• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

RIFT is a joke to new level 70's and why is there no Diamond 5 rank?

ghostR

Reaction score
Feel quite mentally beaten and down after spending the whole day pushing to 1490 score. Only to be cheesed by revenge and long time players.

RANT WARNING

I get it. Diamond 4 is meant to be top 200, but it just feels like there is a shitty gap between Gold 1 and Diamond 4 that can't be filled unless you decide to throw money at the game or if I play for another year plus.

It took all my energy and mental well being to tackle rift and beat level 70's that have their full collection and setup ready, even being the underdog RIFT finds a way to hurt you even more. Because revenging exists, it allows players to get upset by somebody much weaker, come back and ruin everything. That's not even upsetting. I get 25 points for beating somebody and then when I lose I managed to lose 35? to a high streak Diamond 1 player?

I went from 1490 down to 1398 in the last 10 minutes. One player actually even helped me out and got me back to 1478, but then I got hit a few more times. Also wasted 500 Theonite on the whole adventure because I was so excited to try and push for something like Diamond 4 in the game, not going to bother till I have infinite resources and characters at diamond.

Suggestion: Diamond 5. Introduce something like either top 1% or top 1000. A place for those who can get to 1350-1400 and get rewarded, there is such a difference between 1230 and 1350 that it feels like an abyss of pain and suffering.

Rift was fun while it lasted and stale as all hell getting Gold 1 every season. I tried my best but will not be going through this again, was so excited to hit 1490 but guess it is what it is.

Rifts has been problematic since day 1.

The 'idea' is fun, but its execution is not. And Diamond rank, really is just a battle of 'S' tier collections and resources. And the rewards just make the strong get stronger.

There have been many discussions in Discord from long time and enfranchised players on how to 'fix' Rifts.

Like, locking your Rift score but at the cost of no further Rift battles.

Personally, I feel that characters being in your base and still available to attack seems...broken? You either protect your base or attack, not both.

Then the rewards. Maybe skim some rewards from the final ranking and add some 'milestone' rewards for reaching a Rift score for the first time. I mean, breaking 1400 at any point during Rift is no small task, players should be rewarded for such an accomplishment.

When in Diamond rank scores...the pool is much smaller, it's frustrating to go one step forward only to be pushed 2 steps back. I dunno, maybe there should be some HoloDeck teams in that pool...just so that the same players aren't battling each other so often...

Regardless, Rifts needs another overhaul, cuz right now the Rift pools are stagnant and already starting to turn a little septic for the game and players...

Then the rewards. Maybe skim some rewards from the final ranking and add some 'milestone' rewards for reaching a Rift score for the first time. I mean, breaking 1400 at any point during Rift is no small task, players should be rewarded for such an accomplishment.

When in Diamond rank scores...the pool is much smaller, it's frustrating to go one step forward only to be pushed 2 steps back. I dunno, maybe there should be some HoloDeck teams in that pool...just so that the same players aren't battling each other so often...

Regardless, Rifts needs another overhaul, cuz right now the Rift pools are stagnant and already starting to turn a little septic for the game and players...
Im fairly new and have only been level 70 for around 4 months now and it's already gotten old and frustrating. I really like the idea of milestone rewards as I actually pushed 1520 for a bit before getting smacked back down because who can really afford or have resources to build offensive and defensive powerhouses without spending at least two years more after level 70.

I am 100% salty and that's why I made this thread, I just don't get why I get punished for working to take down some crazy rift bases, just to get smacked by a revenge, because of course, they are stronger?

As an example, if I was able to beat htiek, it would be amazing right? Sure, then they just revenge and smack me down to the dirt and boom, zero reward for a ton of effort.

Plus, the whole refreshing thing seems a little too pay-to-win for my liking, I spend money on the game but I had to blow 500 theo just to get that high, only to be shunted in the last 10 minutes.

Im fairly new and have only been level 70 for around 4 months now and it's already gotten old and frustrating. I really like the idea of milestone rewards as I actually pushed 1520 for a bit before getting smacked back down because who can really afford or have resources to build offensive and defensive powerhouses without spending at least two years more after level 70.

I am 100% salty and that's why I made this thread, I just don't get why I get punished for working to take down some crazy rift bases, just to get smacked by a revenge, because of course, they are stronger?

As an example, if I was able to beat htiek, it would be amazing right? Sure, then they just revenge and smack me down to the dirt and boom, zero reward for a ton of effort.

Plus, the whole refreshing thing seems a little too pay-to-win for my liking, I spend money on the game but I had to blow 500 theo just to get that high, only to be shunted in the last 10 minutes.
Well, despite Rifts shortcomings, while SGM is a 'fighting/RPG-gotcha' game, it does have a small bit 'resource management'.

Time in SGM is a very important resource. Saving 'time' comes at a steep cost of Theo. Yes, if you're spending Theo to refresh Rift opponents for more 'beatable' options...well, yeah, you're gonna be salty when you're kicked back down the mountain. Rifts score is a tug of war not a climb like PFs, so a well defended base is just as important as a strong offense. Sorry, but, yes, players that have been playing for 3+ years are gonna have the character roster to reflect that. When you're level 70, there's no more 'freebies' for leveling up, you depend on the in-game resources, and they are finite which make competition for them fierce. As F2P, you have to use resources efficiently to get ahead. If you need to use more resources to reach Dia4 than you would earn...Diamond 4 is just a fancy title at that point.

Pace yourself. I mean, Gold 1 and Diamond 4 rewards aren't that different outside of the Diamond key and shards. If you can lock G1 easily...use that time on mining other resources, grow and level-up your roster/moves/catalysts/etc.

GLHF!

Being level 70 is like arriving to a new invisible category where you are a 70-level 1. There are 70s-level 2 like me... and 70s-level 500 based in variants, movs, collections, catallist, etc.

I haven´t played rifts a while. Just because I don´t play defensive characters. Buuuuuuuut if you aim to the top on the top, the diamonds, you need to grind more resourses, much more, mooore time. You can keep the free to play (Because you... actually can) but it´s wise to be patient and don´t rush in this game: I can say, this is not PtW, because some of the expensive stuff you get paying is not really a heavy lift over other heads, so buying things in SGM is NOT WRONG (Thanks for that we have now Annie, Umbrella and Dhalia), but just don´t waste your theo in rifts.

In the other hand, It´s kinda lame that people enter to rifts and take revenge like 10 minutes before deadline. I would like to see some soft time lock, where if you got attacked in monday, you can take revenge just before maybe... wednesday? And not until the last day. It makes gameplay lazy and rushy in the last time.

PD: I got legend title once, and it was worthy and the feels man. Ask me where I am now?? Rockie. For six months in a row

PD2: Yes, that Leyend thing was a server bug and everyone got leyend, priceless.

There's more of a gap in collection strength between Legend and Gold 2 than there is between a new lvl 70 and a new lvl 1, and that's always going to be the case regardless of how Rift's mechanics are tweaked. But still, I can't help but wonder if the reward structure itself is outdated.

Like, maybe 200 players for Diamond 4 was a decent amount back when Rift 1.0 was first implemented, but I'd bet that number is a much smaller fraction compared to the current player count. Maybe it's time to re-evaluate having a static number be the cutoff for Diamond 4.

Or, like you said, implement new rank(s) between Gold 1 and Diamond 4 to better represent the huge differences in collection strength between different lvl 70 players (2.5% and 1% both feel like good new dividers to add in).

Plus, I feel like we've been discussing for years how much the Diamond Keys as a reward for getting Diamond in Rift really makes the rich get richer since they're tough to come by otherwise. Less so now that we have the Diamond PF with a key at 30%, but still.

Last edited:
Oh boy, sorry you had to experience how crazy the last day of rift week goes in the diamond tier. That’s just the nature of this game mode - it’s been getting more and more competitive, especially with the diamond rank rewards improvement recently. Learn from your experience this week and try again another week.

Some tips:

- don’t attack people who are way stronger than you. You are feeding them free revenge points and it’s just a waste of time. If you want to challenge, clear that base within 10 minutes of reset time so there is no time for them to revenge.

- from what you described, you should focus on leveling your roster and moves so you can get stronger. Stay in G1 and try again when you feel more confident. Just think about the other few hundred other players around your range fluctuating between 1300-1500. If you look at diamond cutoffs each week, the margin is incredibly small between D1 and D4.

- don’t waste your time playing rift until at least Thursday unless you are gunning for top3. The earlier you climb the more likely you’ll be a target for others climbing over the weekend. The safest is to just start 12 hours before reset and play non-stop if you don’t have a strong base.

- Defense is expensive. Top bases are full of dupes (Immoral Fiber, Blue Screen, Plot Twisted, and Splitting Image). At your level you should focus on offense. Get attacker move sets to at least lv12 and swap them around characters. For your defense, work on synergy with Catas and node modifiers.

- Check opponent rosters before you attack. If they have a bunch of low lvl moves then they should be safe. If their defenders are equipped with lv9+ moves you should stay away.

- don’t attack D3 or above unless you can score higher than them. If you can’t score 13.5k then don’t. Refresh until you hit a wall (probably around 1500)

- watch rift videos and learn how to score high. Keith doesn’t have the strongest base in terms of defense even though he’s almost always Legend. He’s top because his offense is flawless, always scoring 13.6k or more against other top players.

We’ve been talking about rift on the forum and discord since the beginning of rift. While there have been major improvements over the years there are definitely still much to desire.

I really like the idea of adding milestone rewards each week so it’s more about playing and the process of climbing rather than this all or nothing final reward.

Other than that, a new batch of catalysts would be nice.

Also I missed the larger 10-node, defense diversity rule of rift 1.0. At least for Diamond rank since we all have the collections to do that.

Finally, sharing a new idea for rift 3.0. Put a focus on defense rewards and utilize community input. What if - the community votes and somehow can select the top100 rift maps? I feel like this could become the “endless tower” mode we’ve been talking about. If your map is selected as one of the 100, you get a reward of some kind for investing in defense and making it challenging each week. Rift then selects 3 maps from the 100 and has 34 floors a week to climb. Last floor just one map, the hardest map. Once you’ve cleared all 34 then no more rift that week. Everyone will have a final total score and the more skillful players will rank higher (probably Keith and other regular top3). You’d still get a “clear” reward for completing every 5 floors or so? Anyways, just random ideas for fun…

Oh boy, sorry you had to experience how crazy the last day of rift week goes in the diamond tier. That’s just the nature of this game mode - it’s been getting more and more competitive, especially with the diamond rank rewards improvement recently. Learn from your experience this week and try again another week.

Some tips:

- don’t attack people who are way stronger than you. You are feeding them free revenge points and it’s just a waste of time. If you want to challenge, clear that base within 10 minutes of reset time so there is no time for them to revenge.

- from what you described, you should focus on leveling your roster and moves so you can get stronger. Stay in G1 and try again when you feel more confident. Just think about the other few hundred other players around your range fluctuating between 1300-1500. If you look at diamond cutoffs each week, the margin is incredibly small between D1 and D4.

- don’t waste your time playing rift until at least Thursday unless you are gunning for top3. The earlier you climb the more likely you’ll be a target for others climbing over the weekend. The safest is to just start 12 hours before reset and play non-stop if you don’t have a strong base.

- Defense is expensive. Top bases are full of dupes (Immoral Fiber, Blue Screen, Plot Twisted, and Splitting Image). At your level you should focus on offense. Get attacker move sets to at least lv12 and swap them around characters. For your defense, work on synergy with Catas and node modifiers.

- Check opponent rosters before you attack. If they have a bunch of low lvl moves then they should be safe. If their defenders are equipped with lv9+ moves you should stay away.

- don’t attack D3 or above unless you can score higher than them. If you can’t score 13.5k then don’t. Refresh until you hit a wall (probably around 1500)

- watch rift videos and learn how to score high. Keith doesn’t have the strongest base in terms of defense even though he’s almost always Legend. He’s top because his offense is flawless, always scoring 13.6k or more against other top players.

We’ve been talking about rift on the forum and discord since the beginning of rift. While there have been major improvements over the years there are definitely still much to desire.

I really like the idea of adding milestone rewards each week so it’s more about playing and the process of climbing rather than this all or nothing final reward.

Other than that, a new batch of catalysts would be nice.

Also I missed the larger 10-node, defense diversity rule of rift 1.0. At least for Diamond rank since we all have the collections to do that.

Finally, sharing a new idea for rift 3.0. Put a focus on defense rewards and utilize community input. What if - the community votes and somehow can select the top100 rift maps? I feel like this could become the “endless tower” mode we’ve been talking about. If your map is selected as one of the 100, you get a reward of some kind for investing in defense and making it challenging each week. Rift then selects 3 maps from the 100 and has 34 floors a week to climb. Last floor just one map, the hardest map. Once you’ve cleared all 34 then no more rift that week. Everyone will have a final total score and the more skillful players will rank higher (probably Keith and other regular top3). You’d still get a “clear” reward for completing every 5 floors or so? Anyways, just random ideas for fun…

Such a quality reply. Thank you for this

I myself is confused with rifts. I am on lvl 42 and Gold 3. Last time I was on silver 2 and I lost two fights and won two and ended up in Gold 3 how?
Moreover can anyone recommend me some catalyst so I invest correctly.

Reactions: Erick Draves
Catalysts advice
🥇 like moves, you want to have Gold only. Sell your Bronzes and only keep Silvers if you are just starting out.
💪 all character-specific catalysts are good (e.g. Futile Resistance for Big Band, Scratching Post for Ms. Fortune). One copy each.
🥜 Darknut only works on newbies. Everyone else will be like "Oh? You want Doublicious Double to be invincible? Sure!"
🌦️ element-specific catalysts are not equal. Water and Light are excellent, while Fire could use some help.
💸 even so, all the element-specific catalysts are not bad and should be invested
👁️ all unspecific catalysts are good except for Tag n' Gag, Special Exception, and Post Haste (they are niche and I rarely use them).
🏰 the goal is to have at least one of everything in gold, half-invested so you can play around with defense options

(since there is no list format option on this forum, I had to use emojis :p )

Catalysts advice
🥇 like moves, you want to have Gold only. Sell your Bronzes and only keep Silvers if you are just starting out.
💪 all character-specific catalysts are good (e.g. Futile Resistance for Big Band, Scratching Post for Ms. Fortune). One copy each.
🥜 Darknut only works on newbies. Everyone else will be like "Oh? You want Doublicious Double to be invincible? Sure!"
🌦️ element-specific catalysts are not equal. Water and Light are excellent, while Fire could use some help.
💸 even so, all the element-specific catalysts are not bad and should be invested
👁️ all unspecific catalysts are good except for Tag n' Gag, Special Exception, and Post Haste (they are niche and I rarely use them).
🏰 the goal is to have at least one of everything in gold, half-invested so you can play around with defense options

(since there is no list format option on this forum, I had to use emojis :p )
I have:
  • High waters and frost armour both gold
  • character specific autoimmune a lot of these
  • Shot in the dark
  • a bunch of bronzes

I have :
[*] Frost Armour
[*] High Waters
[*] Bunch of autoimmunes
[*] shot in the dark
[*] a lot of character heal blocks
[*] bunch of bronzes
Frost Armor and High Waters are current meta, mostly used in 3-fighter nodes with all three fighters being Water based. Throw in Autoimmune, Hexy Time or Curse of Knowledge to make the opponent's life more difficult.

Others are nigh useless, experienced players will work around them with ease.

Try to purchase following Catalysts from the Cabinet if you see them (especially Character-specific variants):

- Last Words
- Into Thin Air
- Blockbusted
- Curse of Knowledge
- Hexy Time
- Scratching Post
- Megalixir
- Return to Sender
- Electrostatic Field
- Don't Poke the Buer
- Wither Forecast (not very powerful but could be annoying)

These are the most used Catalysts right now. Low- and Mid-level players are going to have a lot of troubles dealing with these.

Frost Armor and High Waters are current meta, mostly used in 3-fighter nodes with all three fighters being Water based. Throw in Autoimmune, Hexy Time or Curse of Knowledge to make the opponent's life more difficult.

Others are nigh useless, experienced players will work around them with ease.

Try to purchase following Catalysts from the Cabinet if you see them (especially Character-specific variants):

- Last Words
- Into Thin Air
- Blockbusted
- Curse of Knowledge
- Hexy Time
- Scratching Post
- Megalixir
- Return to Sender
- Electrostatic Field
- Don't Poke the Buer
- Wither Forecast (not very powerful but could be annoying)

These are the most used Catalysts right now. Low- and Mid-level players are going to have a lot of troubles dealing with these.
thanks @Disasterrr19, I have hexy time and curse of knowledge gold (through accolades ) but I lack defensive variants as well.

I have some questions:
1 does rift matchup happens with same levels(till now i have met most around my lvl)?
2 is it necessary to play minimum 5 mini matches?
3 am i doing right starting early without defense relying only on not very op offense or should i wait?

I have some questions:
1 does rift matchup happens with same levels(till now i have met most around my lvl)?
2 is it necessary to play minimum 5 mini matches?
3 am i doing right starting early without defense relying only on not very op offense or should i wait?
1) It is mostly based in Rift Score. If you start on Friday, strong players would most likely be around 1300-1400 score, so you lower the chance of running into them.

2) Yes, I always play 5 matches a week. With my collection I can do it using auto-pilot in an hour while doing something else, 5 wins usually put me in Gold 2 bracket, and the rewards are good for 1 hour of playing.

3) Building offence is extremely important for a beginner. Without good Defenders you can't go far in Rifts, without good Attackers you can't go far anywhere. Focus on Prize Fights to improve your collection, invest in good attacking variants, upgrade some moves with ATK%, DEF%, METER GAIN%, PIERCING%. When you have like 10-12 strong Attackers, you can start investing more in your Defense variants.

One trick that might work is: put your weakest Fighters to your Rift base and aim for a very good attack on others. If you score 13600-13800 points, it would be pretty difficult for your opponent to score more when your defenders die from single hit, robbing them of Blockbuster Finish and Long Combo bonuses.

1) It is mostly based in Rift Score. If you start on Friday, strong players would most likely be around 1300-1400 score, so you lower the chance of running into them.

2) Yes, I always play 5 matches a week. With my collection I can do it using auto-pilot in an hour while doing something else, 5 wins usually put me in Gold 2 bracket, and the rewards are good for 1 hour of playing.

3) Building offence is extremely important for a beginner. Without good Defenders you can't go far in Rifts, without good Attackers you can't go far anywhere. Focus on Prize Fights to improve your collection, invest in good attacking variants, upgrade some moves with ATK%, DEF%, METER GAIN%, PIERCING%. When you have like 10-12 strong Attackers, you can start investing more in your Defense variants.

One trick that might work is: put your weakest Fighters to your Rift base and aim for a very good attack on others. If you score 13600-13800 points, it would be pretty difficult for your opponent to score more when your defenders die from single hit, robbing them of Blockbuster Finish and Long Combo bonuses.
Wallah Habibi, Nice trick.
one more thing brother: How to get high win streak in pfs(i usually go around 15)?

one more thing brother: How to get high win streak in pfs(i usually go around 15)?
Just one single answer - improve your collection.

If it's Diamond PF we're talking about, then you need at least 2-3 Diamond fighters with FS of 15K+ to take down teams scoring 50-60K total. Use a team composition of one strong damage dealer, one good support (like Valentine with Trauma Center Marquee) and one leech fighter you are trying to boost.

Picking specific fighters is usually not required until you face 100K+ teams with meta setups (e.g. Splitting Image+Surgeon General+Model Leader)

Reactions: Art3mes