1. [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy
    Dismiss Notice

Other Devs/mods - You have to step it up against the hackers

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Mornedil, Oct 12, 2019 at 7:49 PM.

1. Mornedil

Mornedil Member

I made a thread about the hacker situation, little over 6 weeks ago.

Nothing has changed, I still match with hackers a couple of times every week.
    Even tho I win 90% of my legit rift matches, I still can't increase my rift rank because of the amount of hackers I match with.

So why are there so many hackers?
    Because it's worth it to use a modded APK in this game.

And why is it worth it?
    Because it takes too long for people to get banned.

This has to change.
    • Hackers shouldn't be able to reach level 60+
    • Hackers shouldn't be able to climb to the gold rank in rifts.
    • After someone is reported, it shouldn't take more than a week before their account is suspended, if the evidence is obvious enough.

I've heard devs say that "fighting hackers is like an arms race".
    That's true to a certain extent. If developers create stronger anti-hack systems, hackers work harder to get around it, which forces the devs to create even stronger anti-hack.. etc.

However, this does not apply to manually banning people, which is where more efforts should be put in.
    You ban someone, and they're gone. What can they do about it? They can create a new account.
    But the problem here is that accounts are banned so infrequently that it's worth it to create new accounts.
    If people are banned sooner, it won't be worth the effort of creating new accounts over and over again, and even tho there will always be new hackers, banning them earlier will prevent them from ruining the game from legit players.

2. Mornedil

Mornedil Member

Another method besides banning would be a silent blacklist system.

Rather than banning people, they could be put on a blacklist.
    While on this blacklist, they can still play the game, and they will get no indication that they're on this blacklist.
    They can participate in prize fights and earn rewards, but their score is not included in the rewards system.
    They can participate in rifts, but they can only match with other blacklisted players.

A method like this would let hackers continue playing the game even after they've been caught, but it would prevent them from affecting legit players.
    Since this method is sneaky, it could also reduce the amount of new hacker accounts being created, since a hacker will still have access to their caught account, and they might not even know they've been caught.

3. Hall☆weenQueen

Hall☆weenQueen Active Member

You are so right about this hacker problem being such an issue it feels like it's hurting the people who play by the rules. I like ypor blacklist idea, but what is the threshold for putting someone on such a blacklist? It could seriously hurt a legitimate player to be blacklisted so the bar would need to be set pretty high, but if the devs could ID every hacker, I feel like this would be less of an issue. They may just be too understaffed to work such a system right now but it sounds like a solid idea! Maybe if players could offer more evidence of hackers to help out the devs ID them, this could really happen!

500TheoniteSeriously likes this.
  4. TraiP

TraiP New Member

tbh ,this seems like too much work to prevent hackers from cheating,because you will essentially have two versions of the game one for cheaters and one for normal players .I think an IP ban will do the job just fine,if it is accompanied with an anti-cheat mechanism from the server side with human verification ,it will be optimal.

500TheoniteSeriously likes this.
  5. Fel

Fel wuf

Just to clarify, mods don't have anything to do with the banning process in game!

6. Mornedil

Mornedil Member

I'm not worried about legitimate players being put there accidentally, if people are only put on it with obvious proof (or by the automatic cheat detection). For example, getting 24400+ battle score in rifts, or beating prize fight teams with 30k fighters while using 1-2k fighters.
    If there's any doubt, wait and see if more reports are coming in for the same player before blacklisting.

I'm not an expert, but I don't think IP bans would work for a mobile game, since people can use public wi-fi or mobile networks where IP may be different between sessions.

It wouldn't be that complicated. Just that blacklisted players would have a server-sided variable or flag that tells the game they're blacklisted, which makes it easy to filter them out of prize fights and rifts.
    • For rift matchmaking, it would just add an extra check in addition to comparing rank and collection strength. If both players have the same blacklist status, (either true or false) they can match.
    • For prize fights, blacklisted players would simply be filtered out from the score list before it's compiled, so they don't affect the outcome.

I put it in the title because I think maybe that's something to consider. I can imagine the devs are busy working on the game itself, creating new content and coming up with new ideas, which might not leave them with enough time to ban cheaters frequently. (this is just a guess)
    If the devs don't have the time to deal with cheaters on a regular basis, maybe we need a community volunteer or a moderator who has the time to do so. (I would volunteer, but I'm just some random player with lots of free time, so I doubt I would qualify for the position)