• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Other Should you play skullgirls?

sillirfour

Reaction score
Hello readers, this is a brief review to what I think is good and bad about SGM and what should be added, reworked or removed, and answering a main question
Should you play skullgirls?

(this is coming from a level 30 with only one diamond lmfao)

Skullgirls mobile is a really fun game with alot of variants and is a collector game, which people who enjoy Pokèmon would like this as it is a very similar game with elements, TONS of buffs and debuffs but today I am going to be going over every flaw and every good thing about this game

Good things

Unique game

This game has a variety of fighters which make the game very unique, unlike other collector games like Touhou Lostword, this is a gacha fighting game, with characters you can collect. The reason why this is different from the others is because the game is challenging in my opinion. For example, there is a feature of this game where it choses a random fighter you have to go against, which makes the game harder.

Good for stimming
Now according to Parasouls VA (?) erinfitzbadass on tiktok, they have stated that they use this game to stim and to calm themselves when they are having a rough time, and the reason why she says this is because this game requires alot of tapping and swiping, which I think some Neurodivergent people will enjoy doing.

Bad things about this game…

Hard to farm Theonite
DISCLAIMER - theres a difference between it being hard to farm Theonite than it being hard to farm chests!!

Theonite is a VERY important part of this game, it is like crystals / gems in a gacha game that you use to pull on banners, relics and chest. And it being hard to farm them makes the game kind of boring, especially since when new characters come out, you wont be able to farm their chest due to them not having a chest yet.

Each prize fight gives around 430 max (correct me if im wrong) and a pull of a banner is 1000
it is very hard to get a milestone in this game according to my friends who do play this game.
So it makes the game to grindy for new people..

Characters Cerebella & Fillia
now theres nothing really wrong about these two characters, the only problem is the fact that cerebella copies double and fillia copies fukua. Now the reason why this is a problem is because Fukua and Double don't have enough creative moves
this could also affect the people who want to play encore but then they realize fillia doesnt have drill of my dreams in he actual game..

So should you play skullgirls?
The answer is yes, I think you should play skullgirls

(excuse everything thats bad about this, this was made by a 15 year old)

Reactions: Scorialimit
Hey there! Very long time player here (I think I started in the second closed beta wave and played on and off for five years), wanted to give you a few notes about what I liked about your review and what could use some fine tuning.

(this is coming from a level 30 with only one diamond lmfao)
I don't think you owe it to disclose your rating, but I will say it's fine to give early impressions cause frankly, that's when the game is most likely to provide entertainment. So don't feel bad about sharing your opinion just cause you might not be as experienced as some people here, if anything consider it a way to show that your insight would be more useful to casual players or people who aren't hyper invested. Admittedly, some of my critiques are likely to come from me knowing the game longer. But my pitch to people would definitely be different form yours (that's not a bad thing, I just want to emphasize that being a "newer" player just makes your opinion different, not worse. Gamer culture will say otherwise, but that always irked me. Game reviews are made for people looking for a review from casual people in my experience.)

This game has a variety of fighters which make the game very unique, unlike other collector games like Touhou Lostword, this is a gacha fighting game, with characters you can collect. The reason why this is different from the others is because the game is challenging in my opinion. For example, there is a feature of this game where it choses a random fighter you have to go against, which makes the game harder.
I think instead of mentioning other gachas, you could spend that time focusing more on what makes the game enjoyable. If somebody hasn't played that gacha, they won't know what you mean, and focusing on that isn't generally helpful to people on the fence as it distracts from the subject of the article. Perhaps talking more about how different characters feel to play, or how important moves are, or even if none of that stuff felt important and if it was fine to use your favorites as how you use them is more important (in your opinion) You could also mention other ways the game challenges you, just as stage specific modifiers (limiting you to specific characters, or applying a buff or debuff every so often).
Good for stimming
Now according to Parasouls VA (?) erinfitzbadass on tiktok, they have stated that they use this game to stim and to calm themselves when they are having a rough time, and the reason why she says this is because this game requires alot of tapping and swiping, which I think some Neurodivergent people will enjoy doing.
So disclaimer on this one: You mentioned you're 15, I'm 28. So there's absolutely a generational gap here and my experience is very likely to be different then yours. I'm going to offer my criticisim, but if you believe it's a non-issue there's a very good chance you know better than I do.

I totally agree with this, and it's pretty cool that you address it! A lot of people don't like bringing up neurodivergent people or anybody with any level of disabilities. While I do appreciate the acknowedgement of neurodiversity, it's rather common to market accessibility as general benefits for everyone. That's a totally different topic that I could go on about for ages, but depending on if you care more about generalizing for everyone or curating to a specific audience, it might be worth your time to phrase accessibility tools in certain ways. For example, you could say "the base gameplay is basic enough that you can generally use this game to decompress on high stress days." There's benefits and harms to this though, so do what feels right to you. Just wanted to offer the information.

(This is also a good point to add a source if you want to look more researched, but that's not really important on an opinion piece imo)

Hard to farm Theonite
DISCLAIMER - theres a difference between it being hard to farm Theonite than it being hard to farm chests!!

Theonite is a VERY important part of this game, it is like crystals / gems in a gacha game that you use to pull on banners, relics and chest. And it being hard to farm them makes the game kind of boring, especially since when new characters come out, you wont be able to farm their chest due to them not having a chest yet.

Each prize fight gives around 430 max (correct me if im wrong) and a pull of a banner is 1000
it is very hard to get a milestone in this game according to my friends who do play this game.
So it makes the game to grindy for new people..
I don't know the math on this one, but you're right that progress is extremely slow! Something I tell people is "gacha games are a marathon, not a race. Progress will be slow." But the early game of SGM is still the slowest of anything I've played so far. There's definitely nuance here but I don't think your target audience will know enough to correct you.
Characters Cerebella & Fillia
now theres nothing really wrong about these two characters, the only problem is the fact that cerebella copies double and fillia copies fukua. Now the reason why this is a problem is because Fukua and Double don't have enough creative moves
this could also affect the people who want to play encore but then they realize fillia doesnt have drill of my dreams in he actual game..
So, this one I do think is worth addressing, because you got the copies pretty wrong honestly. It's true that Cerebella and Double share moves and Filia and Fukua do as well, but you got it backwords in both cases. The vibes you're going for are correct, but Fukua is cannoncially a Filia clone (well, more or less), and Double is an eldlich deity that thrives on transformation. This is one point where you should probably double check which direction it's going... unless your goal is to get lots of comments to improve search engine optimization. I don't suggest that tactic unless you're extremely confident your writing can carry the bait though
That said, you got it right with that last line. Despite playing second encore longer than mobile, I occaionally have to remind myself that Drill is a Fukua move so I don't misinput and get counterhit 😅
So should you play skullgirls?
The answer is yes, I think you should play skullgirls
I think it would be worth it to add who you would suggest skullgirls to. For example, somebody who enjoys fighting games but spends more time on their phone than at a computer. Or somebody who enjoys RPGs but wants something that isn't turn based. Or, somebody that enjoys fighters but wants a new kind of stratety. I think this is a minor detail, but can really show that you know what you're talking about when it comes to the game.

If you enjoy writing reviews I hope this helps you hone your craft and continue on your journey!

Reactions: Nubidubi23