1. [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy
    Dismiss Notice

Revised Painwheel Tier List

Discussion in 'Painwheel' started by theLoneskull, Sep 8, 2018.

Tags:
?

Who's worse, GI Jazz or Firefly?

1. GI Jazz

37 vote(s)
    75.5%
  2. Firefly

12 vote(s)
    24.5%
  1. theLoneskull

theLoneskull Active Member

Introducing Painwheel
    Painwheel is a "glass cannon" type fighter, able to do enormous amounts of damage very quickly. She has the highest attack in the game, but also the lowest hp. Her abilities further enforce her purpose as an offensive fighter, with most of her SAs and/or moves inflicting bleed or armor break while also granting herself enrage. These effects don't last too long though, so Painwheel players must play as constant aggressors while also being careful to keep her out of harm's way in order to maximize the impact of her damage with these effects. Any mistake with Painwheel is too much.

Character Ability: Flight Risk
    - Swipe up twice and Painwheel will take flight! While flying, Painwheel will EVADE some attacks and can rain death from above!

1. Buzzkill
    Rarity: Gold
    Element: Wind
    Atk (at lvl 60): 14,343
    Hp (at lvl 60): 41.2k
    FS (at lvl 60): 21.7k
    SA: Hemorrhage
    - 10% chance on hit to inflict heavy bleed for 10 seconds
    - Gain a permanent enrage when an opponent's health drops below 25%

Buzzkill is the definition of a glass cannon and is one of the more straightfoward fighters in the game. Because of the strength of the statuses from her SA, she is relevant at any point in a pf streak. She is already capable of dishing out scary amounts of damage, helped out further by this SA. Her primary strength is dealing enormous damage while also snowballing to end the fight even quicker. When evolved to diamond, her attack stat is tied with Hack N' Splash for 4th highest in the game and THE highest out of any non natural diamonds. To maximize her chances of inflicting the heavy bleed, moves such as Cruel Lily, Death Crawl, Buer Thresher and/or Buer Overdrive should be equipped. Keep in mind that her SA2 will trigger even while she's benched. She is strong against high hp fighters because of her heavy bleed and fighters without armor because of her already high attack, made only more lethal by the enrage(s). She's not as strong against fighters who can easily stack armor (unless you're armed with Buer Thresher) or immunity since it renders her SA1 worthless, though it doesn't stop her from buffing herself. ICU Valentines and Bloodbath also counter her well because the heavy bleed will just become heavy regen and regen, respectively. Something worth nothing, heavy bleed does not stack, yet when fighting Bloodbath with Buzzkill, the heavy bleed seems to refresh and gives Bloodbath stacks of regens. This makes her even better against a Buzzkill. But regardless, she's a very powerful fighter that you just can't go wrong with. Ideal stats: atk %, def, meter gain, crit rate and crit damage.

2. Rusty
    Rarity: Bronze

Element: Light
    Atk (at lvl 60): 9,178
    Hp (at lvl 60): 33.6k
    FS (at lvl 60): 15.1k
    SA: Bleed For Me
    - 10% chance on hit to inflict bleed for 3 seconds
    - Also convert 3 of the enemy's buffs into bleed

Though the bleed(s) she inflicts has a low chance to activate, Painwheel can inflict a lot of hits, making this somewhat irrelevant. Even with the low chance of converting buffs, I've found that when a buff is converted into bleed, the bleed lasts for however long the buff does (partially from the fellows on the official discord and partially from testing it myself). What that means is, if a 10 second enrage is down to 7 seconds and is converted into bleed, the bleed will last for 7 seconds. This makes Rusty an excellent counter to fighters such as Grim Fan and Armed Forces, as the unflinching and immunity and armor and unflinching, respectively, when turned into bleed, will melt through their health. Something to note, if precision is converted into bleed, its a permanent bleed. Well, not quite permanent, but it does last until the opponent swaps out and comes back in. This makes Ms.Fortune's daily a lot less of a hassle than it has to be. She's great against buff reliant fighters since they just become bleeds. Even immunity will become bleed (unless that modifier with the perma immunity is there). She's weak to ICU Valentines and Bloodbath since they will just endless gain their heavy regen and regen(s). Ideal stats: atk %, def, meter gain, hp % and crit damage.

3. Fly Trap
    Rarity: Diamond
    Element: Wind
    Atk (at lvl 60): 16,743
    Hp (at lvl 60): 48k
    FS (at lvl 60): 25.3k
    SA: Little Prop of Horrors
    - Deal 25% bonus damage for each defeated Fighter, teammate or opponent
    - Gain 5 stacks of regen after defeating an opponent

I don't really know what to say about this one...other than I don't know what the "Fighter" in her SA1 description is supposed to mean. She's pretty good on defense if she has the Grudge MA because she will increase her survivability by a load when the regen kicks in. Although the issue there is that she probably won't kill you because her health still sort of sucks. Also, she loses the regen after she swaps out and swaps back in (I think). On offense, she's not as great since she has to either kill someone or lose a teammate to boost her damage, which hurts against armored opponents or opponents with high defense. I suppose armored opponents can be countered by Buer Thresher, but that's about it. Buzzkill and Rusty are above her because their SAs can easily work around what Fly Trap has trouble with. In additon, Rusty (a ridiculously easily obtained fighter) hard counters her because if she has the regen and its converted into bleed, then it will last until Fly Trap swaps out. The regen is good on offense to keep herself alive though. Ideal stats: atk %, def and meter gain.

4. Raw Nerv
    Element: Dark
    Atk (at lvl 60): 12,480
    Hp (at lvl 60): 45.7k
    FS (at lvl 60): 20.5k
    SA: Death's Door
    - Gain permanent enrage and haste when your health drops below 50%
    - Inflict permanent death mark when your health drops below 25%

Raw Nerv's SA has become more rewarding for how risky it is to activate, since she has to lose less health and no longer has to basically be dead. However, her rework STILL does not solve the fundamental problem with her: she has to lose HP in order to procc her SA. Death mark is an ok debuff, but isn't too special. However, she is still above Blood Drive because she can be paired with an Icy Hot, a Last Hope, or a Surgeon General Valentine while still benefiting from her SA. Trauma Center also pairs nicely with her. She will also have a decent chance to survive because her HP is still higher than most Painwheels. HOWEVER, with the changes to the Grudge MA, Raw Nerv is actually pretty good now. The armor it grants (and if you have a high def%) will temporarily make it so that she takes no damage. When paired with a suppot Valentine, she'll be able to take advantage of the haste and enrage(s). This combination of factors now puts her above Grim Fan. Ideal stats: atk %, def, hp %, meter gain and block proficiency.

5. Blood Drive

Rarity: Silver
    Element: Fire
    Atk (at lvl 60): 10,695
    Hp (at lvl 60): 39.2k
    FS (at lvl 60): 17.6k
    SA: Transfusion
    - 5% chance on hit to inflict bleed on self and heavy bleed on opponent for 10 seconds
    - Also gain enrage for 6 seconds for every bleed effect applied to Painwheel

It may just be me, but Blood Drive seems quite overrated. Although she can do some good chip dmg through the bleed and withher enrages, she has to basically kill herself by bleeding herself out in order to gain said enrage(s). And unlike Raw Nerv, regen doesn't allow her to get more of a chance to reap the benefits of her SA, especially considering she doesn't have a SA if she gets regen. Trauma Center can work with her, but it probably doesn't work as well on her. In addition, if you mess up and start getting hit, there is next to no chance of her surviving. And her self-bleed does nothing to help with that. But if you are skilled enough to manage with her, then she's strong against high hp opponents because of her heavy bleed and enrage. Against fighters that benefit/punish you when inflicted with debuffs, Blood Drive doesn't do as well because of the heavy bleed. ICU Valentines and Bloodbath in particular give her problems. Easy access to immunity from Sketchy or Surgeon General also present her with problems. Overall, Blood Drive isn't bad, but definitely isn't as good as some make her out to be. Ideal stats: atk %, def, hp% and bleed resist.

6. Grim Fan
    Rarity: Gold (Shining Relic exclusive)
    Element: Light
    Atk (at lvl 60): 12,480
    Hp (at lvl 60): 45.7k
    FS (at lvl 60): 20.5k
    SA: Skeleton Dance
    - Once per match, gain unflinching and immunity for 15 seconds when dropping below 50% health
    - When Painwheel's unflinching expires, ressurect all teammates with 30% hp

Interestingly, Grim Fan has the same stats as Raw Nerv. On defense, her health is low enough that you can watch it go down and juggle right when you think she's about to get her immunity and unflinching (which shouldn't take long), giving you the chance to take her out and not worry about a possible counter-attack. In addition, she has to be low on health for her SA to activiate. Not as low as Raw Nerv though. But this isn't defense, this is offense. Grim Fan does not do well at all on offense. Her attack stat may be high, but it doesn't matter because her SA does nothing to help her deal more damage. Even Raw Nerv does better than her because at least she gains enrage if she survives. All Grim Fan gains is a status which allows her the chance to counter attack and a chance to revive your teammates. Which, if you're playing well, is somewhat useless. Her SA is something to fall back on if you begin to take damage on offense rather than a consistent source of revival. She is weak to armored opponents since she has no real method of inflicting armor break besides Buer Thresher. Ideal stats: atk %, hp %, def and meter gain.

7. Firefly
    Element: Fire
    Atk (at lvl 60): 10,618
    Hp (at lvl 60): 50.3k
    FS (at lvl 60): 19.4k
    SA: Serenity
    - When blocking below 50% hp, gain 8% hp per second
    - Also gain 8% blockbuster meter per second

Poor Firefly. Her SA sounds good on paper. But sadly, it only seems to work while Firefly is just blocking. If she's attacked while blocking, it doesn't work. Even if it did, you will probably never get more than 5 seconds worth of hp and meter before the opponent attempts to grab you. Even if you break it, you will have to wait until you fall below 50% hp again, as a throw will reset it. She's also surprisingly good at timing herself out. However, with the Grudge MA, she will have time to save herself and get meter and hp, making her more threatening the higher she ends up being in pf streak. But again, this is offense, not defense. She suffers from a similar problem as Grim Fan: on her own, she may not do enough damage and her SA does nothing to help it. Firefly is trying to do something which Painwheel is not supposed to be doing: tank through damage, which is her primary issue. She can do decently against armored opponents with Buer Thresher, but that's about it. Ideal stats: atk %, hp %, block proficiency, crit rate and crit damage.

8. Twisted Mettle
    Rarity: Bronze
    Element: Water
    Atk (at lvl 60): 8,621
    Hp (at lvl 60): 40.6k
    FS (at lvl 60): 15.7k
    SA: Cutting Edge
    - When suffering a critical hit, inflict bleed for 15 seconds
    - 50% chance on hit to inflict bleed for 3 seconds if opponent has bleed

Twisted Mettle is good to bring up to silver, being that she is one of the better bronzes (though that doesn't say much). Her damage stat is actually pretty low, especially for a Painwheel. Though her ability to spam bleeds somewhat counters this. Even still, she's not exactly too great without Death Crawl or Cruel Lily, since, assuming you don't have either move, she has to be hit with a critical hit. Which, as we all know by now, getting hit isn't too great if its needed to perform well on offense. At least Grudge lets her stay alive longer though. She does still perform well against high hp fighters and most armored fighters since her bleeds effectively ignores armor. ICU Valentines and Bloodbath or fighters with immunity do well against her since her bleeds are rendered worthless. She does particularly well in the Medici Shakedown pf (or whichever one has the Hemofilia modifier). Ideal stats: atk %, def and meter gain.

9. Rage Appropriate
    Rarity: Silver
    Element: Water
    Atk (at lvl 60): 9,082
    Hp (at lvl 60): 43.1k
    FS (at lvl 60): 16.6k
    SA: Thin Skinned
    - Gain permanent enrage each time an opponent's attack inflicts more than 10% hp
    - Once per match, gain heavy regen AND 2 stacks of armor for 10 seconds when falling below 50% hp

Rage appropriate is back low where she should be. Though she was buffed, she's still not that good. Essentially, she's a weaker G.I Jazz. And G.I Jazz is bad. The one advantage she holds over other Painwheels is that she has the highest chance of surviving long enough to reap the benefits of her buffs. She can gain 2 or 3 enrages before the armor comes by, which brings her somewhat low damage up quite a bit. If she survives, she'll do quite a bit of damage to the opponent. Oddly, Grudge doesn't do much for her since her SA is almost the same as Grudge, so I wouldn't recommend getting. Prior to her buff, she was one of the worst fighters in the game. Although because of what the Grudge MA does for most other Painwheels, she is the worst Painwheel once again. Ideal stats: atk %, def, hp %, and meter gain.

Credits go to SiLVeRKnight for providing me the stats and SA for Grim Fan :D

#1 theLoneskull, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  2. Irghen

Irghen Member

Really wish I would have read this one before I levelled my Firefly so much.

Anyway, taking Rusty to gold now, but I have no idea which stats I should fo(cus) on.

(Little correction, on Twisted Mettle you mention she's one of the better bronzes while Rusty's almost at the top of the list ;))

(Also, I had to break that word in my sentence due to a content warning, but I think it might be a mistake?)

#2 Irghen, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  3. theLoneskull

(It's sort of general knowledge that Firefly sucks, but R.I.P)
    (The content warning's probably just a mistake or something)

With Rusty, I'd prioritize attack, meter gain, and defense. Having attack and defense is good (add some hp, but don't go all out with it since her hp already sucks anyway). Meter gain is good to get back to Death Crawl sooner and just endlessly stack bleeds

Irghen likes this.
  4. theLoneskull

A description of the role Painwheel plays has now been added

5. Made In Heaven

Made In Heaven New Member

Well, I don't know how to feel about it. I have 7.6k Buzzkill and 7.5k Twisted Mettle, and I find both of them pretty decent (well, there is no surprise why Buzzkill is decent). I don't know, I just like Twisted mettle too much, she's like my first painwheel fighter (<3 painwheel)

6. fanghoul

fanghoul Well-Known Member

I fought a Diamond Firefly today with maxed out MA for reflecting damage. That was a real nightmare. So maybe there's some hope.

7. theLoneskull

Was the user named "Dragonhearted" or something like that? Cause I've seen his diamond Firefly with the maxed MA that reflects dmg. And that's a nightmare

8. Made In Heaven

Made In Heaven New Member

I have a question. As I said, I have 7.8 Buzzkill and 7.7 Twisted mettle and now I'm leveling up Rusty. So the question is: should I upgrade Rusty to gold or keep her in silver.

9. Wumbo_Wings

Wumbo_Wings New Member

I think Rusty really shines as a gold, where she can face threats like AF, gold RE's, Untouchable, etc. There just aren't as many bronzes or silvers with buffs as annoying as the golds she can counter.

10. theLoneskull

Make Rusty gold. She's seriously worth it
    Continue working on the Buzzkill if possible. Nothing beats Buzzkill (as far as Painwheels go)

11. theLoneskull

Updated to include Fly Trap

12. Crisman

Crisman Member

I like a lot flytrap one day i decide to see how the 5 stacks of regen works so when i found her in the prize fights i let her kill one of my fighters and god she dont die because the stacks of regen never finished i dont have a way to put a bleed or make her swap because she regen so fast.

13. fanghoul

fanghoul Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update! It might be worth mentioning with Rusty that she turns stacks of precision into permanent bleeds (at least short of the enemy tagging out). It's made the Ms. Fortune Daily a lot easier for me since I discovered that.

theLoneskull likes this.
  14. theLoneskull

Oh yea. I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me

15. theLoneskull

Thing is, she has to kill someone first. Which is not good for a defensive Fly Trap because her health is low and she can be beaten by turtling and attacking her. Basically, don't let her kill anyone

16. Crisman

Crisman Member

Thats true, but for offense i think is good.

17. theLoneskull

I guess so, since the regen can act as a way to keep yourself alive if you mess up and start to get hit.

18. Nefarious

Nefarious Member

Being the worst just means being the best at being bad, I'll take it.

19. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

180BFAA7-18AE-4C0B-9745-FB6E24AD7CEE.jpeg Screenshot taken after flytrap killed one of my fighters AND squigly have preformed G5>juggle.
    So if flytraps regen has a timer it should’ve shown.
    Someone confirm does flytrap’s regen have a timer? Because the one I fought didn’t have a timer!

20. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

I for one is ready to welcome the strongest fighter