• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

How to escape being comboed to oblivion in corners?

Waviest

Reaction score
Well pretty much the title. For uh...forgot what it was called. The PvP gamemode.

I admit I suck at fighting games but I'm not entirely awful. Also the AI goes to maximum overdrive in this mode.

Every time I get put into a corner it all ends me in my first character being comboed for an eternity then being KOd. Then my second character is sent ou---and they're being comb---and they're KOd. Alright time for my th---and the---okay they're dead. Not playing this up for my (pity) point either. This is pretty much how most of my losses go.

Imagine it all comes down to the age old advice of "get gud", but I just can't manage to push them away. I try to Rush them but I then get hit then comboed before my rush can even land. As well as there's no invulnerability when they get tagged in after you lose a fighter (why is that?) so...really can't do anything there.

Cerebella has been the only one I've managed to escape & push back with due to her skills.

So anybody have any tips for this? Meanwhile I'll be in the corner...crying in a fetal position among my pile of KOd fighters.

I do apologize if this comes off as ranty. Deleted & omitted parts that I felt were whiny. Some...some still are but they go with what I'm trying to say.

Getting stuck in a corner sucks, but there are ways out of it!

Firstly, when one of your characters die, your characters are invincible when they're jumping in. Hold Block while they're jumping in and you'll be safe when you land.

Now, the trickier part. This requires practice and learning to recognize when it's safe to fight back against an enemy attacker.
Let them attack you. Just hold block.

Combos happen in two parts when you're blocking:
The first part is a regular tap combo. DO NOT TRY TO COUNTER ATTACK THIS. The enemy will be able to beat you if you try to attack, so keep blocking.
At the end of the combo, an enemy will do one of three things:

1) They'll do a launcher or a sweep. You need to learn what these look like for every character. (For example, Painwheel's standard combo ends when she stabs the ground with her propeller blades. Her sweep is where she sticks her propeller flat out along the ground, and her launcher is where she does a standard looking uppercut) As soon as the opponent does one, you can counter attack and the opponent will not be able to block. You need to strike quick.

2) They'll do a special move or blockbuster. Same as the above - wait for it to finish, then do a counter attack. Need to be quick again!

3) They do nothing. You'll both end up standing around looking awkward. There is a high chance they will do a grab after this short pause so be careful! It can be dangerous to try counter attacking as they might block and then do their own counter.

Thanks for the tips. Especially for the combos. Also are sweeps the "tap & hold" move? Like Peacocks shotgun hat?

Swipe down to do a Sweep, swipe up to do a Launcher. Hold moves are Charge attacks.

Have 2/3 fighting games on my iPad which have confused the hell outa me for the controls but have no idea how I forgot that I already knew what sweep attacks were. Wow me. Thanks anyways.

Equip Burst skills and mash on em as soon as you're in hitstun. They'll break you out of a combo... but not while you're in the air.

1. Guard, then punish. Punishing with a Blockbuster like Gregor Samson will generally move your opponent out to center stage.
2. Use grabs. Many 2 tap combos can be followed up with a grab while an opponent is blocking. If they AI breaks the grab, it'll give you some breathing room to follow up with a sweep, unless you're against Cerebella; she can cause the player to be stunned on grab break due to one of her upgrades.
3. Switch characters. Characters with grab-on-switch attacks are especially good for switch punishing. Follow up with a short tap combo or Blockbuster on the ground bounce to push them more towards center stage.
4. Burst, then dash to center stage (and probably dash-cancel into blocking).
5. Use an upgraded Big Band; armored dash attacks, yo. Seriously, it's an OP AF mechanic.

I usually just politely let them get out of the corner lol

To retaliate against repetition you can use a burst or counter with the right timing, as has been said. Two tiny things that haven't been mentioned yet, though: if you really, really hate that corner, when you strike back you may want to consider doing a full two-part dash attack as they always have a lot of knockback and will give you some breathing space, but compared to any other combos you could have done this does very low damage so only do it when positioning is more important than damage output at that moment; if you are impatient and have a blockbuster already charged, it is also possible to interrupt an enemy combo before it ends rather than blocking all of the hits and waiting for it to finish. You can queue a blockbuster while blocking which will, thanks to unflinching frames at the start of every blockbuster, break the cycle and attack in a window that is too wide for the attacker to close but otherwise too small for the defender to seize upon. This takes a bit of learning though as the timings and mechanics are a little bit technical.

All in all, more experience is all you need!

Or you can hold block then counter with a grab and counter with a combo or blocker buster if met with a parry to a grab that’s what I do