• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

rift 2.0 a look at the scores

tiffany butterfly

Reaction score
(im really bad at naming things.)

its been almost three months after rift 2.0. time to look at it again. is it oppressing to newer players? or is it more accessible now?

Backstory. i was checking element pf scores since I stopped rifting and moved into heavy grinding. but i noticed the lower rank scores in rift 2.0 are all 1015.

Let's look at the data. (Oh yeah BTW week july20 have the wrong date)

6-29(1st week of new rift) bronze 1 70% 1015
7-6 error (lol good times)
7-13 error again
7-20 silver4 60% 1015
7-27 silver4 60% 1015
8-3 silver3 50% 1015
8-10 silver3 50% 1015
8-17 silver3 50% 1015
8-24 silver3 50% 1015
8-31 silver3 50% 1015
9-7 silver2 40% 1015
9-14 silver2 40% 1015

So we have ppl who play 5 matches but they end up with a score of 1015. That's still a good amount of payoff with 400 rift coins. But let's think a bit on how to get a score of 1015 with 5 rift battles.

If nobody fight your base you have to lose twice on purpose.
If ppl attack you base then probable you need to win a bit more.
Then there's revenge and lower rankings are easy picking.

Here's what I think this means:
1 majority of ppl who play rift aren't being too active.
and the above brings us to
2 active players face more vicious battles with a handful of same rank players. (I tried for diamond two weeks ago, but my base got attacked more than 10 times in the last few hours and dropped to gold. Those diamond ppl are scary and no I didn't revenge because I didn't want to give them anymore scores)

Real talk guys.
I don't know what to think. On one hand I want rift coins and this discovery means I can get 400 easy. Which is good. Great even! Think about newer players who need some rift coins to get started. This is very newer player friendly. But on the other hand, seems a lot of ppl aren't even trying and it make this game mode feels ...uhm... It feels pretty dead. Which is sad to see. I like this game and I want to see all its game modes to be active.

So what do you guys think? Eh?
(Dailys are pretty dead too but we are not going to look at too many things at once!)

I've been wondering about this too, and I think it's because 1000 is both the starting point *and* the Rookie cutoff, which is probably what causing both this issue of clustering just above the cutoff, as well as a bigger, mostly invisible, problem.

Basically, there are only so many points to go around, and if things were distributed randomly, for each player above 1000 there must be a player below 1000 that they got their points from, either directly or indirectly. 1000 would be the middle of the bell curve, leaving half just over the hump at 1015 (one win over the starting amount), and the other half of all players at Rookie.

That said, I know points aren't being distributed randomly, and the players that do push for high ranks actively try and gain as much as possible. Early on in the push for higher ranks that means attacking the bases of 3-6 players at 1000 points (from my experience at least), so there might actually be *more* players below the Rookie cutoff than there are above it, possibly outnumbering the ranked players by 3 to 1 or more. Most of these players don't have competitively strong enough collections to fight their way back either, or the motivation to try once they fall too far under the cutoff, and it worries me that the Rookie cutoff seems to be actively shutting out a large chunk of the playerbase from the mode.

Basically, I think the Rookie cutoff either needs to be changed to allow new players to lose some points to more experienced players without being punished for it, or removed altogether and just have the Rookie rank reserved for people who completed a few battles but not enough to earn a real rank.

New players shouldn't be completely shut out of ranking for losing battles they had no chance of winning, since they're going to end up getting dogpiled early in the week by the people with Diamond, Gold, or even Silver ranked collections, and end up losing points they probably can't get back. This dogpiling and continuous feeling of being shut out from truly participating will probably discourage them from even attempting the mode, and considering that Rift is basically the end game mode that's supposed to encourage people to continue playing the game and building their collections in the long term, I worry what effects this will have on the game's user retention.

(Also, I generally end up in Gold 1 and sometimes push for Diamond 4, just to give folks reading this some context. My guesstimates are mostly based on a rough knowledge of statistics and not personal experience, so take them with a grain of salt.)

Wow WOW
Let me just say the 1000 rookie cutoff is news to me! I thought it would count everyone who fought 5 battles and I IMAGINED to have 1k be like silver3 or 4 and have lower rank populated by players with lower scores who still played. i THOUGHT all the 1015s was because ppl were lazy and didnt rift as much. Lol. Totally not the case. I only now understand what y'all meant when y'all were worried about new players. Omg. OMG.

Yeah. That cut off is not very ...what's the word... Productive to player encouragement.

Yeah yeah end game whatever. But to have ppl want the end game. They should get a small taste. That would make them want more, come back every day, to grind. Its all very capitalistic but that's how a mobile game lives on. Right?

But hell, what do I know. I didn't even look close enough to see that cutoff...sigh.

Reactions: Lililira
This dogpiling and continuous feeling of being shut out from truly participating will probably discourage them from even attempting the mode
If you'll apply this irl then it's the very truth how things works. It solely depends on the players(and it should)¹ to either quit or keep on trying,keep on gathering the experience and in-parallel increasing their collection² strength.
1. so that the game will not become a burden or addiction that means you quit when you want to.
2. increasing collection strength is the very factor that is making the economy of this game running and as a result feeding the Devs.

To counter the boredom, Devs are doing their best and only this year we got a MAJOR update and will surely get more.

considering that Rift is basically the end game mode
This line above is the very answer to everything.
Its the #Endgame. It is everybody's dream to acquire the Legend title atleast once.
That's why, if they want it to happen, they will not quit.

So, finally, according to me, the current rift status is fine.

How I rift:
I tried to get to dia is first few weeks but after my score gets above 1100, my base becomes the target to many and many REAL lvl 70 players. And I am not having enough horsepower to take revenge, ends up, inevitably, losing points.
Also the opponent suggestions also starts giving powerful opponents.
So, I just chill these days. Plays only 5 matches, gets to Gold2 every week. Sometimes even Gold1 'cause my defense is good, baby.
(‘~`)