• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

This game is brutally unfair/difficult

Mmmno

Reaction score
So this is a mobile fighting game which means you basically tap or swipe on your phone. Ok got it. To progress you have to "level up" characters since actual skill is pretty much 8% of the game. Ok no problem. So you get your bronze fighters and start playing story. Then you get to the first big boss, the peacock on Who's the Boss and she just one-shots you. So now what? You need to level up. Where? Replaying a story mission nets a measly 20 Xp and like 60 gold. You need like 8,000 gold to unlock the next upgrade so I guess that means you're just supposed to grind out fights for like weeks and weeks until you can level up? Or what? I'm really at a loss as to what you're supposed to do here and why this game hit such a massive skill wall so soon. Why does the AI get to interrupt your moves? Why does the AI get to switch characters in the middle of your blockbuster causing it to miss? Why is the AI able to block in the middle of your combos? Why can't you do any of this? I'm trying to like this game because the art style is nice but honestly this feels broken or p2w at best. Injustice doesn't feel this way. So what do I do now? Oh and earring a new fighter ( even with the super skimpy rewards to buy new shrines) what's the point because they're level 1 and I'll never be able grind them out to match others. This is just so annoying.

two words: Prize Fights.

Also do daily events for the 100 gem "Premiere Relic".

You cannot advance far in story mode without your first silver. And getting your first silver means you need gems, which you should have quite a bit progressing through story mode.

Hint: You can get ~60 gems daily just by doing quests.

Reactions: Papyrus1910
I think the game could use more systems to better ease a player into the game but skill is far, far more than just 8% of the game. It's very possible to win a fight with barely a scratch and vice versa. Like Osterus suggests, most of your time should be spent in Prize Fights which is the "competitive" (AI controlled enemies still) mode. A nifty tip is to bring a single strong fighter and 2 other weaker ones since the matchmaking is based on your team strength. This is also an easy way to level up newly obtained characters.

In regards to the AI, they shouldn't be able to do too much that you yourself can't do. If they are blocking and dodging moves they shouldn't, it's more likely you're doing something wrong instead. If they block mid combo, you're either not hitting fast enough (there's a very small window between a ground combo and a launcher) or you're trying to use moves that don't combo into each other.

Another suggestion is to practice using Big Band and Peacock the most. I feel like these 2 are the strongest characters, at least for starting out. Be sure to unlock their respective character trait (not signature) which let's Big Band be uninterrupted during his Dash Attack (incredibly useful) and Peacock to enter a hole in the ground to dodge. (also very useful against dumber AIs)

I think the game could do a better job of easing you in, for sure, but I'll tell you right now: once you know your way around the game, you can frequently beat teams with 3x your Fighter Score if you play well.

You can do Daily Events and Prize Fights to grind. But for the story mode? You shouldn't need to grind to get to the end of each story path... as long as you don't try to complete the whole map at once.

Also, the AI shouldn't be able to block in the middle of your combos unless you've spaced them badly or been tapping too slow.

Here are some tips?
  • You aren't supposed to spend money on every node for every one of your characters. Focus on building up a team of 3 good Bronze until you have silvers. Focus on getting a 5-part ground combo and an aerial finisher (they're the blue nodes up from the center). Then, get an extra special slot maybe. The stat increasing nodes are too slight in effect to invest in early, and the energy increasing nodes aren't that useful.
  • You can use specials with persistent/frequent hitboxes (like Big Band's Blockbuster where he shoots forward in the air with a tuba) to hit enemies as they get back up/enter the screen after another gets KO'd.
  • Specials and blockbusters that do persistent attacks along the floor can often make a combo after an air combo as they fall to the ground
  • You can USUALLY get a free swipe-down attack at the beginning of every fight against the AI
  • The timing for chaining different specials and blockbusters into combos... is different. You might have to experiment with some. Here are a few easy ones:
    • LITERALLY EVERY CHARACTER: full ground combo, uppercut, full aerial combo, swipe-down attack
    • Big Band: full ground combo, uppercut, full aerial combo, tuba-in-the-air blockbuster... sometimes you can follow this up with another air combo if they get bounced against a wall and you time it juuust right. In most cases, swipe-down attack if in range.
    • Peacock: full ground combo, George's Day Out, full ground combo, George's Day Out... I think you can do this up to 3 or 4 times, but you'll probably kill most characters before you can get there. George's Day Out is VERY strong.
  • The timing windows can be pretty strict. If you want to use a special or blockbuster after an attack, you should be mashing its button WHILE mashing the screen to get the last hit in before the special.

To expand on the Big Band combo my bread and butter while I was starting was.

Ground combo, launcher, Cymbal Clash (tambourine super), Super-Sonic Jazz (charging tuba super). This would do a pretty good amount of damage.

If you get them in the corner (or close enough) they will bounce at you after the air combo and you can fit in the BlockBuster moves. I also have no idea why but occasionally you can land a sweep attack after this but a lot of the time you don't. vOv

In the corner: Ground combo, launcher, air combo, Cymbal Clash, Super-Sonic Jazz.

Ya just gotta combo and block... I've got only bronzes but am at the final chapter of story. :D

I would recommend getting Headstrong Cerrabella to level 30 bronze, she's got a score of 1'000 and her skills can go past a block. She is a damage type and can beat a silver easily. As long as you have a team which can assist her you should be good to go.

Doing the daily quests is a good way to gain xp and move sets. Very easy to get through and worth it when it's the character you need. Always return daily to get as much as possible done.

Prize Fights + Daily Events.

If/when you hit a wall in Story Mode transition into those other modes, as both provide significant exp. Prize Fights match you up against teams at roughly your level to start, and as you progress and gain higher win streaks you face more difficult opponents which is worth bonus underdog exp. There's a prize fight for every tier, bronze/silver/gold, and hitting milestones earns you specific rewards like canopy coins which will help you progress in your skill tree. Daily Events tend to focus on and offer rewards for a specific character, but it plays similar to story mode. There's basic/advanced/expert and you gain rewards just like in story, except it resets itself every single day.

Some of what you might be experiencing are special traits certain characters have. Big Band can dash through attacks, for example. He still takes normal damage, but can't be interrupted. My best suggestion would be to take whatever character is your main and practice your combos in training and see when/how they can link with your special moves and blockbusters. You may have underestimated the skill required. Everyone more or less has the same basic combo/launcher/air combo, but not everyone has the same links when it comes to certain specials and blockbusters. You have to experiment to see how everything works in tandem, which is one of the strategic challenges of the game.

Appreciate the advice, but it still seems like the AI is able to do things I cannot. I'll often find myself mashing the blockbuster button in an effort to get it off at a crucial moment but it wont trigger until the AI is able to position themself out of it's effect range. Or I will get the animation to begin, and the AI will switch fighters and it will then whiff on the dead space.

Not sure hoe the blocking works still either because I seem to need to start the block FIRST, and let the animation finish, or I'll be stuck in a combo, but the AI seems to be able to block instantly without needing that animation period before it take effect. Whatever. I guess I didn't level up my characters correctly because I tried to balance their leveling around moves, HP, STR, etc. and didn't notice there was specific combo points I should have aimed for. Probably something the game could have explained before locking me off from all of materials needed to level again. Now I'm out of gold and can't earn any in the Prize Fight mode which only rewards Xp and a piddly amount of gold/gems after what, 6 - 7 victories? It's just really, really stingy with rewards for a new game. Thinking to Injustice or games like Gwent where you are earning big rewards daily. Likewise not getting XP after a loss means when I do the Prize Fights and the AI is able to trounce me 3 or 4 times in a row that means I just payed for like 40 minutes and got jack ****. That's a big put off. I can't do daily events because you're locked out until you beat Whos the Boss, so I guess I just need to grind out the awful Prize Fights for the next two or three months? Blegh. Not really an enticing offer to keep playing.

Not gaining XP from losses really blows, especially with that story XP redcution.

Also, I think you block as soon as the input registers, throughout the whole blocking animation. Your inputs might lag/drop noticeably of performance is bad. Computers just have really good reaction time.

You should be able to hold the block input during am attack animation to start blocking as soon as possible.

Play prize fights, get your silvers, play events to level up and get moves/skill points. The gold from prize fight and events are enough to sustain character growths.

I find a good tactic is to start a combo (usually with a dash) watch for the first hit and see if its blocked, if not continue the combo into a juggle then low hit. If the first hit is blocked, immediately stop the combo and do a throw. If you have a blockbuster ready only use it if the AI doesn't block the first hit. I'm still quite new to the game but find these tactics generally reliable.

I think the game could do a better job of easing you in, for sure, but I'll tell you right now: once you know your way around the game, you can frequently beat teams with 3x your Fighter Score if you play well.

You can do Daily Events and Prize Fights to grind. But for the story mode? You shouldn't need to grind to get to the end of each story path... as long as you don't try to complete the whole map at once.

Also, the AI shouldn't be able to block in the middle of your combos unless you've spaced them badly or been tapping too slow.

Here are some tips?
  • You aren't supposed to spend money on every node for every one of your characters. Focus on building up a team of 3 good Bronze until you have silvers. Focus on getting a 5-part ground combo and an aerial finisher (they're the blue nodes up from the center). Then, get an extra special slot maybe. The stat increasing nodes are too slight in effect to invest in early, and the energy increasing nodes aren't that useful.
  • You can use specials with persistent/frequent hitboxes (like Big Band's Blockbuster where he shoots forward in the air with a tuba) to hit enemies as they get back up/enter the screen after another gets KO'd.
  • Specials and blockbusters that do persistent attacks along the floor can often make a combo after an air combo as they fall to the ground
  • You can USUALLY get a free swipe-down attack at the beginning of every fight against the AI
  • The timing for chaining different specials and blockbusters into combos... is different. You might have to experiment with some. Here are a few easy ones:
    • LITERALLY EVERY CHARACTER: full ground combo, uppercut, full aerial combo, swipe-down attack
    • Big Band: full ground combo, uppercut, full aerial combo, tuba-in-the-air blockbuster... sometimes you can follow this up with another air combo if they get bounced against a wall and you time it juuust right. In most cases, swipe-down attack if in range.
    • Peacock: full ground combo, George's Day Out, full ground combo, George's Day Out... I think you can do this up to 3 or 4 times, but you'll probably kill most characters before you can get there. George's Day Out is VERY strong.
  • The timing windows can be pretty strict. If you want to use a special or blockbuster after an attack, you should be mashing its button WHILE mashing the screen to get the last hit in before the special.
And when you finally have diamond fighters, you can't use them in the master level. To make it even worse, it's impossible to level up the diamond characters. It's to fucking expensive. **** this game and the creators. Shove those money up your assholes.

And when you finally have diamond fighters, you can't use them in the master level. To make it even worse, it's impossible to level up the diamond characters. It's to fucking expensive. **** this game and the creators. Shove those money up your assholes.
Are we playing the same game? Because you can level up diamonds. Granted the keys are a problem to get by and could get s rework.

Master levels are for testing our skills, that's why Diamonds are restricted on *SOME* parts but not the whole story mode, of he challenges is to test the player strategies and how to act when out of their comfort zone.

Also I'm almost a year into the game and haven't spent a single dime and I'm at a very high level, if you have chat unlocked you can ask for tips on some of the channels, or better yet use the video guide that's in the options menu and learn most of the basic things you need to know.

Last edited:
Appreciate the advice, but it still seems like the AI is able to do things I cannot. I'll often find myself mashing the blockbuster button in an effort to get it off at a crucial moment but it wont trigger until the AI is able to position themself out of it's effect range. Or I will get the animation to begin, and the AI will switch fighters and it will then whiff on the dead space.

Not sure hoe the blocking works still either because I seem to need to start the block FIRST, and let the animation finish, or I'll be stuck in a combo, but the AI seems to be able to block instantly without needing that animation period before it take effect. Whatever. I guess I didn't level up my characters correctly because I tried to balance their leveling around moves, HP, STR, etc. and didn't notice there was specific combo points I should have aimed for. Probably something the game could have explained before locking me off from all of materials needed to level again. Now I'm out of gold and can't earn any in the Prize Fight mode which only rewards Xp and a piddly amount of gold/gems after what, 6 - 7 victories? It's just really, really stingy with rewards for a new game. Thinking to Injustice or games like Gwent where you are earning big rewards daily. Likewise not getting XP after a loss means when I do the Prize Fights and the AI is able to trounce me 3 or 4 times in a row that means I just payed for like 40 minutes and got jack ****. That's a big put off. I can't do daily events because you're locked out until you beat Whos the Boss, so I guess I just need to grind out the awful Prize Fights for the next two or three months? Blegh. Not really an enticing offer to keep playing.
I would recommend you to check the video guide on the options menu, it has all several tips and guides for early beggining player. Also you don't have to max every fighter you get immediately; basically you need a strong fighter, a support and a DOT type one also check their SA and see which one suits you better. Ground and Aerial combos are a must if you want longer combos, you can also unlock attack and health skill branches over time to make your fighters hit harder and receive less damage, use the daily login bonus rewards wisely to maximize your roster, getting friends and exchange gifts can also give you some resources, also if you get an XP booster don't be afraid to use it on any mode you play (story/pf) because it will speed up the levelling up process.

Lastly by getting 25 fighters of any tier you get a relic of the following tier (25 bronzes gives you a Silver relic, 25 Silvers give you a Gold and so on); Also when your bronzes hit Lv30 they can be evolved into Silver which increases their stats, so keep an out for that.

Hope it helps with your progression.