• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Special Costumes

BrolaireOfAsstora

Reaction score
I was reminiscing about the maybe 3 weeks I played heroes and I remembered the special costumes you could get for certain characters during events. Do you think SG could implement that well, as in a Christmas Val or holiday themes for the other characters?

Not with 2D animation. They'd have to redraw every single frame.

Not like that, I mean just changing their colors to go with the event.
They'd still have to recolour every frame...and it's not as simple as clicking the paint bucket button. You need to shade and have highlights as well. It would take so long to do and then you have to download all the data...it'd be cool, yes, but not a good to do in the long run.

They'd still have to recolour every frame...and it's not as simple as clicking the paint bucket button. You need to shade and have highlights as well. It would take so long to do and then you have to download all the data...it'd be cool, yes, but not a good to do in the long run.
Normally you'd be right, but if I understand it correctly the original Skullgirls actually worked out a system to assign colors to specific body parts (Basically it's like a paint by numbers where you just assign a number over sections of the sprite). In fact, one of the Double colors made use of this to have a constantly shifting color palette that slowly fades into other colors over time.

So in just this one instance, it really is as simple as "swap some colors around" assuming they can just change the color codes of an existing skin.

I was assuming that the main extra collectible the game was eventually going to offer was the original other palette colors of the 25 the main game had anyway, and maybe some mobile exclusive colors too cause u know. So I'd think it'd fit :^o

Maybe they can do a TF2 and some special moves or blockbusters you get have special hit animations. Like uh... dang I can't think of the term but it's like that flash when a move make contacts with another fighter, hmm... Like you could make that snowflakes or somethin

Tho this made me think of Valentine's Dead on Arrival having a Pumpkin instead of the Skull for the animation haha

If we're just talking about adding more palette swaps, that's an age old technique that's pretty simple to do. SG does some nifty tricks to make it even easier by splitting each sprite into three layers: color regions, outline, and shading. Each palette defines how the color regions should be painted, and then that's combined with the other layers. This is all done at runtime, they don't need to paint each sprite by hand and save them all separately like you're thinking, it only takes a few dozen bytes of palette data for everything.

Besides, the original game already has 25 palettes per character, so even if making new palettes was that difficult they wouldn't need to worry about it any time soon.

I feel that it would be unlikely for the game to implement alternative colors because the color palette is the primary way for us to recognize what character skills the opponent has. It would be very confusing to know what kind of skills the opponent has if many different colors were introduced.

I feel that it would be unlikely for the game to implement alternative colors because the color palette is the primary way for us to recognize what character skills the opponent has. It would be very confusing to know what kind of skills the opponent has if many different colors were introduced.
I think as long as you implemented a good visual indicator that shows that this is *THAT* "character" I think it could work

Like, say while the colors to your character changes, the actual icon stays stagnant to the original colors. This would be good for PF mode where you're picking out who you want to face against so other players can't trick you. And while you're fighting them they'll still have the original color icon for them in the top right. (Also I made sure to check but just in case the pause screen does give you enough room to see each side's icon. I sometimes do this anyway just cause I forget a character's abilities lol)

Personally I want colors because they would help personalize my characters, I remember when I didn't have the exact same moves available for the two Epic Sax's I got (I like to do a "twinsies" thing with some cards lol) I would forget which one I was choosing over which (which had the BB3 and which didn't blah blah blah) but if I gave them separate colors I could've gone "Oh, this is the Jotaro epic sax big band he's got the BB3"

I was thinking of a system to implement alternate colors into the game and was gonna put it into the suggestion section if you wanna talk about it more

Reactions: BrolaireOfAsstora
While all of your guy's ideas and thoughts are great, I actually meant creating new cards for the specific characters, similar to FE: Heroes. Would that be more difficult, or less? The game needs more content to keep it alive, and throwing in a few holiday characters wouldn't be a bad idea.

Ah gotcha. Yeah I see what you mean.

I think it's only difficult depending to the team's mentality on how they want to balance the game. Do they want to do that less characters easier to balance kinda deal where less variants keeps the characters more unique or do we actually care if the game kinda has a ton of similar but vaguely different characters.

Although now I'm thinking of a Painwheel with a pumpkin face and I'd really like that lmao

Reactions: BrolaireOfAsstora
Ah gotcha. Yeah I see what you mean.

I think it's only difficult depending to the team's mentality on how they want to balance the game. Do they want to do that less characters easier to balance kinda deal where less variants keeps the characters more unique or do we actually care if the game kinda has a ton of similar but vaguely different characters.

Although now I'm thinking of a Painwheel with a pumpkin face and I'd really like that lmao
That'd be awesome, holy cow.
But for balancing, I think it would be kind of easy to simply give the characters okay stats, but a good ability to go with the holiday, like pinwheel having an ability to gain Regen for 3 seconds when using a special ability.

That'd be awesome, holy cow.
But for balancing, I think it would be kind of easy to simply give the characters okay stats, but a good ability to go with the holiday, like pinwheel having an ability to gain Regen for 3 seconds when using a special ability.
Yeah, they gotta make sure they got a good name for it tho
Pumpkin Painwheel, Special Ability: Tricker Treat: Gain regen for 3 seconds when using a special ability, and put a random negative effect on opponent when you use a special ability

Eh, it's not like anything in this game is balanced anyway, nothing could possibly be more broken than Untouchable or Resonant Evil.

Eh, it's not like anything in this game is balanced anyway, nothing could possibly be more broken than Untouchable or Resonant Evil.
Untouchable is pretty bad compared to armed forces, or at least for me. Idk, RNG kinda screws me over in this game.
Yeah, they gotta make sure they got a good name for it tho
Pumpkin Painwheel, Special Ability: Tricker Treat: Gain regen for 3 seconds when using a special ability, and put a random negative effect on opponent when you use a special ability
That'd be cool, or maybe a painwheel with a sheet over her head thanks to Brain Drain and Valentine goofing her. She would be a water type, and the card would be called ecto cooler. Her ability would be slimer, which would grant a chance to stop opponents bbs. Upgrading it would grant the addition of disabling them as well.

Being able to just escape most combos for free (and sometimes even punish) is pretty stupidly busted, and has no real counterplay either. It also heavily skews matchups since characters who rely on multihits are hurt harder than those who can deal more damage in fewer hits.

Being able to just escape most combos for free (and sometimes even punish) is pretty stupidly busted, and has no real counterplay either. It also heavily skews matchups since characters who rely on multihits are hurt harder than those who can deal more damage in fewer hits.
It's busted, but that's why you rely on a) Big Band, and b) the low chance of getting it. Most untouchables I fight don't have the unflinching perk, and even if it triggers you can still grab, block, and block bust.

It's busted, but that's why you rely on a) Big Band, and b) the low chance of getting it. Most untouchables I fight don't have the unflinching perk, and even if it triggers you can still grab, block, and block bust.
Which is why Armed Forces Cerebella may be the single best character for the AI. Unstoppable on a character that stumbles you on throw break, and has grab specials/BBs? Good lord.

Which is why Armed Forces Cerebella may be the single best character for the AI. Unstoppable on a character that stumbles you on throw break, and has grab specials/BBs? Good lord.
Yeah, Armed forces is pretty broken. If there's a character that DOESNT need a special costume, it's the best girl.