• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Other Season Pass ideas

Dusty00

Reaction score
Season pass is so prevalent in recent games and many older games have added it. Even Skullgirls 2e has season 1 pass.

This is an attempt to get a feel from fellow forum dwellers what they think about Season Pass for SGM and what they’d like it to be.

1. Do you think Season Pass is a good idea for SGM?
2. Would you pay for season pass if it becomes available? How much would be reasonable?
3. What would you want to see in a season pass?

For me, I’d welcome the addition of season pass given it’s implemented in a way that it does not make the game more Pay to Win but provide some minor perks. If it’s around $9.99 for each month it will probably get some more traction than the existing subscriptions.

What I’d like to see in a season pass would be a combination or all of:

- Early access to new characters and variants. Instead of waiting for months before you can open already owned relics for the new variants/characters, you can pull them immediately on release. OR there would be a discount to the new characters relics / regular price instead of double price in Cabinet of Curiosity.
- get both the Theonite and Canopy Coin subscriptions.
- a new currency for season pass owners only to give us more agency in making shiny cards so it’s not pure luck from opening relics.
- 1 free daily refresh of CoC, PF and rift opponents.
- 1 free opportunity to restore prize fight streak when you lose (per PF)
- 1 free refresh of deployment per day
- increases max daily ticket limit to 8 instead of 4 (still receive 4 a day but you can save more to use later in the week)
- double the odds of getting gold gifts, decreasing odds of pink gifts
- some exclusive cosmetic stuff such as a different player profile icon, card border, or color to your user name (similar to how devs have purple names)
- PF score multiplier becomes fixed at 5x instead of needing to grind 16 fights starting with 1x, or some way to ramp up more quickly to 5x.

I don’t think any of the above would give too much of an advantage for season pass subscribers other than saving some time, gaining some cosmetics, and getting early access to some aspects of new content. It’ll still need to be attractive enough so that your normal, none-whale players may be enticed to get a pass every now and again.

While a pass like above would be neat and fair, your post has also made me think of the darker, more likely reality of a battle pass getting added instead that straight up has basic resources and relics on it, with extra stuff for paying.

Reactions: began98239
Something like a 'season/battle' pass is most likely coming to SGM...eventually (checks roadmap posts; still got a lot of other new things to complete...) And I'm sure there have been many, many discussions already at HVS as to how something like a pass will be implemented. Heck, we may have already completed a survey that shaped some of those discussions.

Your list of perks is certainly food for thought:
- Early access to new characters and variants. Instead of waiting for months before you can open already owned relics for the new variants/characters, you can pull them immediately on release. OR there would be a discount to the new characters relics / regular price instead of double price in Cabinet of Curiosity.
Isn't this already in the game? I mean, most new character/variants are available day-one to everyone, if you're willing to spend the resources (in-game or real $). Granted, those are typically 'special' unique relics since you can't have some Premiere/Jackpot/etc. relics seeded with the new variants/characters and some that are not. I think this is more a limitation of how OG Relics were programmed and not by design.

Maybe 'mini' versions of those subs...I mean, wow those 2 subs is $8 in value right there...I'm thinking the pass would have to be more than $10 if both were included.

- a new currency for season pass owners only to give us more agency in making shiny cards so it’s not pure luck from opening relics.
Seems to be at odds with the spirit of being 'lucky' enough to get a shiny card...

I dunno how much 'value' there is to CoC or Rift refreshes since they do refresh for free on a time basis.

Well, this one's value scales, doesn't it? Maybe half price?

Wait. What? You can refresh deployments still?...oh, look, you can!...1 for free? Yeah, I'll risk the RNG.

- increases max daily ticket limit to 8 instead of 4 (still receive 4 a day but you can save more to use later in the week)
This one...any 'cap' on daily tickets is not much of a perk IMHO.

LOL. Only if gold gifts didn't give THE SAME 'value' of CC/RC/SP/etc. (looking at you 2 Rift coins) rewards as pink gifts, I'd be more excited for this option... Oops...I was thinking OPENING gold gifts, not giving them...yes, need to be able to earn more gold gifts!

- some exclusive cosmetic stuff such as a different player profile icon, card border, or color to your user name (similar to how devs have purple names)
I'm surprised this isn't a thing when reaching any of the top 3 Rift rankings, but yeah, some sorta 'flare' for your profile pic/frame and/or username would be fun. Maybe like the 'Titles' in Street Fighter 4/5. You'd still have choice of variant (you own) as you main image, but something extra to spice it up a bit. Or just a 'season pass' icon of some sort next to our user name. Lots of fun options here.

- PF score multiplier becomes fixed at 5x instead of needing to grind 16 fights starting with 1x, or some way to ramp up more quickly to 5x.
I dunno...this seems like it would impact PF percentage-based rewards too much...

Personally, speaking as a F2Player...most of these listed perks are somewhat available already...if you put money into the game.
SGM isn't really P2W, it is P2Save time and/or open more relics. So a pass that bypasses much of the RNG that the game was founded upon starts to feel P2W...I'm not saying a pass is a bad thing, just in SGM it would difficult to balance; it would have to have enough value to make it worth while and at the same time not have a negative impact on the rest of the player base that opts not to purchase the pass...

Also, IMHO, the 'new' month long PFs feel like a season pass, albeit free. Especially so, when new characters/variants coincide with them.

Reactions: Dusty00
Something like a 'season/battle' pass is most likely coming to SGM...eventually (checks roadmap posts; still got a lot of other new things to complete...) And I'm sure there have been many, many discussions already at HVS as to how something like a pass will be implemented. Heck, we may have already completed a survey that shaped some of those discussions.

Your list of perks is certainly food for thought:

Isn't this already in the game? I mean, most new character/variants are available day-one to everyone, if you're willing to spend the resources (in-game or real $). Granted, those are typically 'special' unique relics since you can't have some Premiere/Jackpot/etc. relics seeded with the new variants/characters and some that are not. I think this is more a limitation of how OG Relics were programmed and not by design.

Maybe 'mini' versions of those subs...I mean, wow those 2 subs is $8 in value right there...I'm thinking the pass would have to be more than $10 if both were included.

Seems to be at odds with the spirit of being 'lucky' enough to get a shiny card...

I dunno how much 'value' there is to CoC or Rift refreshes since they do refresh for free on a time basis.

Well, this one's value scales, doesn't it? Maybe half price?

Wait. What? You can refresh deployments still?...oh, look, you can!...1 for free? Yeah, I'll risk the RNG.

This one...any 'cap' on daily tickets is not much of a perk IMHO.

LOL. Only if gold gifts didn't give THE SAME 'value' of CC/RC/SP/etc. (looking at you 2 Rift coins) rewards as pink gifts, I'd be more excited for this option... Oops...I was thinking OPENING gold gifts, not giving them...yes, need to be able to earn more gold gifts!

I'm surprised this isn't a thing when reaching any of the top 3 Rift rankings, but yeah, some sorta 'flare' for your profile pic/frame and/or username would be fun. Maybe like the 'Titles' in Street Fighter 4/5. You'd still have choice of variant (you own) as you main image, but something extra to spice it up a bit. Or just a 'season pass' icon of some sort next to our user name. Lots of fun options here.

I dunno...this seems like it would impact PF percentage-based rewards too much...

Personally, speaking as a F2Player...most of these listed perks are somewhat available already...if you put money into the game.
SGM isn't really P2W, it is P2Save time and/or open more relics. So a pass that bypasses much of the RNG that the game was founded upon starts to feel P2W...I'm not saying a pass is a bad thing, just in SGM it would difficult to balance; it would have to have enough value to make it worth while and at the same time not have a negative impact on the rest of the player base that opts not to purchase the pass...

Also, IMHO, the 'new' month long PFs feel like a season pass, albeit free. Especially so, when new characters/variants coincide with them.
Thanks for adding your thoughts on these. I was basically just dumping out all ideas I could think of and hope others like you would pick it apart and add to it.

Agreed that HVS probably already have discussed this but I don’t recall a specific question on past surveys or open discussions on the forum on this topic. As you pointed out, finding the right balance will be challenging since SGM is more a P2Savetime game and I hope it stays that way even if they do eventually add a season/battle pass.

Reactions: CheeseBurger
Really like your suggestions here @Dusty00 !!

Cosmetics and skins have been a popular reason to buy season passes, but SGM is unique since 'skins' are actually variants with different abilities. I wonder if there's a way to add this further.. The floating Skullheart for Death Wish for example is such a cool cosmetic and perhaps having similar options for this could be an interest (or maybe it's too distracting?).

Personally, I think unique cosmetics on certain variants is the way to go, instead of being able to add any cosmetic on any variant. So more variants like Death Wish (skullheart theme), Star-Crossed (galaxy theme), Mummy Dearest (rainbow thingy), and Rainbow Blight in the future would be something I'd be totally excited about. Adds onto the appeal of the variant itself, rather than just its abilities!

Love the idea for customized banners and flairs though! A great way to show your personality a bit more than usual. I also thought about skins for the home menu? But the appeal for skins is to show it off to other people so it probably won't work..

Season pass is so prevalent in recent games and many older games have added it. Even Skullgirls 2e has season 1 pass.

This is an attempt to get a feel from fellow forum dwellers what they think about Season Pass for SGM and what they’d like it to be.

1. Do you think Season Pass is a good idea for SGM?
2. Would you pay for season pass if it becomes available? How much would be reasonable?
3. What would you want to see in a season pass?

For me, I’d welcome the addition of season pass given it’s implemented in a way that it does not make the game more Pay to Win but provide some minor perks. If it’s around $9.99 for each month it will probably get some more traction than the existing subscriptions.

What I’d like to see in a season pass would be a combination or all of:

I don’t think any of the above would give too much of an advantage for season pass subscribers other than saving some time, gaining some cosmetics, and getting early access to some aspects of new content. It’ll still need to be attractive enough so that your normal, none-whale players may be enticed to get a pass every now and again.
Here are my thoughts in your suggestions:

1. Season Pass is really a must.

2. Yes, i suggests to be more likely as 10$, but the the prizes should be worth, i mean, getting tons of canopies and theonites to buy or invest more variants to experiment more in the game. Let's spice things up, let's add Variants. A CERTAIN Variant/s (It'll be much more worth to buy season pass if the devs are going to put diamond tier variants) that you can obtain every season pass in first purchase.

3. What i really do want is, to get more KEYS, such as DIAMOND KEYS, some of the busy players out there, doing their jobs, can't even grind because they lack of time, such as me and let's not forget the other loots regarding upon how you use those keys.

My thoughts in your suggestions:
- 1 free daily refresh of CoC, PF and rift opponents.👇
"Every an hour, CoC will change its loots, Putting a FREE refresh in PF is a good idea, although it's not really necessary and Rift opponent's can be refreshed within 2 hours, it's more likely as fair, the only thing you need to do is manage your time."

- 1 free opportunity to restore prize fight streak when you lose (per PF). 👇
"I suggest to make it as a half theonite price."

- increases max daily ticket limit to 8 instead of 4 (still receive 4 a day but you can save more to use later in the week)👇
"That's a good option, but combining my suggestions with yours, let's not make it to 8, let it stay to 4 tickets, cause we're getting too much loot here. Let's try to make it balance. While we're getting loots, we're supporting the devs as well."

- double the odds of getting gold gifts, decreasing odds of pink gifts👇
"This is a must."

- some exclusive cosmetic stuff such as a different player profile icon, card border, or color to your user name (similar to how devs have purple names)👇
"Very interesting, let's say in MLBB (Mobile Legends; Bang Bang) (The rip-off game). It's very interesting to see such colorful profile icons, let's spice things up, how about i suggest a different kinds of facial expressions of the fighters/variants to wear/use. That'll be cool, although it's going to be messy at the same time."

- PF score multiplier becomes fixed at 5x instead of needing to grind 16 fights starting with 1x, or some way to ramp up more quickly to 5x.👇
"... 🤔 The current function in the PF is very normal in my opinion. PF's are more likely as time-based gameplay."

If there will be a season pass, i would gladly to subscribe and will support the devs to make the game more fun and exciting and soon, the game will be known around the world just like how Tekken works. ❤️❤️

I am coming here from the 2023 roadmap. Most battlepasses usually have cosmetics or resources and for mobile games its mostly resources. Skins are proper fighters here so mostly resources for the game pass. Here are few things I would really like to see in the sgm battlepass.

Resources: A decent amount of theonite and a lot of canopy coins. 1 diamond key in free track and atleast 1 in paid track if not more. Other keys can be added as fillers. Rerolls can be decent fillers in the pass. Diamond relic shards can be in the pass too. Essence shards at a low quantity can be in the pass as well.
I have too many treats, xp boosts and energy refills and skill points mostly from gifts so I personally dont want them in pass.

Profile customizations: Special banner or header on profile to make it stand out will be cool. Put it in paid trackand make it available for theo/real money few months after that pass is over. Keep exclusive/limited banners to game skill and not time locked.

Relics: Supposing the pass lasts for a month I would like if a few of the monthly event jackpot relics are made available in pass. They are basically special silver relics but its nice if you get lucky.

Streak revive: Available for a one time use while the pass lasts in the paid track. You probably get it upon purchasing the pass and can use it anytime instead of theo to continue your streak.

Character Shards: No not skill points but shards. This obviously needs to be added in the game separately before making it available in pass. Whenever you pull a character you receive their shards depending on rarity and you can use those shards to exchange for a copy of the character at any time. This is my idea for a hard pity and giving a small amount of shards in pass will be nice.
Keep it something like 2, 5, 10, 20 on pulling bronze, silver, gold and diamond fighter respectively. For exchanging shards to characters it can be like 100, 250, 500,1000 shards for bronze, silver, gold and diamond fighter respectively. Giveaway fighters cannot be exchanged/ need a super high amount of shards to exchange. Elemental exclusives can be exchanged for a higher rate than diamonds.

I have written this assuming the pass will be 10$ and run for a month. If there are benefits to purchasing the pass every month ( like a streak bonus) then additional rewards can be given to those people. I dont mind them getting diamond relic/ 10+1 pulls as well if they spend 10$ a month for like many months continuous.

Streak revive: Available for a one time use while the pass lasts in the paid track. You probably get it upon purchasing the pass and can use it anytime instead of theo to continue your streak.
Whoa, I really like this idea. There was something like that in Ninja Must Die 3 (small doll-like thing) that allowed player to revive ninja once if they were to fail. Spending theo on restoring streak is massive rip-off, and having to start over is super boring.
Another cool thing I would like to see is some sort of protection for streak applied without having to use this item that allows you to keep your streak only once, you can also find it in Ninja Must Die 3 in Arena mode.
What a game this Ninja Must Die is, huh.

Backstage Pass
  • We all know and love Battle Passes, don’t we? Who doesn’t love more free stuff?!
Yay, we all knew this was coming, it was just a matter of 'when'.

Considering that the Backstage Pass is in the 'Coming Soon' category, we can assume that other 'Coming Soon' features will factor in to the Pass, like Avatars and with Avatars means Chat Presentation. Based on that; there's a high probability that some Avatars will be obtainable in the Pass track with 'exclusive' ones only in the Paid side?

Also, because Backstage Pass is in "Coming Soon", it is safe to say that it is pretty far into development if we are to see it in the next major update; that said, the following is purely speculation:

I'm guessing the Pass will be its own thing and not be attached to the Monthly PF rewards structure, but that doesn't mean the new Monthly Fighter Drop can't be in the Pass rewards. I'm thinking that at the very least the Monthly Relics will be on the track (more, obviously, in the Paid side). Another possibility would be that the F2P track would get a Monthly Relic while the Paid track also gets the Monthly Diamond relic? But that sounds too much like the current Monthly Event PF rewards...Though, would it seem too 'P2W' if the monthly Diamond fighter was the 'top' reward of the paid Pass? Possible, maybe just the Gold Fighter instead? Hmm, thinking about a bit more...the Monthly PF rewards could be restructured to be the Pass...I hope not.

So, what else is in the Pass rewards? I'm thinking not much outside of what we already get in PF/Rift rewards; Theo, CC, Shards (relic/essence), keys, Relics, Skill points, Retakes. I'm sure there will be XP treats/boosts and Energy refills mixed in. Maybe Gifts too. That's not to say that there's no possibility of the Devs surprising us with some new 'currency', relic or reward in the Pass. Anything is possible...like a Backstage Relic that will have it's own loot table.

Next is progression of the Pass. From the 'Mission-like Daily/Weekly/Monthly goals' description is sounds similar to the current Daily Ops, only with a larger cap and a longer timeline. Are we going to see 'old' Daily Missions return, like "Play/Win ___Tier/Character 10 times" or "Play/Win 10 fights in PF/Event/Story/'New' mode"? I'm also going to assume we earn a small amount of Pass progress just by playing in the usual matches, maybe? It will be interesting to see how 'difficult' maxing the progression track will be within a month. Usually that's the determining factor if a Pass is purchased; if you can max the track before the end of the month and the Paid rewards are enough 'in-game value', then it is 'worth' it. I would also like to see the option buy the Pass with Theo.

Whatever the Devs have in store for the Backstage Pass, of the few games I've played with Monthly/Season Passes and as long as there is no FOMO for the Free2Players, it is usually a good addition to a game you already enjoy playing.

Another possibility would be that the F2P track would get a Monthly Relic while the Paid track also gets the Monthly Diamond relic? But that sounds too much like the current Monthly Event PF rewards...Though, would it seem too 'P2W' if the monthly Diamond fighter was the 'top' reward of the paid Pass?
I think I prefer if that the case (inclued Monthly PF in the Pass), it give more option to the players. If I don't have certain variants that appear in the PF, I'll be more enticing to buy the Pass to have more chance to get those, for people that already have those variants, they also have the option to not buy them. As of this current monthly Viva La Fiesta, I was hoping for Fur Mongel but instead I got my third Dream Band -> I will be more likely to buy the Pass to have more chance to get her.
That's not to say that there's no possibility of the Devs surprising us with some new 'currency', relic or reward in the Pass. Anything is possible...like a Backstage Relic that will have it's own loot table.
Exclusive currencies and relics that affect gameplay are what make it creep into P2W territory, as in players have to pay to get it. Also, we already have various "currencies" to keep track of, I really don't want to have to manage more.
I'm also going to assume we earn a small amount of Pass progress just by playing in the usual matches, maybe? It will be interesting to see how 'difficult' maxing the progression track will be within a month.
In most of the "battle pass" that I played in other games, they all have certain missions to progress, some P2W than other to complete, some are more niche and specific. I hope SG pass would be like play or win 10/20/30 matches to get x/y/z points. As for difficulty, if you have to complete all missions to get to the end of the pass, I think it'll stop at reach streak 20 in PF, as it'll be achievable for new players if they want to opt into premium. But if you don't need every missions to complete the track, and more exess points can be reward in coins or theonites, then the difficulty can be as high as they want (like reach 40/50 streak, or get diamond rank in Rift)

Other than that, I hope (or think) the premium track wll inclued some exclusive cosmetic, like avatar, card border, or special font effect. But anw, Battle Pass is in Coming Soon so I suspect they already have everything in order and we will know the content soon enough.

A subscription in existing games is shared, that is, all players get access to it. and with two options: basic for everyone, which gives everyone some resources in a small amount. and advanced or premium, which you need to buy. It seems to me that you can often see "donat garbage" about such games in reviews, since buying a pass allows you to pump faster and get the desired options.

And if we consider, as it was written in one of the messages above, that there will be some specific option and this should increase sales, then it seems to me that this is no better than entering an exchange between players, especially since it will bury most of the store's offers, which is tied to the random loss of heroes from relics.

But if there are only cosmetic effects of the account and the like in the donation part of the pass, then it will not affect existing offers, and the success of the sale of the BP itself will depend on the quality of these effects.

You can also include an increase in the collection, or as I suggested somewhere, the animation of the hero card. That would be cool.

You can make relics with an additional effect for the hero, and if the wrong one fell out, then several of them can be exchanged for 1 new closed one of the next rarity level or for animation for a card of a specific hero of the same rarity. I think even if we take that for example the first month will be added only to Annie, in the next for example to peacock... then it's not too difficult to draw 11-13 gifs in a month.

Also, animated avatars in the profile, I think, would warm up interest in a paid pass.

Last edited: