• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

OFFICIAL - 5.1 Update Notes - Umbrella's Full Release!

And I think the idea of fixing player burnout is weird. Like, they could already just not play levels they didn't want.
Exactly.

Honestly, this update feels like it will cause more player burnout. I made decent pace with improving my characters. It kept me involved. But with this sort of slowdown, I dunno. It feels like it's the sort of thing make people feel burnout when it takes so long to build a character up.
And it greatly hinders the progress for the newer players.
Half of the fun of the dailies is about trying out a harder mode.

Actually, it's not an issue for me. I tapped on the essence and the label comes out. This was a reward from dailies.
WHEN THE HECK DID THEY DO THAT!?

Seriously I swear I just tapped on the shards a few weeks ago and it didn’t do that. Seems the storage shards and essences are updated too! THANK YOU

Is it just me or there have been some changes to the camera also? Like it is looking wider?? Or the Big Band have grown bigger!
Or maybe ive not noticed it before .__.
Things look normal on my end, new bug possibly?

So I know it's only been the first day but I logged in, used up 3 of my tickets and hit the claim button to get 2. I'm not too sure whether this was intended and we'll get 3 tomorrow, but I just wanted to give a heads up in case it wasn't. Thank you always for reviewing player feedback swiftly, really appreciate it :D
Did about the same, played two events, claimed two tickets, did Experiments and now I can't claim any more tickets. Not sure if bug, oversight or intended.

• Wow
Reactions: Art3mes
Thanks for the update! But how to change camera settings? The characters are very small. I see part of the floor, but I would like the top ☹️

all changes are more then welcomed except daily ones .
whilst is nice to be able to skip them . the \FORCED choice you have to make seems harsher then needed . its a overall debuff that makes everithing else redundant .
UNLESS the intention is to FORCE people towards rifts and PF . That sayed , feels i am send into something i will not have enough resources for . I consider tier lists uselles but this change in how much money youre getting really makes you consider "meta " variants or even characters .

Oops. I guess I must have misunderstood the whole daily thing... I think there will be clarity once it's been played rather than mincing words... 👍
Looks, like... you didn´t.

Why do we never lisen to the ones running around screaming to run too?

Is it just me or there have been some changes to the camera also? Like it is looking wider?? Or the Big Band have grown bigger!
Or maybe ive not noticed it before .__.
In the patch notes they say they changed the aspect ratio for devices with wider screens. It might be slightly bugged rn so we’ll see how that shakes out

• Wow
Does anyone know if the new umbrella variant can be given to you in normal relics?

After playing with the new daily system in place, I figured I’d be a good idea to collect my thoughts in a new post.

Holodeck with more XP and a booster active is fun, but it’s ultimately not worth the coin reduction that many higher level players are suffering from.

But besides that, I have a bad feeling about the future of this game. After thinking both about the community backlash and the weird design choices of it all, I think the game may be becoming P2W. I’ve had it as an idea in the back of my mind for a bit now, but I think clipping the coins that experienced players were making by over 70% was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

This is just a guess of course, these various questionable design choices have proven that nobody can tell what goes in behind the thought process of HVS, but all I can really do is hope that this was a massive oversight on the developer’s end and not a bad omen for the future of this game. Lord knows I don’t have faith in it anymore.

To preface, I truly appreciate all the work you guys put into this game. With everything going on at the moment, I respect your dedication to the community. A majority of these changes are features I've wanted for a while, and I'm genuinely excited for their implications on the game going forward. But this Daily change really feels like a swing and a miss.

I myself don't spend that much time with dailies anymore, besides the occasional Master here and there, but slashing canopy gain to this extent doesn't sit right with me. Even with 3 tickets a day, players will be forced to prioritize focusing on one character over another, or Holodeck over Character Dailies, which just doesn't feel good as a player. The Prize Fight rework worked out fine because you ultimately gained the same, or a very similar, set of rewards regardless of what tier you chose. Unless you were going out of your way for a specific key or variant or tier, you weren't missing out. With the more varied Daily structure, you have essentially 3-4 different sets of rewards at any given time: Holodeck and Character Dailies being the main two sets, with further division between the different featured characters. With the ticket system, you are missing out on something.

The rationale is also hard to wrap my head around. The update notes cite a "substantial amount of commitment" as, ostensibly, the central problem with the Daily system, which is only partly true (more on that in a bit). While grinding each difficulty to scrape as many resources as possible a day was miserable, the crux of the issue was unambiguously the mind-numbingly boring and repetitive Daily template. People weren't constantly asking for a Dailies rework simply because they were sinking too much time into it, but because Character Dailies are utterly unengaging and tedious. If you really wanted to, you could auto through Dailies at a reasonable pace without wasting that much time at all - the barrier was how one-note and unvaried the process was, and how the mere act of completing them felt like burning time.

Point is, I don't think this is addressing the right issue. As I understand it, the impetus behind the implementation of the Daily ticket system was to curb excessive grinding, (which is, if I remember correctly, the same philosophy that informed the Prize Fight rework) but this misses the mark. Punishing those who commit more time than deemed "healthy" is not the right approach. If someone wants to spend an entire day grinding for one move with specific stats, so be it. It should be up to players to set their own boundaries as to how much time they want to commit.

At the very least, if this update is final (Goddesses forbid) and was to continue as such regardless of any player feedback, its placement in the queue of upcoming QoL changes is, in my estimation, sorely miscalculated. From an economical standpoint, what this update ultimately does is level the canopy gain to a flat ceiling, cutting the amount of coinage available to the player at any given time. This might be fine if the rest of the economy shifted with it, but that isn't the case. For instance, a huge reason players would indeed pursue a "substantial amount of commitment" to SGM is the aggravating move system. I know y'all know this, but a maxed gold move costs more than an actual gold fighter. Moves as they were already had an insane price, and given the importance of stats and maxed move effects on select moves, (Drill Tempered, Upper Khat, Catastrophe Cannon Omega, Egret Call, Canopy Bounce) this really is a punch in the gut to anyone trying for character builds. In the current state of the game, this change only serves to hinder growth.

The playing field is now effectively leveled, which in theory is good, but with how hilariously slow progression looks to be compared to the old Daily system, resource and collection disparities don't close in, they just solidify as they are. There is little to no room for upward mobility concerning resources. It might not bother casual players, but for literally any rifter this is gutting.

This change feels like a half-hazard band-aid to a more underlying problem. Even with the advent of the ticket system, Daily grinding - replaying a node over and over to squeeze out extra skill points and moves - is still a viable strategy, and it won't stop with this update. Why? Because that's the only consistent source of moves. If you want a good build and don't want to wait upwards of months for a single perfect, well-rolled move, this is what you have to do. Especially with random rolls and the lack of move agency, people are forced into the grind. The Daily system wasn't the only factor contributing to distaste. It was the poor move system, and the fact that Dailies are the only reliable source of canopy and moves. The way I see it, this change is a unilateral fix to a multifaceted problem that does nothing but hurt players in the end.

On a side-tangent, this change personally feels questionable from a game design perspective. Skipping through Dailies is cool and all, but as mentioned before, this doesn't change the fact that the Daily system remains the main source of a variety of resources, which results in even minute changes having a disproportionate amount of influence (see the ticket debacle). I'll admit this is pure conjecture, but to me, Character Dailies don't seem like they were meant as an income source, at least primarily; I mean they feature characters for a reason. But they are, and they're not being treated with quite the care the main fuel of progression should receive. This whole situation feels like a microcosm of the Daily system as a whole. In my opinion, it's bloated and relied on for far too much than one system should, and limiting the entirety of it with tickets is the opposite direction we need to go. How exactly diversifying resource collection should go about I don't know; that's not necessarily my area of expertise. But this feels like doubling down on a flawed system, and it really doesn't do much for engaging gameplay. I digress.

Do I think this is a tacit move of corporate greed to move sales? No, I'm not that cynical. But I do think this is a huge misstep, and the game really seems to be drifting towards P2W.

At the end of the day, these are just my knee-jerk reactions to the update. I understand the perspective of waiting it out to see how things go. Hell, everything I said here could very well hold untrue in a month or two. The way I see it, though, even in concept, this approach doesn't feel like the best way to go about things - not for the game's future, and certainly not for overall user experience.

So I know it's only been the first day but I logged in, used up 3 of my tickets and hit the claim button to get 2. I'm not too sure whether this was intended and we'll get 3 tomorrow, but I just wanted to give a heads up in case it wasn't. Thank you always for reviewing player feedback swiftly, really appreciate it :D
Same.
Reinstalled the app after that, just in case.

• Wow
Just checked out the new Prize Fight.
Fell in love with the descriptions 😅

There are some big translation issues.
I can barely understand what it was supposed to mean 😅

Some good meme material it makes. Almost on the level of "Ащьф Лштшфум".
Screenshot_2022-07-28-20-46-21-457_com.autumn.skullgirls.png
Screenshot_2022-07-28-20-47-00-451_com.autumn.skullgirls.png
Screenshot_2022-07-28-20-48-55-424_com.autumn.skullgirls.png

It is sad to see how the update based on the players feedback turned to be one of the most controversial updates in months if not years. As an active player myself I appreciate moves loadouts introduction, rifts update, new cheat reporting system, all of the combat and minor fixes and even the little neat detail regarding bronze moves and no energy in basic story mode for new players. It shows how much attention the developers pay to the community of this game and, honestly, it's what makes me happy to contribute with money and to feel part of this amazing project.

Now regarding the new daily tickets introduction: it's a completely new feature and has yet to be tested. But. Being one of the few people who used to grind all the difficulties to progress faster in the game, now I feel like that option has been taken from me. Introduction of tickets to access or replay the dailies means there's no longer free access to them. As of now, the only possibility to get tickets is by taking them once a day in the dailies menu and is limited by 3 (which is still 2, but it'll soon change hopefully). There are no options to get them elsewhere.

Gunz made a quick calculation and it resulted that people who used to grind all the difficulties with 3 tickets lose about 2 million canopy coins per week. Of course, not everyone grinds like that and even the tryhards don't do that everyday without any rest. Still, limiting them to 3 daily tickets in favor of those who occasionally log in and complete just the master difficulty will get people upset.

To make everyone happy, and make this the best update ever in Skullgirls I could see two ways of development of this feature:
1) Maybe leave the first daily completion free to access (with ticket skippability), while making secondary completion accessible only with tickets.
2) Make the tryhards earn their extra tickets. Now it's incredibly easy to get up to 100 points in the daily tasks and once you get there, there are still many missions left undone. If there was a ticket reward for completing all the tasks and getting the max amount of daily points (which you earn by playing every mode in the game), people who spend a lot of time in the game will be stimulated to participate in all activities, to remember about the existense of the versus mode and finally to get their hard earned canopy coins back.

Regardless the outcome, I'm looking forward for the development of this feature, cause skipping dailies makes life way easier and gives us players the chance to concentrate more on prize fights, rift and story mode (for beginners).

In conclusion I'd like to thank again the developers for being responsive and Cellsai in particular for tanking all the toxicity while the server was undergoing the update. Again, I'm proud to be part of this community and I'm eager to contribute for it's growth with what little I have in my mind and pockets :3

Wait, you could replay the same daily of the same difficulty several times? Or were you guys doing every difficulty for the rewards?

I'm so confused right now o_O. I dropped the dailies as soon as I could go into high level pfs because the XP and challenge just weren't there. They felt like content for players still building their collections not for me to just idle the game risking my boss to come in and see me playing videogames just outside my peripheral vision with the auto-fighter. Not to mention that it feels so incredibly boring.

Have I just been doing this wrong for years? No wonder my move sets suck (I mean, besides of the obvious analysis paralysis every time I open a move). Somebody just please fill me in.

Personally, I would have loved a "Nightmare" difficulty with max level diamonds and overpowered modifiers which dropped enough loot to discourage me from the lower difficulties and actually provided some hands on play experience, like the Diamond PFs did.

Last edited:
Wait, you could replay the same daily of the same difficulty several times? Or were you guys doing every difficulty for the rewards?

I'm so confused right now o_O. I dropped the dailies as soon as I could go into high level pfs because the XP and challenge just weren't there. They felt like content for players still building their collections not for me to just idle the game risking my boss to come in and see me playing videogames just outside my peripheral vision with the auto-fighter. Not to mention that it feels so incredibly boring.

Have I just been doing this wrong for years? No wonder my move sets suck (I mean, besides of the obvious analysis paralysis every time I open a move). Somebody just please fill me in.

Personally, I would have loved a "Nightmare" difficulty with max level diamonds and overpowered modifiers which dropped enough loot to discourage me from the lower difficulties and actually provided some hands on play experience, like the Diamond PFs did.
No, before 5.1 all 4 Tiers where played for coins, with Expert/Masters for 'farming' gold moves.
I too stopped Dailies for the same reason as you.

The new update killed the daily events. At least it was something that could keep me in the game for a long time after a quick game, but it got worse with the pass. Now it's a choice between events, and therefore rewards. The pass should solve the problem of farming rewards, and not completely exclude the possibility of obtaining them in the usual way from other events. Terrible... It also doesn't allow you to test underpowered characters.
The camera has changed. It's just inconvenient ... Characters can partially go off the screen

Last edited:
Overall this update is great! Already enjoying myself in the umbrella pf.

With the new rift stuff I'll actually go back to playing rifts!

As for the daily, it seems okay, my only gripe is that if I replay Beowulfs daily and use up all my tickets I'll have to choose between painwheel and holodeck hazards the next day (or I just play fukuas daily twice) I'm sure they'll adjust it somehow for a better replayibility later. Even then I'm sure you can just replay the nodes for moves.

We know there’s one Umbrella Fighter you’ve all been wishing for…
FINALLY I HAVE BEEN AWAITING FOR THE PRINCESS PEACH PALETTE
no jk the skullgirl umbrella fighter looks really cool