to simply leave her active service with them.

Usually in stories and history people are fighting for the crown, not declining it. Can royals say no? Perhaps Umbrella may become queen. Or Parasoul simply rules without the title of "Queen"

The canon info thread over at Skullheart paints this picture about the Renoir rule in Canopy Kingdom:
  • All three kingdoms were pretty ambitious in expanding but the Canopy Kingdom was the most aggressive. King Franz invested a lot into combining technology and magic to take on the other 2 countries.
  • Rule under King Renoir was much harsher than under Princess Parasoul. Political freedoms were restricted, and you could expect jack-booted government thugs to do unscrupulous, unethical things without question. Weapons R&D was extremely high priority. Alex agrees that it is "kinda Nazi-ish". This kind of thing has diminished after the King's disappearance/death, and although still highly nationalistic, the Canopy Kingdom is significantly more free under Parasoul.
Speaking of jack-booted government thugs (Black Egrets, how could you?)...

Since the BE are a unit that she founded (I think?) and currently maintains (for sure) it is understandable she would be reluctant to simply leave her active service with them.

I don't know either. Princess Parasoul could be their founder, or they could be an elite group of soldiers that have been protecting the royal family for generations. Seven years ago, during the end of the Grand War, Parasoul (18 at the time) was there at No Man's Land commanding a coordinated attack of Black Egrets (Panzerfaust) and Anti-Skullgirl Labs agents (Big Band and Ileum for Lab 8, Last Hope from Lab 7), so the Black Egrets have existed at least that long.

Reactions: Psyche
Given what other people have said, I suppose she could be keeping the title of Princess as a way of signifying that she's a step removed from the absolute power that's been associated in the Canopy Kingdom's past with the King or Queen.

View attachment 4532

• Age = 25
  • Mother = deceased
Heir to the throne? You must stay at it if there is trouble it is pretty logical she'll be running after it, she's a red head with a gang of Egrets who cannot get enough.

Oh we love that danger don't we Parasoul.

Reactions: Rudølf
UPDATE: Play Umbrella's Story Mode in Skullgirls 2nd Encore to learn the "Princess Parasoul" answer 😲
(Umbrella isn't officially out yet so I won't even speak of it in spoiler tags, lol)

UPDATE: Play Umbrella's Story Mode in Skullgirls 2nd Encore to learn the "Princess Parasoul" answer 😲
(Umbrella isn't officially out yet so I won't even speak of it in spoiler tags, lol)
Still, it doesn't exclude the variant number 4 😁

She's waiting for that sweet sweet Disney movie deal cash.

• Haha
Reactions: Holy Goose