• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Grinding from First Gold to Gold Team?

Erithmu

Reaction score
So ... Been playing for a week, been reading up on the forums about characters and tier lists and builds. Finding a few things I like but still trying to absorb all the information I'm seeing.

I recently got my first Gold (Silent Kill Val) and have spent limited resources on advancing a few Silvers that I read as fairly useful (Resonant Evil BB, No Egrets Para, Pea Shooter Peacock) as well as a few of my first silvers and a silver evolved Headstrong Cerabella which is what is carrying me through most of my progression (good skill flow and can keep pressure up on the AI). So I feel ok for only being about a week into the game and got a sense of the basics.

I'm now at the point where I recognize that I'm in for the long grind portion of the game: Find Golds, Level Golds, Look for good stat distributions on moves, and do it on a budget. I don't really see a guide for that, which leaves me with a list.

So I guess my questions are a bit as follows:
1) The one or two things you wish you would have done looking back at your grind.
2) Is there a list/post of the 'odd' requirements in story mode that I should be leveling up/saving some characters for? (Ex. Bronze only fights, or the Bronze Painwheel fight in Advanced 'Who's the Boss: Under the Bridge)
3) I'm working through the Advanced Story, but where should I be spending my character's Energy? Story mode or Daily events, or something else?
4) Whats a good way to get Character specific skill tree points (aside from Prize Fights)
5) Whats a good use for character fodder? Is there a need to evolve some Bronze fighters for the purpose of evolving Silver fighters?
6) How much advancement/skill tree points should I be investing in my 'progression' fighters.

I'm sure I have more questions or followups, but thats what I got for now

Reactions: Tujae
Progression Fighters: Characters I currently have but are like 3rd or lower on the character Tier list and I have leveled up because ... well ... they are the only options I have.

I mainly get my Gold characters through Prize fights, I use all my Theonite on recharging my characters and I have currently over 1,400 Theonite. I'm grinding my way up in the Gold Beowulf prize fight and I have currently over 4,000,000 points I'm not stopping till I reach 10 mil I must have a Gold Beowulf I already a Bronze and Silver Beowulf.

Reactions: Tujae
I'm grinding my way up in the Gold Beowulf prize fight and I have currently over 4,000,000 points I'm not stopping till I reach 10 mil I must have a Gold Beowulf I already a Bronze and Silver Beowulf.
Which is why I'm over in Parasoul's maybe catching a gold while all of you are in Beowulfs ;)

I just realized i didn't really answer your question about progression fighters. If the fighter falls in C tier and you don't have any variants of that character in a higher tier so you're basically forced to use them, I'd suggest upgrading at the bare minimum the ground combo and maybe the node for the one extra move slot. You can always upgrade the atk tree since it's only 2 keys. Most C tier fighters have very poor signature abilities, so you can ignore their signature ability nodes altogether, aside from the one that you need to unlock to get to the ground combo node.
I guess that makes sense. Does the Ground Combo unlock really help with damage output that much while leveling up

Well, here's the thing. On average, a ground combo will do 60% of your fighter's attack stat worth of damage. With the extended ground combo node unlocked that increases the full ground combo's damage to 90-100% (depending on the character) of your fighter's attack stat worth of damage. So, for example a 1000 atk fighter will do 600 damage from ground combo without the extension and 900-1000 with the extension. Thats a 50+% damage increase for your ground combo.Additionally, more hits on your ground combo means more meter gained for your blockbusters.

Thats like ... impressive for a single skill tree slot, and so early in the tree. Is it just in the single hit/animation or does it get spread out over the whole ground combo?

Not sure I understand the question, but hopefully this answers it. The additional hits added to your combo give the extra damage. So for example, Cerebella's ground combo is 3 hits. The damage spread of her ground combo is .200 > .150 > .250 for a total of .6 times her atk worth of damage. With the extended ground combo, she does 5 hits. The damage spread on that is .200 > .150 > .150 > .150 > .250 for a total of .9 times her atk worth of damage.
That answers it ... basically the bonus damage is in the extra combo hits.

It is a shame that a chunk of the damage is on the final hit, where I'm used to going into an air launcher instead of the final hit. I guess though going into an air combo/super is probably more damage than that last hit.

Does the game scale damage on higher hit combos (like i see in UMVC3 or similar)? ie am I losing damage by not doing a full ground combo vs launcher + air combo vs super.

Also how do people use special moves? Utility or ranged attacks. I see that the general consensus is that most of the taunts/buffs are bad. I've tried to use them as combo 'resets' where I then restart my ground combo but most of the time it creates a window of blocking.

What fighters are you using that you usually don't always do the last hit in your ground combo before doing launcher? The only character that can't follow up their last hit of ground combo with launcher is Valentine.
Half my team doesn't have the ground combo bonus ... working on it but old habits die hard :)

2 Weeks later:
- 5 True golds, 1 Evolved Cerebella
- Picked up some more solid silvers
- Story mode done (except for the 2x Bronze vs 5k and the nodes it blocks)
- Got my first PF Gold all milestones completed (still only got 11-30%)
- Having skill point, Canopy Coin supply problems for certain characters but about what i expected.

Things I learned that I wish I knew:
- When running Prize Fights ... Take one of your strongest characters and put two of your weakest characters on the same team. went from 4-5 streaks up to 8-9 streaks pretty fast. Also helps to get skill points out of my fodder. I'm sure this changes later on, but in the middle of the long grind this feels like the correct way to progress.
- Speaking of Fodder, level them up a few levels (like 15-20 range) to get skills points before sacrificing them for evolution materials. Lost like 3x lvl 1 cerebellas and now my Harlequin Cerebella needs skill points badly. This goes for both bronze and silvers that you get.
- Daily Missions: do em. Highest you can go and maybe the one below it.
- It is easier to play defense to offense in most cases, and at higher Prize Fight streaks, that is what will win you fights.

Still learning:
- Do the last hit of ground combo on everyone except Valentine ...
- I don't have enough time, and to be efficient with my time spent playing.

New Questions:
1) How many points is 1-10% in most Gold prizefights? 2mil, 4mil, higher?
2) Is Beowulf in the common relic or do you have to get him on his day?
3) I've been doing 10 'generalist' relic purchases for characters, is there a point to doing character specific pulls (ie chance at OP gold?) or is it more preference?
4) Any reason to invest in Move/Blockbuster relics? Or just keep farming those from prize fights?
5) Thinking about making a new player guide from the perspective of a new player. Interest?

New Questions:
1) How many points is 1-10% in most Gold prizefights? 2mil, 4mil, higher?
2) Is Beowulf in the common relic or do you have to get him on his day?
3) I've been doing 10 'generalist' relic purchases for characters, is there a point to doing character specific pulls (ie chance at OP gold?) or is it more preference?
4) Any reason to invest in Move/Blockbuster relics? Or just keep farming those from prize fights?
5) Thinking about making a new player guide from the perspective of a new player. Interest?

1 3mill or up, depend on the prize fight, sometines its alot higher. Go check out the event section, ppl post their scores.
2 Beowulf right now is character relic only/prize fight reward.
3 the gold chance are about the same(the general relic is a bit higher for gold) theres a official thred on drop rates. But its all about what fighter you want.
4 same as 3 in my opinion. But the prize for gold moves dropped from 120 to 75 in the recent update. More affordable but the stats are no less random.
5 there're a bunch of smaller guides on one or two subjects already. I think I'd be nice for new players if theres a master thread.

Getting a true gold only happened within the first month of playing. I spent a fair amount of time cracking relics and finding that I had no luck until a Primed Parasoul showed up.

I wish I had kept my original team. I ended up sacrificing Big Band near the beginning, he was far from a great character for me. I also wish I was more conservative with my Theonite and coins.

In the beginning, I'd suggest keeping as many of your fighters as possible. The risk/reward factor of cracking relics will probably play into this as well. I ended up with 3 silver characters after Primed showed up; two of which I have evolved into Gold (Ivy League and Graveyard Shift). The goal is to eventually get as many as I can evolved to gold while still grinding in bronze and silver PFs.