• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Quote Refrences Disscusion

rexturtle1120

Reaction score
Hey what’s up! So I was reading some of the quotes on my fighters charecter cards and if you don’t alreay know, most of the quotes are refrences to a variety of media other than Skullgirls. Since I think this is cool and it would be nice to know where exactly all these quotes originated from, I’ve created this post.

Windswept Fillias quote “Dodge duck dip dive and.... dodge” comes from the movie Dodgeball: A true underdog story, from the scene where they’re explaining how to play dodgeball. Perhaps this quote was chosen because you have to evade the dodgeball just like Windswept has to evade projectiles.

The Purrfect Dark Ms.Fourtune’s quote “I’m not superstitious but I am a little stitious” comes from an episode in season 4 or 5 from the U.S. version of the office. It is said by Michael Gary Scott AKA the boss.

Although many variations do have references to them, some have no correlation to the actual variant. Take Oh Mai for an example. Although the quote is obviously playing on the lyrics of Stronger by Kelly Clarkson, it doesn't have any relation to the Fatal Fury female, Mai Shiranui. There are even more variants that are somewhat referencing a totally different media from the actual variant like said Purrfect Dark. (andResonantEvilcough)

Last edited:
Flytrap's quote is "Feed me, Seymour" from the movie Little Shop of Horrors which is also a reference to the actual character Audrey which is a flytrap

Immoral Fiber's quote is "Fear is freedom, Subjugation is liberation" which is a reference to 1984 and its use of "doublethink" (another ref I guess)

Immoral Fiber's quote is "Fear is freedom, Subjugation is liberation" which is a reference to 1984 and its use of "doublethink" (another ref I guess)
Very nice! I love 1984 and distopic future movies/books/games in general.

I also love Dreadlocks quote "Hit me baby one more time" who is actually from Britney Spears song ".. baby one more time" and the fact that if we hit Dreadlocks, we get a hard time. :D

Immoral Fiber Double - "Fear is freedom! Subjugation is liberation!"
Does sound very 1984, but it more of a direct reference to where the palette comes from, Kill la Kill (specifically to Life Fibers, sentient parasitic organisms of extraterrestrial origin). The full quote even hints at another Orwell work (Animal Farm):
"Fear is freedom! Subjugation is liberation! Contradiction is truth! Those are the facts of this world. And you will all surrender to them, you pigs in human clothing!" - Satsuki Kiryuin

Since we are on the topic of anime, here are a couple easy JoJo references:

Stand Out Eliza - "How many breads have you eaten in your life?"
From the first arc of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Phantom Blood, Zeppeli accuses the vampiric Dio "How many lives have you sucked away to heal those wounds?"
To which Dio, ever the impudent bastard, responds, "How many breads have you eaten in your life?"

Heavy Metal Big Band - "ORAORAORA!"
The palette is based on Jotaro Kujo's Stand, Star Platinum. From the Stardust Crusaders arc of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, "ORAORAORA!" is the sound Star Platinum makes when he pummels foes. The taunt's closest equivalent in English is “come on!"​

For more fighter quotes, this site has them all (spaced out since saying dot com is not allowed): https:// sgm. netlify. com/

The Robo-Fortune hype is skyrocketing like an exploding headrone, so let's try to figure out where the variant quotes come from. Some I'm not sure of, so I've included a confidence meter on each. Please chime-in with any details to add.

Prototype Robo-Fortune (B)
QUOTE: "The future is meow."
ORIGIN: cat pun on the early 20th century phrase "The future is now"
SURE: Maybe

M-3OW Robo-Fortune (B)
QUOTE: "The chances of your survival are 725... to 1."
ORIGIN: Possible twist on the quote from Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
C-3PO: Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field is approximately 3,720 to 1.
Han Solo: Never tell me the odds.
But what is is the significance of 725?

Nyanotech Robo-Fortune (S)
QUOTE: "Heavy paws of lead, fills her victims full of dread."
ORIGIN: Tweaked lyrics from Black Sabbath's Iron Man (1970)
Heavy boots of lead
Fills his victims full of dread
Running as fast as they can
Iron man lives again
SURE: Definite

Purrminator Robo-Fortune (S)
QUOTE: "My CPU is a neural net processor; a learning computer."
ORIGIN: direct quote from T-800 in Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
John: Can you learn stuff that you haven't been programmed with? So you can be, you know, more human, and not such a dork all the time?
Terminator: My CPU is a neural-net processor. A learning computer. But Skynet presets the switch to read-only when we're sent out alone.
Sarah: Doesn't want you to do too much thinking, huh?
Terminator: No.
SURE: Definite

Terror Byte Robo-Fortune (G)
QUOTE: "117 Threats Detected! Download Brain Drain anti-virus software now!"
ORIGIN: Robo-Fortune's creator, Brain Drain, pushing anti-virus software
SURE: Just Guessing

Blue Screen Robo-Fortune (G)
QUOTE: "Stop code: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED"
ORIGIN: Ties into variant name, a reference to the infamous Blue Screen of Death for Microsoft Windows. A stop code displayed for a fatal system error.

Head Hunter Robo-Fortune (G)
QUOTE: "Power suits me."
ORIGIN: pun referring to the Super Metroid armor, the basis for the palette. The Chozo-designed "Power Suit" is short for powered armorsuit.

Overclocked Robo-Fortune (D)
QUOTE: "Initiating protocol L14M. Commencing aggressive SMTP handshake."
ORIGIN: Hidden Variable in-joke referring to player/developer Liam's preferred palette (example). Not sure about the email (SMTP) or handshake connection. "LIAM" spelled backwards is "MAIL"

Terror Byte Robo-Fortune (G)
QUOTE: "117 Threats Detected! Download Brain Drain anti-virus software now!"
ORIGIN: Robo-Fortune's creator, Brain Drain, pushing anti-virus software

There's a pop-up ad that has nearly this exact wording. I'm not sure which one, but I'm sure not going to go look for it ;)

Overclocked Robo-Fortune (D)
QUOTE: "Initiating protocol L14M. Commencing aggressive SMTP handshake."
ORIGIN: Hidden Variable in-joke referring to player/developer Liam's preferred palette (example). Not sure about the email (SMTP) or handshake connection. "LIAM" spelled backwards is "MAIL"

Nothing solid on this one, but I guess a "handshake" was part of the original dial-up connection, and I definitely think Robo-Fortune's Magnetic Trap blockbuster could be considered a very aggressive handshake.

Kill Joy’s quote, “It’s you and me, I know it’s my destiny!” is taken directly from the original Pokemon theme.
Untouchable’s quote, “Leave the gun, take the cannoli.” is from the movie “The Godfather”.
Dream Band’s quote, “Stop. Hammer time.” is from the song “U Can’t Touch This” by MC Hammer. It also reference’s the fact King Dedede (the character the palette is based off of) uses a hammer as his main weapon.
Ms Trial’s quote, “I hope you prepared a strong defense.”, references the fact that She-Hulk (her palette’s origin) is a lawyer. This is also referenced in her name and SA.

Quote Origins: Filia Edition
A crazy mix of lyrics, pop culture, and movie quotes. Learned some hidden references, but also became more confused on some (I gave up on 3 of them).

BRONZE
Bad Hair Day Filia - "Let's cut to the chase!"
ORIGIN: Idiom urging to get to the point, passing any preamble. First appearance of the phrase attributed to 1929. Apparently comes from the early film era where chase scenes were the core of the films.

Frayed Ends Filia - "Now the candle burns at both ends."
ORIGIN: Lyrics from "The Frayed Ends of Sanity" by Metallica
Struggle within
Triggered again
Now the candle burns at both ends

SILVER
Bad Ms Frosty Filia - "Alright, everyone! Chill!"
ORIGIN: Movie quote from Batman & Robin (1997). One of many unbearably-corny cold puns from Mr. Freeze

Hair Apparent Filia - "I love group projects!"
ORIGIN: No clue! Any ideas?

Rock Star Filia - "???"
ORIGIN: Probably will be some Steven Universe quote/reference

GOLD
Parasite Weave Filia - "Pop quiz, hotshot!"
ORIGIN: Movie quote from Speed (1994).
Payne: Pop quiz, hotshot. There's a bomb on a bus. Once the bus goes 50 miles an hour, the bomb is armed. If it drops below 50, it blows up. What do you do? What do you do?

Dread Locks Filia - "Hit me baby, one more time."
ORIGIN: Lyrics from "...Baby One More Time" by Britney Spears
When I'm not with you I lose my mind
Give me a sign
Hit me, baby, one more time

Windswept Filia - "Dodge, duck, dip, dive, and... dodge."
ORIGIN: Movie quote from Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004)
Patches O'Houlihan: If you're going to become true dodgeballers, then you've got to learn the five d's of dodgeball: dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge!

Idol Threat Filia - "My fans make me virtually unstoppable!"
ORIGIN: Unknown. Perhaps some kind of reference to the Vocaloid moe anthropomorph mascot, Hatsune Miku the palette is based on? A virtual performer?

DIAMOND
Class Cutter Filia - "I'm just going to take a little off the top."
ORIGIN: Don't know. Just some barber cliche?

Djinn Fizz Filia - "Genie, meeny, miny, moe."
ORIGIN: Genie pun twist on children's counting rhyme "eeny, meeny, miny, moe." This rhyme, and similar-sounding nonsense syllables, exists in multiple languages and has existed well before 1820.

Lapis Luxury Eliza - "I'm done being everyone's prisoner! Now you're MY prisoner! And I'm never letting you go!"
Origin: Quote said by Malachite (technically Lapis speaking through Malachite) from Steven Universe season 1 episode 52. Honestly, they could have chosen a better and shorter quote for her. This one is alright. At least it is a quote directly from Steven Universe.

Summer Salt Parasoul - "I always have ice cream when I'm having a bad day."
Origin: Quote said by Umbrella from the infamous webcomic made by kata-009 on Tumblr. Gotta love the memes.

Freeze Frame Peacock - "I'm the strongest!"
Origin: Quote said by Cirno in Touhou 9: Phantasmagoria of Flower View. I mean, what else could they have chosen besides this?

Pyro-Technique Valentine - "A tale of souls and swords, eternally retold."
Origin: Quote said by the announcer/narrator in every Soulcalibur game. I honestly thought that they were gonna pick one of Taki's quote, but I was really glad they chose this one instead. Ah, the nostalgia.

Regally Blonde Parasoul - "The cold never bothered me anyway."
Origin: One of the lyrics from "Let it Go" by Idina Menzel. I find this one to be quite funny and a bit fitting, even if the quote does not have any relation to the variant itself.

Lapis Luxury Eliza - "I'm done being everyone's prisoner! Now you're MY prisoner! And I'm never letting you go!"
Origin: Quote said by Malachite (technically Lapis speaking through Malachite) from Steven Universe season 1 episode 52. Honestly, they could have chosen a better and shorter quote for her. This one is alright. At least it is a quote directly from Steven Universe.

I think the quote is a reasonably good description of Eliza's arc in the original skullgirls, going from the Medicis trying to use her as a pawn to her being a collector of people in her way.

woow, that's the whole database with all the quotes from the characters. To tell you the truth, citing is one of my hobbies, I tend to write down every quote I like. Every discussion with me means that you will hear at least one quote from my favorite movie or book.
I can't form my own thought in a beautiful way, unfortunately, however I have really interesting thoughts, I just need a quotIdea to stay inspired.
I actually tried to read many books, considering the fact that I'm a real bookworm- it's not that hard to enlarge my vocabulary, however it's all turned out to be a waste of time, I can't create beautiful inspiring quotes:(

Last edited: