• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Bug - Normal Painwheel escaping Grab Bag BB3 at right edge of stage

TonyPartridge30

Reaction score
iPhone 8
iOS 13.3.1
Game Version 4.1.1

Was playing the Medici Shakedown PF early, and was using my Harlequinn Bella against an enemy Fly Trap Painwheel. I had forced the Fly Trap back to the end of their side of the stage. I began a normal ground combo, but after the 2nd hit, I activated the BB3 Grab Bag. The first hit launched the Fly Trap as normal. However, once in the air, the Fly Trap was not captured in the bag. In fact, the Fly Trap activated its air combo/air juggle after the grab missed and hit Bella. Since BB3's are supposed to be unblockable, this seems to be an error about Grab Bag connecting properly at the edge of the stage.

Reactions: Liam
I tried a whole bunch of distances but I wasn't able to get this to happen. There might be something else involved.
I'll see if our QA team can reproduce this.

Reactions: Irghen
I tried a whole bunch of distances but I wasn't able to get this to happen. There might be something else involved.
I'll see if our QA team can reproduce this.
Thanks for looking into this. Is it possible that with the Grab Bag blockbuster, there is a frame or window of time between the launch and the air grab where a fighter can react? Potentially something too fast for a human player to react to, but an AI at high streak level could, given that they tend to respond to gaps in combos that appear too small for human players to notice. I'm wondering if the AI managed to "break out" of the BB by attacking after being launched.

Also, this issue of Grab Bag whiffing when the opponent is pressed against their side of the stage is something I remember seeing once before, but years ago.

Is it possible that with the Grab Bag blockbuster, there is a frame or window of time between the launch and the air grab where a fighter can react? Potentially something too fast for a human player to react to
Both the player and the AI's controller is effectively "unplugged" during a BB3. We do that to make sure what you're describing can't happen. Control is regained as soon as the BB3 is over, and in Cerebella's case, I believe that if she misses and falls to the ground that counts as the BB3 being over. Once she begins to fall, Painwheel would have likely been able to do an attack.

Potentially something too fast for a human player to react to
Fwiw Skullgirls' generous input buffers eliminate most "single frame" windows. If the input is just "tap the screen" it'l be active for something like 10 frames or so.

Both the player and the AI's controller is effectively "unplugged" during a BB3. We do that to make sure what you're describing can't happen. Control is regained as soon as the BB3 is over, and in Cerebella's case, I believe that if she misses and falls to the ground that counts as the BB3 being over. Once she begins to fall, Painwheel would have likely been able to do an attack.

Fwiw Skullgirls' generous input buffers eliminate most "single frame" windows. If the input is just "tap the screen" it'l be active for something like 10 frames or so.
Good to know that balance is built into the game when it comes to what the AI can do and what human players can do.
I know you said you tried various distances and couldn’t reproduce what AI described. As I recall, I was in extremely close range of the Painwheel; like, super close. What I may have misremembered is how much of the ground combo I went through before activating Grab Bag. I said 2, but it may have been less or more.

Galaxy Note 10+
Android 10

Just experienced something like this in the right corner. Was against a painwheel also. Rift, biofeedback node.

Can't recall if the move failed exactly as stated above, but it was probably the case. Wasn't concentrating since I thought it was a win already.