• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Other Combo training mode?

Dusty00

Reaction score
I admit I am not one to invent or discover combos. Until someone shares combo videos I would just do the normal L5, launch, juggle and finish for all characters.

That doesn’t mean I don’t want to learn! We’ve had so many cool combo contests in the past. Couldn’t the game be designed to help players like me learn these combos?

Two suggestions.

1. Add more functions to the training mode.

Maybe making it like the original console version is overkill, but I’d love to at least be able to do the following:
  • Immediately refill BBs and reset Spcecial Moves
  • Immediately bring both fighters back to the center of the stage
  • Turn on some basic AI movements like jump, walk, continuesly do basic attacks, etc.
2. Add learning combos as a part of a permanent game feature.

It’s been a couple of years but if I recall correctly the tutorial mode guides every player to learn basic controls and basic combos. Why not expand that?

Thanks to the thread on story mode, I thought of the idea to redo Story Mode as the way to help players learn basic and advanced combos for each character featured in the origin mode. Basic level will only require players to learn a handful of basic combos. Expert mode will require some practice to perform but not crazy. Master mode should pose a challenge and be refreshed every so often to include new combos discovered/invented by players, especially those awesome ones submitted for official combo contests. Wouldn’t it be an awesome reward for the winner to have their combos featured in the game?

Also, wouldn’t it just feel so damn rewarding if you had practiced hours to finally pull off a combo, which then reward you with an unique Special Move or BB with stats of your choice? Let us EARN prizes with efforts and skills, not with Money, time, and rng/luck, please!

I would totally pay to support any development for content that engages players in “playing” the game and have fun while playing! Please consider redesigning game modes that are mindless grind with Battle Assist (Daily Event I’m looking at you with deep sigh everyday because you are purely a waste of my time) and make them more engaging and challenging. I challenge all of you creative and talented developers at HV to think outside typical, tired mobile game design elements we see in every other game (brainless daily quests with auto play feature, random loot boxes, element triangle, quests that forces you to spend time but don’t provide any challenge) and give us strong reasons to pay and support this unique mobile fighting game!

Thanks for reading and I look forward to other players critiques and additional ideas.

Last edited:
I think having some sort of achievement system just for combos might be a good way to promote players to learn more combos. For example, it can be like executing the double's typical launcher->aerial->dash attack-> slide->buzzard->Gehenna about 10 times and you get nice little reward of canopies and theonites as a result.

Also, considering that there are certain characters like Nearly Departed that has unique combos that are different from other characters, there should be some combo challenges for specific characters to promote players to try out off meta picks see the potentials other than the easy simple meta picks.

Speaking making this game more engaging and challenging, I wish there were some characters that are like similar to Nearly Departed. Nearly Departed is very unique because her combos are unique from other Squigly's combo. This allows players to create even more unique variations of combos specially designed for certain character which makes the game more challenging yet very fun.

I combo training system would be fun actually! It's a staple of fighting games to have combo grinding challenges, so it'd be nice to see them in a mobile setting.
Having something that teaches players slightly advanced character specific combos would be really cool, to show folks there are combos outside of L5>Launch>J3>BB.

Reactions: Jhosvi
What does L5, J3 mean? I've been trying to learn new combos but I don't understand the lingos being used. Please help.

Immediately refill BBs and reset Spcecial Moves
I want everything you said except this. I want training to keep the recharge so I can accurately measure what combo I can actually achieve. I’d hate to learn a beautiful combo with instant recharge but my coins can’t support the meter gain. Maybe have it as a toggle feature. I can dream.

What does L5, J3 mean? I've been trying to learn new combos but I don't understand the lingos being used. Please help.
L5=full ground combo
J3=air juggle hits
Here are a couple of other terms you might run into:
D1=dash attack 1(you can combo into L5 from the first dash attack hit)
D2=dash attack 2

Reactions: Trikz
L5=full ground combo
J3=air juggle hits
Here are a couple of other terms you might run into:
D1=dash attack 1(you can combo into L5 from the first dash attack hit)
D2=dash attack 2
Thank you so much for your help. And sorry for going off topic

The practice partner could also mimic the AI attack patterns, that way the player could practice when there is openings and how he can abuse them. That being said i think skullgirls mobile attacks are pretty limited, although combos are possible the bread and butter (L5-J3) is what i do most of the time and combos are unknown (if you don't seek videos for learning them) and not rewarding enough (L5-J3 already does it's job good enough)