• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Elephant in the Room (The Power Creep)

I should also add that I hope they find a way to balance the Event fights with the new master tier, since that makes doing non-prize fights even more of a time chore.

This just feels like they are throwing in so many ideas into one patch only after just having a pretty big patch not too long ago with the prize fight changes.

Our patch notes should be live very very soon which will help clear the air, but there are a lot of very valid concerns in this thread - I hear you.

One thing I wanted to mention is that you'll be earning a lot more experience in 2.4 which will make leveling Golds (and _____ tier) easier. More on this shortly!

@Gamma Ray Free to play/low-budget players will always have a disadvantage. I don't think the requirement of 5 golds is that bad (to reach, the cost itself is still a big investment), especially if you focus your pulls on one character. Note that leveling golds are hard for any type of player, as having lots of moolah doesn't let you increase the fighter's EXP directly. In terms of Marquee abilities, not upgrading your energy tree is entirely up to the player. I think you're exaggerating by calling it a middle finger from the devs.
This is all your choice, you aren't required to get Marquee abilities or Platinum fighters, players have been completing all the events without having these things so far.

@MatDestruction The feature seems to be aimed at really late game players. Perhaps we'll see a different outlet for duplicates in the future? Upgrading energy trees shouldn't take too long. 1 Medici event and a few dailies and you're there.

@Hall☆weenQueen Power creep is already a thing, but it doesn't restrict players from using weaker fighters (bronzes evolved to golds) to complete events. I think Platinum fighters will mostly be a bragging rights thing.

Apparently there have been changes to increase EXP gain, so those of you that are worried about leveling should be able to build up your characters much quicker now. I'd personally like to at least see how this update affects the game first, before passing off any pre-mature judgement. I do believe that Canopy Coins are going to ABSOLUTELY extinct with the addition of the new tier though.

I am not saying Platinum is bad but it creates a huge difference between Platinum evolved from Bronze and Platinum evolved from Gold. We already know that a naturally maxed out gold is around 9000 to 10.5k in power, but the Gold bronze is only 6000 to 7500. Coupling with the Gold stronger SA, Bronze fighter is obsolete now. I want to have a more ballance setting in evolving the bronze fighter to gold and platinum as the Bassline, Rerun and Bad Hair day are my favourite characters. But now when it comes to gold and platinum they are just not worth it to evolve. This leaves a huge hole that if covered will bring even more motivation for character evolution.

Last edited:
I want to have a more ballance setting in evolving the bronze fighter to gold and platinum as the Bassline, Rerun and Bad Hair day is my favourite characters as well but when it comes to gold and platinum they are just not worth it to evolve. This leaves a huge hole that if cover will brings even more motivation for character evolution.

I concur with this, hopefully the Diamond evolution actually gives Bronze-evolved Gold a chance to shine, rather being only worthy as fodder for evolution.

In terms of Marquee abilities, not upgrading your energy tree is entirely up to the player. I think you're exaggerating by calling it a middle finger from the devs.
This is all your choice, you aren't required to get Marquee abilities or Platinum fighters, players have been completing all the events without having these things so far.
I don't know if @Gamma Ray feels the same, but it's not about simply being able to complete all the events, it's about having access to all mechanics of the fighters. For example, what makes me wanna upgrade skill and move nodes is that they make the game more fun. By maximizing them, you can fully experience what the fighter has to offer and what differs him from his variants, which isn't the case with the other 3 nodes. By upgrading them we just raise stats the fighter already has, we don't get anything ''new''. But now, with these new Marquee abilities, you'll most likely be missing some new gameplay possibilities if you don't get them. It might just be me but I don't like doing bronze pfs for this reason, my fighters there don't have the two most important nodes maxed and it just feels less fun playing with them...

I don't know if @Gamma Ray feels the same, but it's not about simply being able to complete all the events, it's about having access to all mechanics of the fighters. For example, what makes me wanna upgrade skill and move nodes is that they make the game more fun. By maximizing them, you can fully experience what the fighter has to offer and what differs him from his variants, which isn't the case with the other 3 nodes. By upgrading them we just raise stats the fighter already has, we don't get anything ''new''. But now, with these new Marquee abilities, you'll most likely be missing some new gameplay possibilities if you don't get them. It might just be me but I don't like doing bronze pfs for this reason, my fighters there don't have the two most important nodes maxed and it just feels less fun playing with them...
I guess my outlook is different because I have no issue filling out skill trees, especially bronze ones. I think this may see a boost in bronze use because theyre the easiest to unlock marquees on which is nice. I think theyll add a nice sense of progression too, as currently the only huge benefit to filling out your entire tree is bragging rights.

Looking at the patch and filling out the energy tree for testing, I have to take back my concerns about the energy tree.

A fully filled out energy tree really lessens the downtime in playing the character.

I do wish marquee abilities weren't a final step, but then again everyone is going to need to grind out gold keys so I was overreacting.

I understand longer streaks being rewarded properly but it is a bummer since it locks in the bleed meta unless something changes.

Reactions: PHPP, Inked and Fel
i’m that one person that fully upgrades the Energy tree, and part of me doesn’t understand why it has such a bad reputation. like @Gamma Ray said it allows you to use the fighter a lot more, which is helpful - especially if the fighter is max level and you need to use it a fair amount. not to rub in the fact that “oh look i fully upgrade all the nodes in my fighters’ skill tree,” but it isn’t a totally worthless node.
then again, it does cost more money/skill points and upgrading golds already drains everybody’s pockets (and the energy node doesn’t have a clear benefit to the fighter), so i can see why not a lot of people do it/don’t really like it and thus arent happy with the whole marquee ability requirements.

i’m that one person that fully upgrades the Energy tree, and part of me doesn’t understand why it has such a bad reputation. like @Gamma Ray said it allows you to use the fighter a lot more, which is helpful - especially if the fighter is max level and you need to use it a fair amount. not to rub in the fact that “oh look i fully upgrade all the nodes in my fighters’ skill tree,” but it isn’t a totally worthless node.
then again, it does cost more money/skill points and upgrading golds already drains everybody’s pockets (and the energy node doesn’t have a clear benefit to the fighter), so i can see why not a lot of people do it/don’t really like it and thus arent happy with the whole marquee ability requirements.
I always saw it as a "waste" of coins and skill points, but marquee abilities fix that problem. I still upgraded it for the special move cooldown and the tag in cooldown (for combo contwsts) though.

The issue was it did little to lift the fight score up for a character so you were better off putting those points into another variant if you had them available to you.

Energy would be a waste as a result of having a naturally deeper team so you wouldn't need to worry about cooldowns as much.

With these changes, I finally see the benefit, but I do wish they better distributed the fighter score throughout the tree to better incentive-ize using the energy node in the first place.