• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Combating/Dealing with Thumb-tip Soreness

Ever had issues with finger/thumb-tip soreness from playing mobile games?

• Total voters
Reaction score
[Please don't bother commenting if your only addition is 'play less' or any variation of that, play time isn't the issue here and even if it were obviously I'm looking for a remedy that doesn't force me to forfeit playing if that's what I want to do.]

So pretty straightforward, do any of you guys struggle with the tips of your thumbs getting sore/raw/sensitive to the touch screen to the point it's uncomfortable or straight up kinda painful to play? The past few days I've experienced quite a sharp spike in the discomfort of my thumbs even when I'm not really engaged in an extended session. My skin is naturally pretty dry, and it's winter here, so I'm not disregarding the impact there- but all things considered I'm inside 99% of the time at this current point in time.
I'd simply put a bandaid or whatnot on it and move on, but obviously there's a unique challenge posed here with it being a touch screen.

I never have really had this issue but with Skullgirls having alot of swipes involved rather than just taps, the friction while minuscule seems to have accumulated rather substantially and made it to where I've had to cut a few sessions short when I still had things I did particularly want to do but simply had to draw the line lest my fingers become so raw that I start bleeding. I'm pretty sure to an extent this is the case because I do various things around the house throughout the day, and at times handle rough objects and/or metal and wood among those things.

The obvious solution I'm already going to try first is moisturizing my hands better- I'm trying baby oil as opposed to simply lotion although Idk whether it's particularly better or worse. Lately my fingertips seem to oftentimes stay perpetually cold-feeling even when the rest of my body feels fine as far as I can discern, and usually it's accompanied by tingling or a mix of numbness to pressure but sensitivity to surface level touch. I want to say it began prior to any possibility of overplay being a factor, as I had been finding it quite painful even just to grip things that were heavier or just not explicitly smooth.

This all could easily be just a result of never keeping my hands moisturized (I hate the sensation of leaving an oily residue on everything I touch and ESPECIALLY the streaks on my screen) due to not enjoying the use of lotion and such. I have a few medical conditions that could be contributing too- but they produce such a wide host of potential symptoms pinning any one symptom to a condition is like playing Clue.

I just wondered if anyone knew of some handy tricks/workarounds/etc., had similar issues, you get the gist. Moments like these make me wish I could play with an external peripheral like my XBONE controller I use for some of my pc games, or even a keyboard. Of course this would more than likely be an issue of being considered unfair advantage so obviously I'm not arguing that it's unfair that I can't or anything- it'd just be nice in a perfect world lol.

Last edited:
My time to shine! Few ways
-buy some expensive(like middle tier brand for females) face miositrising jelly like cream. Not actual cream since you don’t like oil. The jelly creams for girls, especially the ones that advertise things like “extra moist” “water lock”. They are fast absorbing, ultra moist, long lasting, and no oily feel.
-at night. Put suran wrap around your entire hands if just warping your fingers is too much work. Then sleep on it. This ensures your skin will be moist the whole night and prevent further cracks and personal experience sweat is a natural moisturizer. Better yet, put cream on your hands then suran wrap them.
-buy them apple gloves that let you use your phone with glove on.
-vitamin b is great for skin. Try some. But beware viatamin b will accelerate your metabolism and make you hungry more often.

Use any or a combo of the above.

Reactions: NinjaPenguin76
I know this because I got super dry skin. Sigh.
One more thing. Honey. Eat that stuff constantly and for about two month will improve your skins ability to stay moist. But it’s too much dedication for me. Only tried honey once a summer. Results are superb. Skin no crack entire winter. But like I said too much work and too long.

Reactions: NinjaPenguin76
:0
Dang, glad to know not only am I not alone but you're already well equipped with solutions! I moved back into my mom's house after some personal matters transpired and I didn't want her to be alone, and she's got a plethura of creams/lotions/nectar from the tree of life (LOL) in the bathroom cabinet- so much so that I know even she isn't aware of what she does and doesn't have at this point. I'd be like incredibly surprised if I can't find what I'm looking for- thanks for the info! v(。・ω・。)

:0
Dang, glad to know not only am I not alone but you're already well equipped with solutions! I moved back into my mom's house after some personal matters transpired and I didn't want her to be alone, and she's got a plethura of creams/lotions/nectar from the tree of life (LOL) in the bathroom cabinet- so much so that I know even she isn't aware of what she does and doesn't have at this point. I'd be like incredibly surprised if I can't find what I'm looking for- thanks for the info! v(。・ω・。)
No problems. Been fighting my darn dry skin forever. I grew up in the south where humid is the name of the game. Then I moved to the north for collage and work. Oh man.

No problems. Been fighting my darn dry skin forever. I grew up in the south where humid is the name of the game. Then I moved to the north for collage and work. Oh man.
I live in the South myself acutally (=゚▽゚)/
The humidity here wrecks me lol. I enjoy this time of year more than summer- I used to like summer alot mostly for swimming/water activities but I don't really do much of that anymore for lack of time/funds/energy and the fact that I have Lupus, in which one of my flare triggers is sunlight (high/bright levels of it for more than short intervals). Beyond that I'm just pale as all get out- needless to say I'm more of a nightowl and reverse-hibernator lol. If you get cold you can create warmth or cover up, but in the heat there's only so many layers you can shed (゚ー゚)

I know of one weirdo Princess Celestia shaped player that uses their pointer fingers to play. :3 The phone is held with their other three fingers, while the thumb holds the bottom. I’ve tried it, works pretty well, just not my style.

Here is how I personally prefer to play: I use my left hand(mainly my thumb but sometimes my index finger) to use special moves, BBs, and CAs. I do all of my blocking by holding down my right index and middle finger(I also throw and throw break with those two fingers). I do all normal attacks with my right index finger.

I like how this turned into a thread simultaneously about skin care routines and debates over how you hold your phone or tablet or whatever while you play. I think I'm mostly just shocked that some of you primarily use your thumb - how do you block? Do you use both thumbs? I'm with Reshiram on this one

I like how this turned into a thread simultaneously about skin care routines and debates over how you hold your phone or tablet or whatever while you play. I think I'm mostly just shocked that some of you primarily use your thumb - how do you block? Do you use both thumbs? I'm with Reshiram on this one
LOL

Well, I'm just shocked that you DON'T use your thumbs. (Yes, I use both to block) :D
^^^ Me rn XD
But yeah I take both thumbs and put them toward the center of the screen, so I don't mess around and smack head games or something instead of block rofl. I feel I have a great degree of control so I like it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: educavalcantee
I know of one weirdo Princess Celestia shaped player that uses their pointer fingers to play. :3 The phone is held with their other three fingers, while the thumb holds the bottom. I’ve tried it, works pretty well, just not my style.
Functionally it sounds effective, but man that makes me think I'd have cramps for days playing that way ⊙﹏⊙

i hold the phone with my left and left thumb for moves. my right index and middle for everything else.

I grab my phone like a standard controller and just play with my thumbs. I try to keep them on the very bottom edges of the screen as to not obscure my view.

Back on topic: Maybe you could try a different screen protector? I used to have one that got pretty greasy and friction became a problem pretty quickly. I couldn't use moisturizer as it would get all smushy and blurry and even performing throws was a pain.

I bought a new one and it seems to be very smooth. As long as I keep my hands clean it offers no noticeable resistance.

I grab my phone like a standard controller and just play with my thumbs. I try to keep them on the very bottom edges of the screen as to not obscure my view.

Back on topic: Maybe you could try a different screen protector? I used to have one that got pretty greasy and friction became a problem pretty quickly. I couldn't use moisturizer as it would get all smushy and blurry and even performing throws was a pain.

I bought a new one and it seems to be very smooth. As long as I keep my hands clean it offers no noticeable resistance.
I actually don't use a screen protector lol. I'm just playing on straight glass, but just using some lotion and giving my hands time to absorb it seems to help. My thumb has begun to develop a callus of sorts too though so I've not had as much of an issue.