• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Choosing which variants to use; Defaults seem better than silver variants?

Captain France

Reaction score
Am I missing something, or are defaults better than silver variants a lot?

With Valentine, Scrub and Graveyard Shift seem to have almost the same stats, but Scrub's Ability seems more useful. Regen is pretty slow, and extra blockbuster speed and faster scratch damage recovery are really helpful; especially since a level 3 Blockbuster can be almost an OHKO with element advantage.

With Parasoul, I've got Sheltered, Ivy League, and Heavy Reign. Ivy League's ability DOES seem like the best, but not by enough to justify reunlocking the skill tree. Heavy Reign's ability seems pretty useless without Overly Critical or her Marquee ability, to boot.

On Filia, Bad Hair Day's Razor Shears seems better than Hair Apparent's tag-in and special move reduction, or at least comparable enough that I, again, don't know why I'd want to start the skill tree over for it.

I don't think I've gotten a single Silver whose ability Iike enough better than their Bronze equivalent to want to start stuff over instead of evolving. Am I missing something? Or is evolving a bronze definitely the way to go most of the time?

Last edited:
With how silver tier SA (Signature Ability) vs. their bronze counter-part, there are those that stand above despite being a lower tier. Valentine is a special case since she's in a bad spot in general as of now. Tiers currently don't represent much as appose to their SA, for example most would agree that you can use Painwheel's Rusty variant (Bronze) a lot more freely and find more success than Beowulf's Weekend Warrior (Gold). You aren't wrong to think bronze being better than silver, it is a weird concept but in SGM, their SA makes or breaks a fighter of any tier. For me personally tiers only matter in evolving a fighter to a higher tier, bronze < silver < gold, and how to use them at way.

Am I missing something, or are defaults better than silver variants a lot?

With Valentine, Scrub and Graveyard Shift seem to have almost the same stats, but Scrub's Ability seems more useful. Regen is pretty slow, and extra blockbuster speed and faster scratch damage recovery are really helpful; especially since a level 3 Blockbuster can be almost an OHKO with element advantage.

With Parasoul, I've got Sheltered, Ivy League, and Heavy Reign. Ivy League's ability DOES seem like the best, but not by enough to justify reunlocking the skill tree. Heavy Reign's ability seems pretty useless without Overly Critical or her Marquee ability, to boot.

On Filia, Bad Hair Day's Razor Shears seems better than Hair Apparent's tag-in and special move reduction, or at least comparable enough that I, again, don't know why I'd want to start the skill tree over for it.

I don't think I've gotten a single Silver whose ability Iike enough better than their Bronze equivalent to want to start stuff over instead of evolving. Am I missing something? Or is evolving a bronze definitely the way to go most of the time?
While yeah some of the silvers can seem lackluster it all depends on your playing style- for example if you find you like a certain fighters pallete your certain to use them more and find better ways to use them. Also if you find your self using multiple special moves or tag Ike then hair apparent is useful. Even if you can’t find something now, just remember all fighters are subject to change like Ivy League or Rage appropriate. (Also it seems you haven’t gotten ahold of Doublishious yet- cause she is a real treat)

Reactions: Captain France
Yeah, I'm pretty new. Managed to clear the entire regular story on Basic, plus a few advances, and just started Origin Stories. I have seen a grand total of one Double, a Nunsense.

Glad to know I'm not making a mistake liking these ones that started as Bronze more and evolving them. I'm sure at higher levels there'll be more room to mess around with different variations without feeling like I'm wasting skill points and coins, but right now, the only thing in Silver I've seen that I've liked a LOT better than the Bronze options is Dead Heat Squigly, and lucky for me, she's the first Squigly and the first Silver I got.

Reactions: rexturtle1120
Yeah, I'm pretty new. Managed to clear the entire regular story on Basic, plus a few advances, and just started Origin Stories. I have seen a grand total of one Double, a Nunsense.

Glad to know I'm not making a mistake liking these ones that started as Bronze more and evolving them. I'm sure at higher levels there'll be more room to mess around with different variations without feeling like I'm wasting skill points and coins, but right now, the only thing in Silver I've seen that I've liked a LOT better than the Bronze options is Dead Heat Squigly, and lucky for me, she's the first Squigly and the first Silver I got.
Oh yeah that’s a really good Squigly, I mean I think the Squiglys in general are very well rounded. Also there’s no shame in liking bronzes. I mean people don’t seem to like using decrypted Eliza, but one of her SAs turns all enemy buffs to bleed when triggering Sehkmet- so image if you KO a big top and it revived with Invincible and unflinching- just trigger sehkmet and Bada Bing Bada Boom those Buffs are GONE

Reactions: Captain France
Both silver Peacocks outperform the bronze variants by a big margin. I'd say Parasoul's silvers are also much better than the bronzes.
Big Band isn't too much better offensively but Resonant Evil is one of the strongest defensive fighters.
Squigly is also not much better off in silver but Dead Heat is better than both bronzes in my opinion.
Scarlet Viper is more potent offensively than Eliza's bronze variants.
Oh Mai outperforms Scrub and Icy Hot offensively, though she's not a powerhouse either.
Doublicious is another good silver, though Sundae School offers better supporting abilities.

Do be careful about evolving fighters, though, as it's irreversible. Remember to keep some strong fighters (preferably one of every character) at every tier in case you feel that you need to partake in bronze or silver Prize Fights or you come across a node in Story Mode that has harsh fight restrictions (a certain node at a certain difficulty in Going All In comes to mind...).