• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Bug - Normal Black Dahlia: Counter, Strike! and a general overview of counters and parries.

Kheul

Reaction score
I would like to talk about Counters and Parries, but mainly on "Counter, Strike!". Black Dahlia's Counter Strike is kinda messy, it has some weird bugs and I will be comparing it to Big Band's parry. First of all they are not really the same, one is a stun oriented parry while the other one is based on a staggering attack without relying on stun, on the one hand this makes her more viable against enemies with immunity and high resistance but on the other hand this fact makes it so much weaker when interrupting advanced enemy actions such as Blockbusters and projectiles. While Big Band's parry can bring two full ground combos when +15, Black Dahlia's counter strike doesn't bring anything significant when maxed. Now for the bugs, I have tried it few times so the following are the ones I have found while trying out Counter Strike on Black Dahlia.

(Happened against Valentine and Umbrella not sure it would happen against other characters but it probably would) Dash attack into Tier 3 Blockbuster: When I tried to Counter Strike the following dash attacks of the afore-mentioned characters, I was able to successfully initiate the Counter Strike animation and she disappers for a split second before the staggering attack, but just before hitting the stagger, enemy spams the Tier 3 Blockbuster and render the special move itself meaningless.

(Squigly, not sure if charged stance matters) Dash attack into Dash2: After successfully initiating the Counter Strike against a Squigly who is dash attacking, just before I can hit the staggering attack she can hit the Dash2 and render the special move itself meaningless.

[[General overview of counters and parries: There is also a bug that makes these kind of Counters/Parries weak against certain debuffs that is being inflicted on certain conditons. For instance if I were to use Big Band's parry against a Beast King Beowulf, and even if I can successfully do the parry thus negating the damage, I still get inflicted with Beast King's conditional debuffs despite the attack itself does not meet the conditions of dealing enough damage to inflict debuffs. This happens against units like Class Cutter too, so I think parries/counters should be considered as if they are blocking states (even if you get inflicted with a huge chip damage while blocking it does not activate Beast King's signature ability) or even something superior to blocking because getting hit while "blocking" could possibly make enemies use level 3 Blockbusters.]]

Solutions for "Counter, Strike!" could be:

-Solution 1a: Teleportation attack against projectiles with innate Evasion, let's say Peacock is trying to hit Black Dahlia with Bang Bang Bang!, if Black Dahlia successfully initates the Counter Strike against the first shot, she teleports next to Peacock and staggers her with the use of innate evasion while Peacock is still trying to hit the 2nd and 3rd shots.

-Solution 1b: This first solution might solve the Dash attack into BB's and Dash2 of the Squigly thanks to the innate evasion.

I geniunely don't see a reason not to make her able to counter projectiles too, because Big Band's equivalent Special Move can stun enemies who are using projectiles and can even interrupt their blockbusters. And even if enemy has Immunity, resist the stun or just delay their attack Big Band can transition into block pretty well thanks to innate unflinching and invincibility. I do not know how it works on other Counters/Parries like for Annie, but I would not consider them being used for the same purpose, one is for initiating attacks (Big Band / Black Dahlia) while the other is for disruption (Annie).

-Solution 2: Quicker animation (though right now it looks quite cool ngl).

-Solution 3: Very brief stun just to guarantee the stagger (enemy having immunity would get her back to square one so probably not).

Thanks for your time and I hope you all can continue pouring love into this game. Have a good day.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply, the design team is aware of a few issues with Counter, Strike and will be looking to polish those up for future updates. As far as your other feedback, I'll share that with the team, thanks.

Reactions: Kheul