• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Fights Timeout Override

Krazete

Reaction score
It's great that Blockbuster IIIs override timeouts, but it'd be nice if this rule were applied to all moves and attacks.

I recently played the Big Band daily event and in the final node, I landed the finishing blow a split second after time was up (with Filia's Drill Tempered blockbuster) and lost the match to a dead team.

Reactions: Psyche
It used to be like that- at least, with all blockbusters. I’m pretty sure the reason they changed it was that Diva Intervention Eliza could just infinitely spam Sekhmet and never have to worry about a timeout regardless of how long she was actually taking to defeat the opposing team. In my opinion timeouts just need to be changed so that you can win if you’re in the lead. It can be aggravating how much they favor the AI.

It used to be like that- at least, with all blockbusters. I’m pretty sure the reason they changed it was that Diva Intervention Eliza could just infinitely spam Sekhmet and never have to worry about a timeout regardless of how long she was actually taking to defeat the opposing team. In my opinion timeouts just need to be changed so that you can win if you’re in the lead. It can be aggravating how much they favor the AI.
That makes sense if you look at the game as a standard fighting game, but since it's more of an RPG in the mobile version and you only play versus the AI it would be to easy to abuse if you could win just by having more HP than your opponent at the end.
The 3 minute limit is what gives the gameplay some more tension, otherwise you could just turtle all the time and sit out the timer.

Each fight should be approached as a challenge of "defeat your opponent's team in 3 minutes."

Without a time limit, and without the win going to the opponent team on time out, many strategies become very "turtle" oriented. Knocking your opponent away with very under powered Fighters, trying to avoid fighting as much as possible...

While this is console Skullgirls, here's an example of what happened when a lopsided Fight was able to be won through time out:

< VIDEO LINK >

Reactions: Ryouhi
I understand the reasoning behind the "can't win by time out" desicion on this iteration of the game, however, I think it could be better communicated to new players.

First time it happened to me I thought it was a glitch and the next time I was about to drop the game entirely. Of course I'm glad I didn't but it was still a "throw phone into nearest wall" moment.

I understand the reasoning behind the "can't win by time out" desicion on this iteration of the game, however, I think it could be better communicated to new players.

First time it happened to me I thought it was a glitch and the next time I was about to drop the game entirely. Of course I'm glad I didn't but it was still a "throw phone into nearest wall" moment.
Was a little surprised the first time too since i went in with the miindset of it being more of a fighting game but i kind of understood the fact after the first time.
Including it in the tutorial may be still a good idea.

It's great that Blockbuster IIIs override timeouts, but it'd be nice if this rule were applied to all moves and attacks.

I recently played the Big Band daily event and in the final node, I landed the finishing blow a split second after time was up (with Filia's Drill Tempered blockbuster) and lost the match to a dead team.
I think we can have a nice little compromise here if I interpreted OP's suggestion correctly.
What is being proposed is that BB1s and BB2s work in the same way as BB3s in that you cannot time out while they are happening. If the blockbuster fails to kill, then it's game over, but if it was activated with one second left on the clock and it took out the final opponent, then you'd win.

I believe there was a misunderstanding of what exactly @Krazete was talking about.

Reactions: Krazete
I think we can have a nice little compromise here if I interpreted OP's suggestion correctly.
What is being proposed is that BB1s and BB2s work in the same way as BB3s in that you cannot time out while they are happening. If the blockbuster fails to kill, then it's game over, but if it was activated with one second left on the clock and it took out the final opponent, then you'd win.

I believe there was a misunderstanding of what exactly @Krazete was talking about.
Yeah, I have no issue with the way timeouts work 99.99% of the time.

If time's up and the opponent's team is still alive, it makes sense that I failed to defeat them and I lost.
But if time's up and the opponent's team is completely dead, I think I should get the win.

BB3s can override timeouts, why can't BB1s?

Reactions: Irghen and Psyche
So I ran into this issue again. This time, my Painwheel grabbed the opponent's Cerebella at 0:00 and defeated her after the timeout. I have a screenshot of the lose screen showing that Painwheel is the only fighter left standing, but I can't share it here because it happened in the rift beta.

I've tried to recreate and record this scenario (with Filia's Drill Tempered and Painwheel's grab) several times without success; it's quite hard to get the timing right. But when I tested this with Eliza's Nekhbet Breaker, it properly overrides the timeout.

I'm starting to think that what I've experienced is unintended behavior and maybe I should've posted this as an Issues and Bugs thread instead.

---

Edit (2/15/19): Happened again; my Squigly killed the Cerebella with Battle Opera after timeout. I got a screenshot that I can share this time:
IMG_4569.PNG

Edit (2/17/19): And again, killing a Squigly with Eliza's sweep after timeout:
timeout_sweep.PNG

I understand that the time limit is part of the challenge, but if BB3s can override timeouts then I still think regular moves, special moves, and all blockbusters should get the same treatment. Especially since Nekhbet Breaker can override timeouts even though it isn't a BB3. The rule seems inconsistent.

Last edited:
Reactions: rexturtle1120