• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Other Compatibility mode

Psyche

Reaction score
Not much thought went into this; I’m writing it off the cuff.
Basically, I think one of the steps HVS could take to opening up the game to a wider audience is to make it easier to run on older/lower end devices. I know they’re already working on this through various optimisations and behind-the-scenes tweaks, but what if we had a simple switch that, when flicked, would remove any non-essential fancy graphics effects? Examples include the diamond shutter screen transition, the slow motion KO, BB finisher portraits and the story mode cursor moving all over the place. Admittedly I don’t actually know how much resource usage these features demand, and in hindsight I suppose what I’m really asking for is a skip button. Don’t get me wrong, though: I absolutely love all of the animations and do not need to use this mode; I just think it could open SGM to a marginally wider market.

I have to disagree, I don’t think it’s a good idea to waste time and resources to excessively optimize the game any further so extremely low end/outdated devices can run it.

People who are using the cheapest or oldest phones certainly can’t afford to upgrade to a newer device, so what makes you think they can afford to spend any money on the game? Trying to appeal to that demographic wouldn’t be as profitable as allowing players on the latest and greatest phones to enable more fancy graphical features. (Besides the App Store specifically promotes apps and games that take advantage of the new features on their newest devices)

Reactions: VicKing
That’s a fair point and I agree, though I’m not sure just how much time/money it would take to implement minor changes like some of the ones I described. It can’t be too difficult to add a simple fade-to-black interface transition when a fancy patterned one already exists, right? If this takes up too many resources to be worthwhile, then by all means there’s no need, but if all that really needs to happen is for slightly modified duplicates of existing code and graphics to be implemented then I think it could potentially be profitable.

It can’t be too difficult to add a simple fade-to-black interface transition when a fancy patterned one already exists, right? If this takes up too many resources to be worthwhile, then by all means there’s no need,

They said fixing broken super finisher graphics was low priority so what do you think is considered “taking up too many resources?”

And UI transition is probably the least laggy part for people using old and crappy devices.

I’ve tried to play this on my 1st Gen iPad Air with lighting disabled and it’s a huge lagfest in fights where I get like 15 fps

You can only go so far with software optimization until you hit the hardware limit. I doubt they can tweak things any further before severely compromising graphical quality.

I’m not saying to downgrade the entire game just to include these other potential players, I’m saying there could be a toggle to disable fancy effects.

I’m not saying to downgrade the entire game just to include these other potential players, I’m saying there could be a toggle to disable fancy effects.

I’m saying the game is already well optimized enough already and instead of wasting unnecessary time and resources to try and squeeze out even more performance for outdated and weak devices, they should move forward and focus on improving graphical quality for newer more powerful ones.