• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Other [Buff] - Block Proficiency > include Reflect Damage reduction

SvenZ

Reaction score
Description:

As a player, I want Block Proficiency to also reduce reflect damage taken, so we have more ways to deal with reflect damage, and have more reasons to invest into Block Proficiency.

Current: Block Proficiency
Decreases the damage taken while blocking by a percent.​
Proposed remake: Sturdiness
(name is subject to change or stay the same. Share your ideas in the comments)
Decreases the damage taken while blocking by a percent, and reduces all reflect damage taken by half of Sturdiness' amount.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Acceptance Criteria:

1. Reflect Damage Reduction is applied AFTER the initial Reflect Damage calculation. Meaning, it doesn't reduce the overall percent of reflect damage by a flat amount or by percentage. Please refer to formula example:
Current = (Total Damage Taken * Reflect Damage Percent) / 100
New = [(Total Damage Taken * Reflect Damage Percent) / 100] x (1 - Reflect Damage Reduction)

2. Example. Let's assume the following
a) Our character deals = 20 000 damage
b) Opponent has 2 stacks of thorns = 40% Damage reflection
c) We have 40% Sturdiness = 20% Reflect reduction
Current = (20 000 * 40) / 100 = 8 000
New = [(20 000 * 40) / 100] x [1 - (20/100)] = 8 000 x 0.8 = 6 400

3. Since Reflect Reduction is half of what can be reached for Block Proficiency, the cap is 50%.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Notes:

Reflect damage refers to:

- Thorns, Painwheel's Tainted Blood marquee, Treble Maker SA2, Dread Locks SA1 etc...

Reason for the buff:
- Block Proficiency is a rarely picked up stats. Reflect damage is also a pretty big annoyance in the game. Instead of incorporating a whole new separate stat for Reflect Damage reduction, which is going to be hard to balance and cause only issues for stat prioritization, it's best to bundle them together.
- Reduction shouldn't be too strong, which is why it can only ever reach 50%.
- This will not nullify reflect characters out of the blue, but will instead just encourage different stat prioritization when fighting them.

Reason for the Name change:
- Block Proficiency is self explanatory for the current effect, but if we add 1 more effect to it, it may end up being overshadowed.
- If we change the name to something else, it will bring the user's attention to see what this stat actually does, and will see the "reflect damage reduction" aspect.

Why apply the Reflect Reduction after damage calculation and not for the reflect % itself?:
- My reasoning is to not nerf Reflect Damage too much. If we proceed to reduce the reflect damage value too much, a lot of variants may lose their significance and buffs in other aspects may be warranted.
- That is a lot of additional work that can be avoided if we go for the safer route of having reflect damage be reduced after the fact. Still keeping it strong, but not annoying.

Player benefit:
- More ways to deal with Reflect Damage.
- More diversity in stat builds.

Business benefit:
- Encourages players to obtain and invest in more Special Moves and Blockbusters.

Last edited:
Nice suggestion you got there! But I have one question.

Is it correct to understand that simply adding one sturdiness to a move stat will halve reflected damage regardless of the number? If that is the case, there would be a sudden increase in players who put just one sturdiness into their move stats to reduce reflected damage, and there would be no point in increasing the value itself.

Personally, reflected damage can be countered with many abilities like regen or barrier (that's what Rockstar is for!), so I don't think any adjustments are necessary.

Nice suggestion you got there! But I have one question.

Is it correct to understand that simply adding one sturdiness to a move stat will reflected damage halve regardless of the number? If that is the case, there would be a sudden increase in players who put just one sturdiness into their move stats to reduce reflected damage, and there would be no point in increasing the value itself.
Thank you for the response! Please refresh the thread, I added the calculation changes that will be made. Sturdiness will reduce reflect damage after initial damage calculation.

I'll edit the effect description so it's more clear.

Personally, reflected damage can be countered with many abilities like regen or barrier (that's what Rockstar is for!), so I don't think any adjustments are necessary.
My reason is to both give more value to Block Proficiency, which is an underutilized stat, and to also provide a counter to a generally disliked mechanic of the game. As mentioned, the reduction isn't huge, but it's enough where big burst damage moves or ones with guaranteed crits don't end up killing you in a flash

Last edited: