• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Plans for paid version?

Joemamma1080

Reaction score
I know the mobile version is still very new, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far! I also understand it being a free to play mobile game, that there is a lot of systems in place to try and get you to buy relics and energy, but I didn't know if there were any plans for a paid version. I could totally see myself paying $5 or $10 for the game in order to get a couple perks, like infinite energy and/or discounted rates for gems.

I'm a game developer in college, and fighting games have always sparked my interest, as well as the mobile game environment. I just thought that a paid version would still provide enough revenue for the devs, and also still provide a lot for the consumer, and that no party felt cheated.

I can't speak for the developers but most F2P games like this don't have paid versions. At most there's some kind of pseudo-subscription where you get some of the premium currency every day for a month (Theonite in this case). The paid versions of free apps are usually for when the free one is riddled with ads and doesn't have much in the way of actual gameplay-effecting account progression, like Trivia Crush or board game apps like Uno or Boggle.

Also having a paid version with eliminated energy costs in Prize Fights would give you a massive advantage in the rankings since you could just equip your best team and never stop playing as them, whereas you'd at least need to pay crystals to refill their energy normally.

It's all there to nickle and dime you because not only are you more likely to pay a lot more when it's broken up into microtransactions over time, people seem averse to paying much at all on app stores period in one payment. There's a reason almost no one releases an app that costs more than 5 dollars, and even those are rare.

I can't speak for the developers but most F2P games like this don't have paid versions. At most there's some kind of pseudo-subscription where you get some of the premium currency every day for a month (Theonite in this case). The paid versions of free apps are usually for when the free one is riddled with ads and doesn't have much in the way of actual gameplay-effecting account progression, like Trivia Crush or board game apps like Uno or Boggle.

Also having a paid version with eliminated energy costs in Prize Fights would give you a massive advantage in the rankings since you could just equip your best team and never stop playing as them, whereas you'd at least need to pay crystals to refill their energy normally.

It's all there to nickle and dime you because not only are you more likely to pay a lot more when it's broken up into microtransactions over time, people seem averse to paying much at all on app stores period in one payment. There's a reason almost no one releases an app that costs more than 5 dollars, and even those are rare.

I see your point, the goal of any F2P mobile game is to nicke and dime players, but the games that really push for that aren't as complexed or have systems that are as fleshed out as this one. Even in this state of the game, where there's characters that aren't out yet, there' s still a lot more in it than 90% of the games on the app/play store.

My only example of a game that was set up as a F2P game, but had a paid version is Pokémon Picross for 3DS. It's was an extremely fleshed out puzzle game, essentially a full game, but it was behind arbitrary time gates, and paying the $40 for the game got rid of those time gates. You are right though, eliminating the energy requirement in Prize Fights would give paid players a ridiculous advantage, but what about story/daily events? They pull from a different energy pool than Prize Fights, and you aren't in direct competition with other players. Just an idea, I havent put much thought into what paid players would get.

And the game's way to get money out of players isn't energy I don't think, it's the gatcha system with relics. They want you to spend money gambling for gold fighters, moves, blockbusters, or even the exclusive variants. The paid version wouldn't stop the revenue that comes from opening relics, it just give the players who paid more chances to open relics because they are playing the game more. That could potentially get more money out of players in the event that a particular player is on a bad luck streak and drops money to keep opening relics.