• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

OFFICIAL: Daily Events & Upcoming Economy Updates

MightyZug

Game Director
Hidden Variable Dev
Reaction score
Website
www.hiddenvariable.com
Hey everyone!

After seeing some of the feedback regarding our recent update to Daily Events in 5.1, we wanted to provide more context regarding our goals for this adjustment and to let you know why we made these changes and what further updates we have in store for the feature.

WHY WE CHANGED DAILY EVENTS

Prior to 5.1, Daily Events existed as a reliable means for players to invest time and yellow (non Prize Fight) energy to get an array of resources - including Skill Points, Canopy Coins, and Moves.

Effectively completing Daily Events required figuring out proper counters to challenging modifiers and match constraints, all of which are interesting puzzle boxes for progressing players through mid-game. Once you got to the point where you could clear these events comfortably however, they became a tedious slog. While you COULD use tools like Fight Assist to lessen the tedium somewhat, the previous system actively encouraged players to spend a significant amount of time (perhaps over an hour, if you’re doing all difficulties) engaging in content that - for those players - was far from compelling.

As a result, many of our mid-late game players fell into one of two camps:

1. Due to the rewards, they dutifully played Dailies every day, but saw it as boring/tedious “filler”
2. Due to the chore-like nature of Dailies, they didn’t even bother to engage with them at all

As you might expect, both of these results are Not Ideal.

We reflected on all this in context of one of the main goals regarding our recent Quality of Life updates - maximizing the amount of fun players are having per SGM minute played. If we know a certain mode or feature is dragging down the day to day experience, we want to nip that in the bud as best as possible. We would rather players spend less time playing Skullgirls Mobile every day if that means that their time spent in-game is more rewarding.

PREPARING FOR THE NEXT 5 YEARS OF SKULLGIRLS MOBILE
As Skullgirls Mobile celebrates its 5-year anniversary, we find ourselves at a bit of a crossroads. Some F2P games stagnate and coast indefinitely - slowly becoming further and further out of touch with other games on the market. Other F2P games take steps to try to improve their existing systems and economy as notable pain points arise and player expectations change, even if it comes at the risk of upsetting the uneasy balance they have struck prior (e.g. “the devils you know”).

Even though we’re 5 years in, Skullgirls Mobile still has tremendous room for growth. But we recognize that any time we attempt to make a paradigm shift, those pivots will also often come with a bit of friction.

In the case of Daily Events, we’ve made some conscious choices as it relates to the role we want Daily Events to play in each player’s journey and in their day-to-day sessions. In brief, our primary goal with the Daily Event refactor in 5.1 was to enable players to engage with Daily Events in an inviting fashion that spares them the slog in order to “make room” for players to spend time with more engaging content (e.g. Prize Fights, Rift Battles, future modes, etc).

For players who were slogging through Dailies every day, we want to allow you to earn rewards much more quickly so you can focus on other things. For players who were avoiding Dailies, we want them to become a snappy, rewarding aspect of your daily SGM routine.

CANOPY COIN SOURCES
As many of you have noted, one of the downsides of this particular approach is that - for players who were going above and beyond to maximally exhaust Daily Events prior to 5.1 - you could earn more Canopy Coins per week than you can after 5.1 (now that Daily Events are limited by Tickets).

We recognize that Canopy Coins are a resource that is in high demand, and anything that impacts the rate at which players can earn those resources for free will create a bit of friction. That said, Character Daily Events were not originally intended to serve as a primary source for Canopy Coins, and - despite the willingness for players to descend into the Canopy Coin mines to progress their collection - that is not an experience that we want to enable or encourage.

That said, we realize this creates a Canopy Coin void that otherwise needs to be filled. As such, we have some solutions for that (short and long term) that we hope will ensure Canopy Coins can be reliably acquired at a healthy/reasonable rate without creating undue, unpleasant demands on players.

UPCOMING ADJUSTMENTS
So! In light of all of that, what should folks expect in the short term and the long term?

SHORT TERM
We are going to be making two adjustments:

1. Starting Thursday (8/11/22), players will get 4 Daily Event Tickets per day (up from 3 per day)
2. Starting NOW, mid-week Medici Prize Fight events will reliably occur every Wednesday/Thursday (as opposed to every other week)

Both of these adjustments significantly increase the amount of resources (including Canopy Coins) that players are able to glean from Daily Events without significantly increasing the playtime overhead that was previously required, while also making it easier for players to spare tickets for Holodeck Hazards if they so desire.

This does not get things “1:1” with how they were prior to 5.1 from a raw “total potential Canopy Coins per week/month” perspective, but it is significantly closer at a fraction of the time investment.

LONG TERM
We are going to look into providing content for players who are primarily gated by Canopy Coins so players can choose to invest the time/energy/resources in maximizing that resource if they so choose. This rationale is similar to our decision to update Prize Fights to include Diamond Keys and guaranteed milestone-based Gold Fighter rewards.

As noted in our Roadmap, we will also continue to invest in refinements to our Move System, including the ability for players to reroll and/or enhance certain sub-stats as opposed to relying entirely on RNG, so players aren’t entirely reliant upon Canopy Coins in order to build the perfect move loadout.

In the interest of speaking to it specifically, we are NOT planning on restoring old functionality and changing Daily Event Tickets to only function as “Skip Tickets”. We know that limiting access to content that was previously freely available may rub some folks the wrong way in the interim, but - as noted earlier - we are actively looking to discourage players from feeling compelled to play through unengaging content to get the resources they need. We are confident that the current approach will provide players with rapid, sustainable access to these resources, and any tuning or adjustments we make will be within the confines of this system.

WRAPPING UP
I know there are a slew of other questions and improvements that folks would like to see as it relates to Daily Events and/or the Economy as a whole. Just know that we are listening and always looking to make the adjustments that are best for the moment-to-moment experience for every player and for the health of the game overall.

Thanks once again for all of your support - we look forward to your continued feedback as we refine the game further so it can continue to thrive for another 5 years!

<3 MightyZug

Last edited:
Thank god, these people can stop complaining now
Complaining is what got us now over double what they originally wanted to give.

This is the two steps backwards, one step forward design. Cause a big problem and after a while, fix it somewhat. Then get praised for only hurting the players a little instead of a lot.

This is a common tactic in mobile and live service games. I am glad about these changes. This is probably the best we could have hoped for, but I'm not going to let be forgotten that we are still getting less than coins than before.

Call me cynical and jaded, but I'm past praising companies for causing a problem and then fixing it a little. Today it is Daily Coins. Who knows what it will be in the future?

I want to think better of the SGM crew. Hell, they are better than most. Then, is the first time they pulled a shady mobile game company move in the 2 years I've been playing. But I'm not going to pretend this action is praiseworthy when it still puts us in the hole. I don't want to them to become just another mobile game company. So I'll call them out when I have to.

TL;DR Halfway fix, gets halfway praise and no more.

I welcome the continued development of the game. Thank you. On dailies the path that has been chosen is the skip function. The way its implemented, now with 4 tickets not three per day is decent. However it is a risky choice. I'm 4 years of daily play into SGM. Its gotten very busy and time consuming to balance with RL. Giving a skip ticket subliminally says the content you can skip is not worth playing. It's dangerous because it sets a precedent. I played Angry Birds Evo before SGM and they went the same route. It killed the game as you could skip lots of daily grind. However, the skipping itself became a grind and if you had (say) an hour per day to play by late game 15 mins of that hour was spent pressing skip in some form. Tedious. Better to up the rewards in other existing areas and then lock access for late gamers or create new content (even a difficulty beyond Master would do and lock it like Dia PF). Also i suggest a red daily ticket could be added to gift rewards (like for rift) so players have a chance at more than 4 tickets per day. Anyhow, the game is not ABEvo. Its SGM and it's great. Thanks again.

This is a very welcome improvement to the system and will appease many:

Those that only cared about the character dailies can do all of the Master difficulties + repeat one or two.
Those that had to choose between character dailies or Holodeck can now do both.
Those that ignored all of the daily content prior to v5.1 due to time constraints can benefit a little more.

As it has been said, this doesn't go back to the potential haul of old but it's a much healthier way of doing it and 4 tickets feels like a fair number for all (far better than 3 and let's not even talk about the 2 it was going to be).

Thank you for the changes and information in general.

Thank god, these people can stop complaining now

If nobody complained we'd still be stuck at 2 tickets per day. Are we not allowed to voice concern over sudden changes to a system that negatively impacts a large-enough population of the player base? There's always going to be people that whine and do not air their grievances politely - it's annoying and I get it - but there was a lot of valid and constructive criticism too and without it we would have been stuck with a very restrictive system.

Last edited:
Thank you, Zug, and the entire crew at HVS for always listening and taking the time to communicate back to the community in a professional and healthy way. Change is hard for people to embrace, and this is a very needed message that officially communicates the reasons behind change.

Your ability to clearly state the vision and intend behind your decisions has been the main reason why I’ve been a loyal player of SGM since the launch 5 years ago.

Looking forward to seeing where we end up 5 years from now!

As someone who has played this game for 3 years, I'm happy about the changes to dailies, and it's great to see that the devs are working on more sources of coins.
The previous system rewarded us with mindless grinding, allowing us to complete up to 112 or 168 easy fights per day, where more time was spent going through menus than actually playing the game, just to maximize our profits of in-game currency.

This is not fun or engaging gameplay, and it's great that the developers have acknowledged this and are making a change. It's also being acknowledged that more sources of canopy coins are needed, and it's being implemented short term with plans of long term changes as well.

At this point, it's my feeling that anyone complaining has forgotten that this is a game, and not a part time job. We're not supposed to grind out up to 168 menial tasks every day to get our salary. Getting daily tickets to skip that is a solution and allowing us to quickly finish it so we can move on to what we're supposed to be doing in a game - enjoying the gameplay.

It doesn't matter that our "potential" maximum coin gain is reduced for now. We can calculate the numbers and say "hey, we could get this much before...", but realistically, most players never saw that amount of coins because it's not reasonable to grind out 2-3 dailies, on 4 difficulties, every day. A small minority of players were doing this and they have to accept that this was never the intended system of dailies.

The game is taking a direction where quality of gameplay is prioritized over tedious grinding, and I am happy the game is taking this direction.

I still won't praise this. When I heard there was going to be a rework to dailies, I thought they would be:
-Shorter (Maybe 7 or less nodes)
-Easier / Less annoying
-Same amount of rewards

The one thing I did not expect was a general coin farm nerf. And no, another Medici a week (300K coins) does not compensate the nerf.

Now we just need a reliable way to get diamond keys instead of grinding for hours. I have several maxed diamonds but they take MONTHS each. Accursed is useless since I've been doing it every single week since LAST DECEMBER and have only gotten A SINGLE DIAMOND KEY.

I sure love to get bronze, silver and gold keys in the treasure node, especially when 100% accursed already gives you one of each.

Sincerely, now about your control approach to players i disagree and any feature that restricts gameplay has to be completely optional to the player

Last edited:
Reactions: Freedom
Thanks as always for the transparency and communication! I have been positively affected by the new system. I do believe it's better for the game in the long run and only have minor complaints about it. I really appreciate the short term solutions and reasoning behind the changes.
We recognize that Canopy Coins are a resource that is in high demand, and anything that impacts the rate at which players can earn those resources for free will create a bit of friction. That said, Character Daily Events were not originally intended to serve as a primary source for Canopy Coins, and - despite the willingness for players to descend into the Canopy Coin mines to progress their collection - that is not an experience that we want to enable or encourage.
I feel like this paragraph needs to be highlighted, especially on the intent of Daily Events. For more than a year we've had excellent QoL updates and even though this particular one had some friction, new content IS coming and I trust the devs will fill this Canopy Coin void. Hopefully one of those long term solutions come quicker. We can never have enough coins :p

Now to wait for someone to calculate how many coins we can farm in comparison to the past. I'm curious to know the gap.

Good changes! I think this is a big step in the right direction, though I do wish we could bring it back to the 1:1 ratio as soon as possible rather than trying to make Canopy Coins less powerful. That is, instead of adding stat agency to moves and therefore making Canopy Coins less necessary, just make Canopy Coins more plentiful.

Perhaps increasing other indirect sources of Canopy Coins would help as well? Make gold moves sell for 10k instead of 5k, increase end of prize fight Canopy Coin rewards, increase milestone rewards, buff daily and take a break relics to give higher amounts of coins, etc.

Well, 2 medici per week can be a good idea but there's 2 things that made me think:
1- Why Holodeck and Experiments weren't mentioned here?, because everyone was complaining about it costing Tickets as a limited way to be on the daily events
2- giving us 4 tickets can be good, but what about Saturday and Sunday? I would love if y'all give us 6 tickets on that days.
Besides that, I just want more content and things like that

Now we just need a reliable way to get diamond keys instead of grinding for hours. I have several maxed diamonds but they take MONTHS each. Accursed is useless since I've been doing it every single week since LAST DECEMBER and have only gotten A SINGLE DIAMOND KEY.
Friend, if it is taking you any longer than six weeks to find ten diamond keys, maybe you should be focusing on your golds.

Optimally, finding 10 diamond keys takes a little bit less than a month—two keys a week from diamond prize fights and one key a week from scoring diamond rank in rift battles. Even without rift battles, it takes five weeks with only diamond prize fights, not counting any keys that appear in the Cabinet. If it takes you 2 or more months, you would probably be better off focusing on investing in golds and taking strong golds (or even strong silvers) to diamond instead.

Of course, Canopy Coins are still a huge limiting factor, but I have good news for you on that front.

We know that limiting access to content that was previously freely available may rub some folks the wrong way in the interim, but - as noted earlier - we are actively looking to discourage players from feeling compelled to play through unengaging content to get the resources they need.
Agreed 🤝
431574624069877762.png

Now to wait for someone to calculate how many coins we can farm in comparison to the past. I'm curious to know the gap.
Screenshot_2022-08-11-10-33-52-12_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Honestly what I'm getting from this is:

We increased daily tickets from 3 - 4, which is ok ig... ( I do wish we could just do dailies like normal before, yeh it's a grind, but it's fair)

Medici I think it solves a little bit of the problem, not all of it. (maybe bumper up the coins a teeny bit 😅)

Looking forward to Stat rerolls. Mark my words this right here will massively change the landscape of skullgirls mobile. This could be overwhelmingly awesome. Or this could be a train crash. (oh well I'm already on the train, hope it's gonna be fun 🚂😂)

Anyways thx for keeping us informed of future endeavors, it's actually pretty cool how we can comment and u guys, the devs take stuff from that feedback and we can work as a community. Some guys may say we get ignored, but at least we get some say in game changes, rather than other mobile communities.

Reactions: BallotBoxer
I still won't praise this. When I heard there was going to be a rework to dailies, I thought they would be:
-Shorter (Maybe 7 or less nodes)
-Easier / Less annoying
-Same amount of rewards

The one thing I did not expect was a general coin farm nerf. And no, another Medici a week (300K coins) does not compensate the nerf.

I sure love to get bronze, silver and gold keys in the treasure node, especially when 100% accursed already gives you one of each.
Diamond prize fights exist. You can get 2 diamond keys per week with them. Add rift coins to buy diamond keys and you'll max out a diamond every month.

Okay. You've reduced the number of Canopy Coins in Daily Events but... What did we get in return?
As I understand it, Daily Events are more of a resource for moves and skill points for now. Wait... Skill points? Really? Maybe you should increase this type of resources in Dailies? It would also be nice for new players, I think.

Okay. You've reduced the number of Canopy Coins in Daily Events but... What did we get in return?
As I understand it, Daily Events are more of a resource for moves and skill points for now. Wait... Skill points? Really? Maybe you should increase this type of resources in Dailies? It would also be nice for new players, I think.
Nah, it should be more than okay like this. We lose a bit of coins (1 milion per week), but it saves us a lot of time (8-9 hours of grind per week). It's a fair trade. Devs also say there will be more ways to grind canopy in the future