• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Fights Lack of Late Game Pick Up and Play Options

fanghoul

Reaction score
So, for various pandemic related reasons, I actually ended up playing the game dramatically less for the last month and a half. I've been picking it back up for the the Viva La FIesta prize fight, but I've noticed after being away that's a bit of a chore to just... play the game with my favorite characters.

Prize Fights I have to go through just a ton of mindless easy fights to get to the point where there's anything challenging. Rift Battles are a weird combo of not getting to play right away probably and then having to commit to playing for a really long time. (Hopefully being fixed in the future, but worth mentioning I guess.) Daily events are mostly a breeze to get through, including Accursed Experiments by now unless I have some up and coming character that's in the exact right level range to be challenged by them. Story Mode has been largely cleared out except for the optional challenges. I've never had much luck finding a match up in Verses unless I'm willing to give up all my moves and variants to go for Competitive. I guess that's one option.

Still, as was the premise of this, there's no way for me to just log in to the game and have a good fight with my favorite characters. I think Verses was supposed to be this, but it didn't pan out that way in practice because I haven't ever found anyone in the Free For All version of Versus. (This is not completely surprising. The match making here would be even tougher than in Rift Battles) So while there's thing's to do, they're either more set up (Prize Fights), or more commitment (Rifts), or more vanilla (Competitive Versus), or more grindy (Daily Events), or more puzzle solving (Story Mode) than what I'm looking for.

Maybe this is sounding a bit selfish at this point, because I do clearly have options. I just feel like the most obvious option: Boot up the game and mess around with the characters I clearly like the most because I've gotten them all the way to level 60 and invested heavily in their moves, just is not something that I can easily do. Maybe that's something that will be addressed by the new model of Rifts whenever, but I figured it was something worth mentioning as feedback, because it is a little bit of a hindrance towards just jumping back into the game and that's probably something the Devs should be aware of.

Prize Fights are probably the most frustrating at the moment for me, because I know that's where I used to have the most fun fights in a row. But if I carve out 10 minutes to do some gaming these days in my weird home/work life combo, I have a hard time internally justifying spending 100% of it grinding through those boring early prize fights so that a later break can be fun, when I can just pick up a different game to entertain me now.

Still love the game. I really loved the rush of a high streak Prize Fight. Just trying to do my best to support it through feedback as I'm struggling a bit to get back into it as a game I regularly play after a break.

Last edited:
I've been saying this on the discord for ages but never put it here for some reason. I've mostly quit the game because it's such a time investment! I've been focusing on learning programming now so I need games that aren't a massive time investment, and unfortunately SGM just requires too much nowadays. I came back for the event PF, but got over it pretty fast honestly. I got to 25mil but honestly don't care enough to grind more, cause I know once it's over I won't play for another month.

I'm really hoping updated Rift can become the pick up and play mode with the update, but it still suffers from three things: needing to swap offense and defense moves, varying maps (if they stick to that) needing constant adjustment, and the fact that you don't gain EXP meaning you can't really improve fighters on it.

I have no interest in PvP. Nothing wrong with it, I just signed up for a different experience than PvP offers.

In the old days of PF the team always matched your strongest team's FS and then raised the opponent's power as you got farther. But it didn't have post 15 HP and Atk modifiers attached to them, so you could play infinitely as long as you don't mess up. I feel like there's a balance you could achieve here. What if when you get some high number streak in a PF, you have the option to start with teams at a certain power level but had to start at streak 1 as far as points/modifiers? It would only apply for that specific PF (ex. Getting that streak with Filia unlocks it for future Filia PFs, but you still need to do it for Fortune). That way, it's more pick up and play friendly in the long run, but you still suffer a point loss for losing, so more skilled players will still get higher faster.

There's probably more elegant solutions, but figured I'd piggyback and throw something out there :p

I think it'd be easier to get into the mode of investing time in the game if I could do a little light playing more easily now and then too.

I got into Zelda Breath of the Wild while I was away from this game, and while it's a weird comparison to make because it's a totally different type of game made on a very different budget, I can pick up and play that for 5 minutes, or I play it for 5 hours, and picking it up for 5 minutes definitely has led me to wanting to play for 5 hours.

What I'm noticing is Skullgirls is lacking some in the 5 minute department if you've already pretty far in the game. Early on and even midway through the game Story Mode and Daily Events offer something to do if you have 5 minutes. But later on, as I described above, there's just barriers between flipping open the game and using your favorite characters in a competitive fight. You have to work to get to use them. And that makes it hard for the game to remind me that I like playing it enough that I might invest a few hours into it rather than something else. I've manage to get myself to play for a few hours a couple times in the past week and I've enjoyed it once I've gotten into it, but it requires more of a conscious effort to work around the slog than some games, and that's... not ideal.

i feel like this is one of those games where you sometimes need to take a break for a bit. I mean when you think about it your doing the same thing over and over again and that’s true for other games but since this is a mobile game I guess it just feels different. Maybe because there’s no end your trying to get too, even animal crossing has an ‘end’ of sorts. I try to take breaks every once and a while so that I don’t get tired of it, and it works for me, but I’ve invested less time than you have. I think the game could benefit from having more surprise moments like uh maybe adding more modifiers to high streak prize fights to keep players on there toes. I know that’s not enough to convince someone to put in more hours for the game, but it would make things different for a while. Maybe the best thing to do is to take a very long break, so once you’ve played other games and have gotten a little board of them, you can’t come back and start to get back into the swing of things. There’s sure to be new fighters and events going on. We also have that new fighter to look forward to. Regardless, I wish you the best of luck in breath of the wild!