• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Making Blocks More Skill Oriented

As a wise man once said, don't make blocking turn on god mode.
As a wise man once said, block mode is incredibly easy to beat. Ever tried an unblockable charge attack? Ever try a sweep when the AI periodically unblocks to check? Every try dash grabbing when the enemy didn't just attack? Ever try dashing in with an attack and then backdashing out to avoid the hit? I guess not, since you aren't aware of how pathetically easy it is to beat this simple mechanic.

I think you guys don't understand the point I'm trying to make. The point I'm trying to make is that blocking is too reliable. There's nothing to punish you for prematurely putting up a block. There's no timer or punishment limit a block can take. I don't understand why you guys are attacking me so aggressively while I'm trying to put out an opinion.

As a wise man once said, block mode is incredibly easy to beat. Ever tried an unblockable charge attack? Ever try a sweep when the AI periodically unblocks to check? Every try dash grabbing when the enemy didn't just attack? Ever try dashing in with an attack and then backdashing out to avoid the hit? I guess not, since you aren't aware of how pathetically easy it is to beat this simple mechanic.
Charge attacks take time to load up
Sweeps have animations
Some characters aren't fast enough
I understand all these mechanics and I implement them. I'm talking on behalf of all the UNPLAYABLE characters. I'm not saying that I don't know how to beat block. I'm saying that for some characters getting past block is IMPOSSIBLE.

I think you guys don't understand the point I'm trying to make. The point I'm trying to make is that blocking is too reliable. There's nothing to punish you for prematurely putting up a block. There's no timer or punishment limit a block can take. I don't understand why you guys are attacking me so aggressively while I'm trying to put out an opinion.
What you don't realize is that there are ways to punish blocking, you just don't realize them. Unblockable charge attacks being one of those, grabs being another. Even if they break out, you don't get punished for trying unless against cerebella. Many fighters have unblockable grab attacks to get blocking enemies out of their block and deal a ton of damage.

Charge attacks take time to load up
Sweeps have animations
Some characters aren't fast enough
I understand all these mechanics and I implement them. I'm talking on behalf of all the UNPLAYABLE characters. I'm not saying that I don't know how to beat block. I'm saying that for some characters getting past block is IMPOSSIBLE.
Charge attacks take next to no time to charge.
Sweep animations are faster than it would take for them to get their attack animations.
Block is never even an issue for the majority of the players.

Sweep animations are faster than it would take for them to get their attack animations.
Not all Charge attacks are made equal. Not all grabs are made equal. The problem is that characters like Eliza and Valentine have terrible grabs. Though Valentines charge attack can hit from far away, the AI typically punishes by stopping the attack mid flight and Eliza Has no range and her grab is slower than big bands giant step.

Sure blocking isn't an issue for majority characters. I'm simply putting out a suggestion "not as a bad player" but as a player concerned for the balance of all the playable characters, the present and the future.

Not all Charge attacks are made equal. Not all grabs are made equal. The problem is that characters like Eliza and Valentine have terrible grabs. Though Valentines charge attack can hit from far away, the AI typically punishes by stopping the attack mid flight and Eliza Has no range and her grab is slower than big bands giant step.
1. Terrible grabs take them out of block for no cost to you, even though they should be buffed. You could also just wait blocking yourself for a few seconds and the AI will literally always come after you. They never sit there and block for more than a few seconds, if that.
Valentine charge attack can be interrupted, but is not likely at all to be stopped if the enemy is actually blocking.

Sure blocking isn't an issue for majority characters. I'm simply putting out a suggestion "not as a bad player" but as a player concerned for the balance of all the playable characters, the present and the future.
2. If this was about certain characters needing buffs to their grabs then I agree. It's been talked about earlier, so I'm certain the devs are aware. I disagree with making blocking even more punishable by adding in a mechanic that only lets you play defensively for any short amount of time. If you're good, you shouldn't be blocking for more than a second or two to tank an attack anyways. And that's only if you don't kite them like you can.

1. Terrible grabs take them out of block for no cost to you, even though they should be buffed. You could also just wait blocking yourself for a few seconds and the AI will literally always come after you. They never sit there and block for more than a few seconds, if that.
Valentine charge attack can be interrupted, but is not likely at all to be stopped if the enemy is actually blocking.

2. If this was about certain characters needing buffs to their grabs then I agree. It's been talked about earlier, so I'm certain the devs are aware. I disagree with making blocking even more punishable by adding in a mechanic that only lets you play defensively for any short amount of time. If you're good, you shouldn't be blocking for more than a second or two to tank an attack anyways. And that's only if you don't kite them like you can.
I can definitely agree to that. I just wish that this game had more mechanics of the original game, like a joystick on the side. I suggested the block idea because I was hoping it would end up more like the original more skill and competitive and it would eventually lead to a multiplayer ladder. My wishfully thinking got the better of me.

I can definitely agree to that. I just wish that this game had more mechanics of the original game, like a joystick on the side. I suggested the block idea because I was hoping it would end up more like the original more skill and competitive and it would eventually lead to a multiplayer ladder. My wishfully thinking got the better of me.
Pretty sure that block is infinite in the game as well, only that you have high and low blocks. But ya, I would love to see controller support for sure...

hahaha how is blocking even real just git gud scrub hahahaha

Train me in the ways of holding down on the screen oh great master, how can you possibly get past these masterful blocks??

hahaha how is blocking even real just git gud scrub hahahaha

In all seriousness the AI in Skullgirls is such a fucking sleepwalk. I wanted blocks to be a handicap towards the player NOT the AI. I also refuse to bow to the meta and use 3 Harlequin Cerebella's and 18 Merrigorrila's

In all seriousness the AI in Skullgirls is such a fucking sleepwalk. I wanted blocks to be a handicap towards the player NOT the AI.
Why lol, the game is fun right now with the way blocks work, that'd just make it worse.
I also refuse to bow to the meta and use 3 Harlequin Cerebella's and 18 Merrigorrila's
A: you meant 15
B:Just don't play valentine and you're fine lol. The AI doesn't just sit there with block at any level lmao. Moist is using an Eliza and doing fine

Everyone concerned about difficulty, here you go.

A. Fight Prime Parasol, because she will hit you mid combo.
B. Fight Resonant Evil Big Band
C. Fight Armed Forces Cerebella
D. Fight Untouchable Peacock

Fighting any of these is pretty much a nightmare, so there you go lol.

Everyone concerned about difficulty, here you go.

A. Fight Prime Parasol, because she will hit you mid combo.
B. Fight Resonant Evil Big Band
C. Fight Armed Forces Cerebella
D. Fight Untouchable Peacock

Fighting any of these is pretty much a nightmare, so there you go lol.
A: Lol you need to keep tapping to continue your combos, she literally can't break out mid combo git gud
B: this is correct
C: She's EZPZ git gud
D: Double EZPZ git gud

A: Lol you need to keep tapping to continue your combos, she literally can't break out mid combo git gud
B: this is correct
C: She's EZPZ git gud
D: Double EZPZ git gud
A. Well she also recovers from her attack too fast as well.
B. You know it.
C. Just lot at an 18 streak thanks to you lol. You are wrong sir, she is stupid hard!
D. Not as bad, but unflinching is just the worst.