• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

First Character Impressions: Competitive PvP

Fel

wuf
Reaction score
Here are my first impressions of each character in the Competitive PvP mode.
Disclaimer: These are just my personal opinions on each character. I have a limited amount of experience in the game mode, take everything I say with a handful of salt.

Beowulf: Not too strong, has a variety of command grabs which you generally cant combo out of. Opponent has to blow a blockbuster after a character death otherwise Beowulf will command grab you. L4 is safe on block which is a lot of guard pressure.

Big Band: Has ToD potential and is generally pretty good at pressuring guard. SSJ is frame 2 but its tough to combo out of it if you use it as a reversal. Still has his CA so you can armor through some stuff. His bad backdash usually means you can get punished for doing it so be careful.

Cerebella: Strong in general. Command grabs you can combo out of, ranged BB to punish opponents at a distance. Needs BBs for high damage combos and to punish opponents. Good as an anchor for this reason.

Double: Lowest HP in game along with Painwheel. Will die to 2 CVs + a ground combo. Can ToD opponents but has a hard time getting the initial hit. Cat heads really good but needs the meter. One of the best tag ins in the game as it can be combo'd into and out of.

Eliza: Considered one of the strongest thanks to Sehkmet currently having unblockable charge attacks and unflinching. All BBs will break her out of Sehkmet. Weight of Anubis is often used as a way to break stalemates. Sehkmet axe loops do bonkers damage.

Filia: Very annoying to play against. Evade still works and has the fastest(?) backdash in the game. Will hit and run you until you make a mistake. Lightweights can get ToD'd but otherwise her combos aren't too noteworthy. Drillationship is a reversal but you need a BB to get a combo out of it.

Ms Fortune: Also one of the strongest characters. People say she has a high skill ceiling which is true but you don't need to be too fancy with headless to ToD people. The hardest aspect of using her would be using head in neutral which most people aren't very good at, especially with the lag. Is somewhat countered by a few characters who can hit the head with big damage. El Gato to dodge everything and tilt your opponent.

Painwheel: Not that strong. Has a good tag in but can't do much with it afterwards unlike Double. Since only one copy of a move can be used, Gae Bolga loops arent as big of an issue. Also has the lowest health and not many good ways to punish opponents from a distance.

Parasoul: Has surprising guard pressure and tears actually pressure the opponent pretty well. High damage hits, can ToD you with enough resources. Also has a guaranteed guard break combo. You can use bikes on MF's head for some free damage which is nice. Instead of trying to punish opponents she can focus more on whittling their guard

Peacock: Great at pressuring the opponent. Lots of ranged specials to either lower their guard meter or get some free damage. Has trouble actually converting those hits into other things. Guaranteed guard break combo but not many options after getting the guard break.

Robo: Similar to peacock but has more utility in other areas. Head drones aren't that threatening and take quite a while to set up. Can ToD you but probably needs Circuit Breaker to do it. Rotation hazard is a good option to bait things and restand opponents.

Squigly: I personally like her a lot. She has guard break setups and can pressure guard very well with opera. She needs blockbusters to do a lot of damage but she also gains meter very quickly. Doesn't need to burst bait to do a lot of damage but needs to do it for ToD. She also needs some time to wyrm charge which can get quite difficult. Silver Chord is great at catching backdashes and dash ins. Also very good for burst baiting since a lot of people will instantly burst as soon as they see they got hit by silver chord. If they don't go for it you can go straight into launcher or bait again with jab.

Valentine: Similar issues to double in my opinion. Once you get touched by her you're basically dead, with or without a burst. Triple CV kills all the characters I think. She does have trouble getting that first hit in, but CV is a pretty quick blockbuster. Her command grab special move also combos into CV after a dash attack jab, which alleviates her aforementioned problem somewhat. Also combos and kills off of burst in the corner which is scary... Her charge attack is hard to react to and Forbidden Procedure still revives teammates.

Good read, but some of the jargon, abbreviations, and acronyms elude my grasp.

GLOSSARY

PvP = Player versus Player - 'nuff said
L4 = ???
ToD = Touch of Death - a fatal combination of attacks requiring a single vulnerable opportunity
SSJ = Super-Sonic Jazz - a blockbuster in which a cyborg transforms into a French Horn comet
CA = Character Ability?
BB = Blockbuster - a super move gained from meter accrued
HP = Health Points - a character's vitality
CV = ???
MF = Ms. Fortune - a feral with implausible regenerative abilities and corporeal control

Fourth tap of the screen during a ground combo, assuming that ADVANCED COMBO is unlocked in the Skill Tree.

Ex: The second swing of Valentine's IV pole.

MF = Ms. Fortune - a feral with implausible regenerative abilities and corporeal control
Updating Ms. Fortune's install / download screen bio....

I only got to try PVP a couple times at AX, but I thought it was a lot of fun. Eliza and Ms. Fortune worked well for me. Parasoul, who's normally my favorite, is a lot more tricky to use when someone competent at sudden blocks is fighting you. Beowulf and Cerebella seem like they'll be appealing for being able to break through blocks with their throws.

I only got to try PVP a couple times at AX, but I thought it was a lot of fun. Eliza and Ms. Fortune worked well for me. Parasoul, who's normally my favorite, is a lot more tricky to use when someone competent at sudden blocks is fighting you. Beowulf and Cerebella seem like they'll be appealing for being able to break through blocks with their throws.
Parasoul has a guaranteed guard break combo that'll help her out.

We ran the beta specifically to find cases like this. Don't get too attached to anything that seems obviously broken :p

They didn't have guard break when I got to try it, and it's sounds like a helpful addition. The one Parasoul vs Parasoul fight I had was also the longest battle I had by a ridiculous margin.

Peacock also dealt ridiculous damage to your guard meter with her projectiles. I never tried this but I'm pretty sure all three of her George special moves will guard break an opponent.