• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Collection Collection Searching Improvements

Lililira

Reaction score
Each category of the collection has a searching system that works pretty well for most situations, but has some room for improvements.

Fighters
  • Filter non-Favorited fighters: Pretty simple, just a filter that only shows non-Favorited fighters. It would make it a lot easier to keep track of how many evolution fodder you have for everyone who uses the Favorite button to mark the keepers vs the fodder. Right now, there's no really good way to filter out the Favorites from the fodder, since the best way is using the Favorite sort in reverse, but that means the fodder is not sorted by tier, and the high level bronzes are mixed up in the low level silvers and the high level silvers are mixed up among the low level golds. You basically have to count by hand how many fodder of each tier you have per character, which makes keeping track of all the fodder you have for all 15 characters pretty headache inducing.
  • Sort by Skill Tree + Marquee completion: Would make it easier to keep track of which characters you were in the process of upgrading, which can be difficult if you've got a poor memory and a large collection. (Admittedly, I've sometimes lost track of which fighter I've been working on upgrading, so I'm not sure how useful other folks would find it, but I'd certainly use it a lot.)
Moves
  • Filter by Substat, OR vs AND: Substat filters are something we've been wanting for a while, but if they are added I'd like to the the options between an OR option or an AND option be a sub-option controlled by the player.
  • OR Substat option: The OR option would mean that the search would show all the moves that have just *one* of the selected substats (e.g. Crit Resist OR Flat Attack OR Element Bonus). This would be extremely useful for sorting out moves with bad substats for selling.
  • AND Substat option: The AND option would mean that the search would show all the moves that have all the selected substats (e.g Crit Rate AND Crit Damage), or at least moves where all of the substats match the ones selected for AND searches that select more than 3 substats (e.g. when filtering for HP% AND Resistance AND Defense AND Meter Gain, all gold moves shown will only have these substats, like a Resistance / HP% / Meter Gain or a Defense / Meter Gain / Resistance). This would be extremely useful when trying to equip the fighter with the moves with substats that work best for it.
Catalysts
  • Filter by Element OR Character: Currently, the catalysts filters for Element and Character use AND logic, meaning that they don't work together properly, because the filters try and find catalysts that both the element AND fighter selected, which don't exist since catalysts only match element OR fighter, so the search ends up showing nothing. It would be very helpful to switch it to OR logic, so that if someone is trying to build a node around a specific variant they could search by element and character, and the search would show catalysts that would work for either. (e.g. building a Meow n' Forever node and searching for Light and Ms. Fortune would return both Light Weight and Scratching Post in the same search.)
  • Filter by non-character-only catalysts: Pretty simple, we currently have a way to search by character to find catalysts, but no way to search for the catalysts that don't match any character (e.g. a non-character-only Curse of Knowledge that works will all fighters on that node, regardless of character), and currently the only way to find these catalysts in your collection is to comb through the entire collection by hand and try to spot them by eye, which is very tedious.

Last edited:
  • Sort by Skill Tree + Marquee completion: Would make it easier to keep track of which characters you were in the process of upgrading, which can be difficult if you've got a poor memory and a large collection. (Admittedly, I've sometimes lost track of which fighter I've been working on upgrading, so I'm not sure how useful other folks would find it, but I'd certainly use it a lot.)

No, this one is relevant to my interests. And it is already tracked in the character info tab. And sort results will work better if the stat is somewhere on the card in the catalog view. Like, maybe replace the energy with skill tree tracker (and marquee level)? (Dunno why energy is displayed and a sort option in the catalog, as that's only relevant during fights)

Developing a robust data management system for a phone game is just difficult mainly due to the small screen real estate and limited ways to interact with data. Filter and sort only works until there are too many entries and variables.

Not sure if changes to these filters will require a lot of database rework. If it’s at all possible, at the very least I’d love to have an “export” button so the game spits out an excel spreadsheet for the players to manipulate and organize.

A whole different approach would be to allow characters to set rules for automation. For example, automatically sell bronze, silver, and moves with flat stats, etc.

Even better, why not go outside the box and revamp/streamline the whole resources system so we have different means to utilize undesirable resources? Ideas already posted by others are:

- key merging / upgrade
- move tier upgrade / inherent system
- transmute fodders for a random variant, or combine extra fodders for a small chance to get higher tier or shiny version

To both devs and other dedicated players, I challenge you to go outside the existing systems and frameworks (yes, both within the boundaries of this game and conventional game design principles). The sky has no limit for all you creative people out there.

Well, I got some suggestions about how to show marquee and skill tree status without opening the character. It's not that innovative just minimalist style.

Original Card
download (4).png

Style 1:

Why not use the figure encircling the element icon?

IMG-20201222-WA0004.jpg

My editing is not that good so please bear a bit.
The white colour is not white, it's actually transparent or some different colour which will match with the tier or element of the card but not disappear in it. It should be visible clearly but not ugly to look at.
IMG-20201222-WA0007.jpg
That's how it should look at given statuses.

IMG-20201222-WA0006.jpg
And that's how it should look after completing full skill tree and unlocking full level of the chosen marquee ability.

You can also use the the circle encircling the level of the variant.

Style 2:

IMG-20201222-WA0005.jpg

This style will work on gold and diamond tiers only as the others don't have those marked things.
Using the above, what you call it, pillar:p.
It will show skill tree status progressing downwards. While the lower pillar will show marquee status which will progress upwards.
It is limited tier style but it'll surely look good and easily visible.

That's all.
What you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lililira
Yeah, I'm fully aware that some of these would take a lot of time and coding effort to implement, especially the more complex ones like the Move Substats filters. However, one of the main motivators for making this thread was the results of the 2021 roadmap opinion poll that showed that QoL improvements was something that was highly desirable to a large chunk of the userbase, and I think that refining the collection searching options would go a long way towards improving things, even if it does mean the search interface would need some tweaking to better fit them all.

Some of these would definitely be harder to implement than others, to be sure, and while I don't know at all what the code for the search functions look like, I would hope that there would still be a way to implement the most necessary of these search options.

Taking some guesses here, but I'm hoping the 'Filter by non-Favorite Fighters' would be pretty simple, and in some way reuse some of the 'Filter by Favorite' code. I'm *guessing* that whether or not a card is favorited is tracked by a simple Boolean variable, and I would hope things would be as simple as copy-pasting the Favorite filter and choosing the search term from Favorite=True to Favorite=False. Similarly, I'm guessing the variable in Catalysts that tracks which character it's for has some kind of 'none' option for the non-character-specific Catalysts, and I would hope that one would also be easy to implement just by doing another copy-paste with slight tweaks. Again, I don't know what the code looks like behind the scenes, so this might be a bit of over-optimism, but I hope the code for these things is as simple as I think they might be.

For the Move Substat filters, that was mostly just me tossing in my two cents on that whole debate, since it's the number one most requested search option by a wide margin. I'm guessing that if we do get something like that it will be either an AND sort or an OR sort, but it would be nice to have the option for either since they're each better for different situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Art3mes and Dusty00
I'm not sure how much I'm adding to the conversation here, but I think an option to have different coloured hearts would definitely be handy, and fairly simple to implement. I do not think this alone is enough, I feel like this in addition to the extra sort items would work well in tandem with the AND and OR sorting suggested in the posts above (sorting for BLUE and AIR if you want strong defensive air variants for example).

A customisable label would be cool for each coloured heart as well :0

You can have people who want to go with a more aesthetic route (like the Diva example below, matching the colour heart with the element), and you can colour moves with high def as blue, etc. And you can even match the same colour hearts if you have moves that belong to a certain variant you own (like, I can colour both my Buzzkill Painwheel and her moves blue so that when I select moves, I know that's the standard set that I would run normally on that Buzzkill).

The extra colour is also aesthetically pleasing, to me at least haha :)

Examples below (excuse my terrible editing skills :p)

Screenshot_20201224-120944.jpg

Similarly for moves as well:
Screenshot_20201224-121756.jpg