• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Other Lab Fortress Mode that gives Alt Colors

Like the idea?

• Total voters

NamelesstheBeardless

Reaction score
I've been thinking of ways to make Skullgirls Mobile last longer community wise, because I love this series and want it to succeed in many ways. This is only a hypothetical game mode that helps me also address some of my current problems with the game.

tl;dr (yeah at the beginning lol)
-Have a mode that lets you use many fighters at once/have an emphasis on the quantity that you have
-Let it be the main method of obtaining alternate skins that are from the original game or new to put on your characters, as something to work for post game
-Connect players of the game + Put emphasis on how it's YOUR unique game with customization

LAB FORTRESS 2
Problem- Skullgirls Mobile has an imbalance of quantity vs. quality. I only care about the first 10% of my collection of characters and if you took away the other 90% I mostly wouldn't mind because they don't matter. Quantity is mildly convenient but it is never really truly useful, despite the 200 fighters you can own.

Method- Implement a mode where you fortify a base (or bases) with the massive wall of fighters you have. The more fighters you have the more it's fortified. The quality of the fighters does help up the defense of the base but the more important aspect is on how many you can stuff into one.

Other players may attack you fortress, and the specifics on how that should be balanced would be up to the mobile team. (Like what determines a fortress being completely invaded, if it has health or a minimum amount of times invaded, how to invade, if fighters put into your fortress are out of being used anywhere else making you have to decide on your choices, etc.)

Right now for simplicity's sake I like the idea of choosing three fighters and having them locked to fight against the entire fortress in one go, keeping health the same fight to fight. You have to be careful to conserve your health and maybe a health restore down the line. Kind of like the Kirby arena modes you get what I'm saying? Also they can "stand back up" where they left off when they lost with a theonite purchase that gets higher every time, cause free to play lol

Goal- Make it feel like the player truly has an army of Skullgirls fighters in their pocket, and every new fighter you get is useful in one way or another. Another mode to mess around with.

EXPERIMENT TO WIN AESTHETICALLY
Problem- I like a lot of the original Skullgirls alternate color palettes, and even the original colors. When I looked at Squiggly I felt bad cause I liked Squiggly's original a lot but I knew it'd be designated to a bronze character when she gets in the game. Despite one's best efforts there's no reasonable way 25 different versions of a character with unique abilities next to other 25 versions of another character will be able to work.

Also, when I have two fighters of the same version of a character, but with different moves or stats (or even the same moves but put into different slots), I get confused as to which one is which half of the time. Having some visual indication to which is which that I can implement would be much appreciated.

Method- Implement a system that allows you to put a new color palette on one of your pre-existing fighters. This is the "lab" part of your fortress, you're defending your right to experiment for new colors (or if the mobile team feels like it more gold and theonite, their choice). The new colors can be right next to the moves in the collection section and a little button can be put into an individual fighter's bio that lets you change their color.

In Lab Fortress mode after you fortify it you go into your lab, and decide what you'll be experimenting on or what you got if you finished an experiment. To keep the nature of the free-to-play game in check I'd expect randomness behind these but to a somewhat more limited degree. I'll give how I'd implement it:

You only get one per experiment. The colors you get are random, but you can choose which character to focus on when you're experimenting. After you get a color, you can choose between three options: let it be possible in the character experiment pool like normal, X it out so the next experiment doesn't replicate it, or put a green O around it so the next experiment produces it no question. (So instead of a pool of 25 colors again you narrow it down to 24, then 23, etc. etc.) Once all original 25 colors are unlocked (26 for Big Band) maybe you can get the dummy colors as the "Mobile Exclusive" colors or something as an extra reward. Or just make more new colors I won't judge.

This way while a player most likely won't get the exact skin they want, there will be a 100% guarantee that if they work hard enough towards it they should get it. And again there is only 1 produced every experiment that you can apply to a character anyway, so there shouldn't be any big roadblocks that will discourage players.

While possibly confusing in game, as long as the skins are implemented correctly they could work. The easiest method to this would be to keep character icons the exact same even if they have a different palette. In PF mode this will mean it will be practically unchanged in choosing who you're going up against. I still know that the Harlequin Cerebella is the Harlequin Cerebella. And in game the icon in the top right is still the same, and all their allies are still those colors in tag in icons. It would be nice if the cards for said fighters changed colors though just to make that simple when choosing them.

Goal- This lets the original colors of the game be implemented while also giving me a long time goal to work towards in the game once story mode is done. Also look I really really want the Jotaro Big Band color I still have the Mac computer I can't play Skullgirls please let me-

OH YEAH I'M TECHNICALLY A PART OF THIS UNIVERSE
Problem- After the story mode I forgot that I'm some person running around with a bunch of alternate reality versions of people. Also I feel a little isolated with the game, as there's little interaction with other users.

Method- As stated in Skullgirls lore, the original labs 0-8 have mostly been shut down. Only 0 and 8 are still operating. Parasoul can give you a lab or more (maybe after your success with story mode idk) as a gift. All I ask here is for there to be references that you as a character are the one in charge of the lab (or labs, since 1 through 7 are caput).

The labs should overall be a push to make your game custom to you. You can name the lab, put whoever you want to defend it, maybe even have a different character by your side as you experiment if you want. That's why you're experimenting for skins, it makes your fighters feel more like your own and not just like the ones you keep seeing in PF. PF is nice but being able to go to a fortress made by another player will most likely be a unique experience, and keep the game varied.

Also I didn't mention this in the colors section but I'd maybe let a player buy a skin permanently with theonite, cause if they want a fortress filled with nothing but Ghost Squiggly's and call it "The Spook Shack" well hey might as well make it a little easier

Goal- Make the game feel like a unique and fun experience because of the player's choices, based on how they customize their collection of characters

Again I don't expect this to ever be implemented, it was an easy way to note most of my current problems with the game. I hope this helped address some issues in unique ways that gets the team thinking about ways to make the game even better than it already is

If anyone would like to add onto this or want a clarification or just plain explain why my idea is **** well... that's why we got this thread after all! hahaaa

Last edited:
Reactions: Shawesome
ALSO SIDE UPDATE POSSIBILITY TO THIS:
Backpack expander that gives you more space for more moves. If you're going to have so many characters defending a fortress I imagine you'll want them stocked up on special moves and blockbusters. Purchasable with theonite I imagine.

There's little reason to get the move relics so imagine this mode would help give more reason to it

Deepest apologies to those who were colorblind! I edited the first post and will make sure to not repeat the mistake again.