• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Other Energy on new account

OldNewbie

Reaction score
The energy system is overly restricting for new accounts. I have tree characters, so I get 2 prize fights and at max 5 story fights per day. I loose more then I win, so by the time I get to end of story I wont remember how it started. Other then that, I can train combos on opponent that does not move. So even if I have time to "git gud" to get better, I don't have enough in game time to really learn the system. If I do combos I wants to learn during those fights then am be more likely to loose, get no progress in story, get nothing and spend energy - so I play more to win and less to learn. I normally like not to upgrade my characters to see how far I can get in games, but this system strongly encourages overpowering them before trying to move the story.

Am I really expected to log in multiple times a day to collect relic while knowing that attempting actual fight just for fun would be bad idea? Ok, it is exercise in self control and ability to resist the temptation, but hardly fun. Knowing that these are my last fights no matter how close I am to victory and no matter how good I feel about playing is also incredible joy killer. It makes me think about activity I will be doing after match. Half the time I switch to that other activity, since this one is ending anyway and I seem to be loosing the match, so what is the point.

During my first session I had a lot of energy for some reason, so I did not even realized it is there. At that point, I thought this game could replace Clash Royalle as a game to go to. But then it suddenly started to limit my fights and fun ended. It discourages experimentation, it discourages play when I am tired or in noisy environment and it makes me think about money when I should be thinking about combos and enjoy graphics.

In PC version, I liked to start a fight just so I can admire graphics and sounds I like so much in skullgirls, but that is strongly unreasonable on tablet. Or just to play without really trying to win, because the game is simply fun. If I pay 2$, I get around 100 theonites which means I can refill team three times. That is a bit pricy for long term play and oddly, it is more expensive for beginner (who has only one team) then for serious player (who has more of them and can play more without paying). To compare it, clash royalle allows me to play as many games as I want, but I cease to get rewards for it. I would be fine not getting rewards if I could play.

Maybe this game is really just not for me, but I looked forward to story and I am willing to pay reasonable amount of money - I bought PC version after all. I would be ok with having to unlock chapters, buy characters and what not. But I am not whale kind of player who sinks thousands into game refill by refill. I understand that company needs money etc, but even whales don't pay that much first week they downloaded the game.

I read the argument about not burning out, but a.) that issue appears mostly in games that encourage grind to progress so people grind after it is not fun anymore (Clash Royalle does not have it) b.) I am adult with work and family and simply cant progress a bit every evening. I can progress a lot some evenings, can not at others and I can impulsively steal 5 mins to play here and there in environment when I am likely to be interrupted (e.g. wont start fight if loss costs too much). Some adult friendly mechanism could help for retention of people like me.

I'm honestly surprised you managed to do all of that without leveling SOMETHING up, be it a fighter or your account. Every time your user account levels up you get gold, crystals, and all fighter energy is refilled. When a fighter levels up that particular one gets a full recharge. I know early on I never had any concerns about energy so unless you're just losing a lot (which is understandable if you're having trouble) you should be getting lots of energy to burn on a brand new account.

The other option is that you're trying to grind a Story or Event fight you've already cleared, and that's really unviable if you are. There's a big XP and gold penalty on already cleared stages.

In the beginning it's natural to focus on story mode but prize fights are actually the primary game mode long term, and the fastest way to level up. They also use separate energy from the story and event modes. So I would recommend using PF mode as much as possible to get some extra levels which can help power through the story mode.

Story mode will deliver quite some character relics and theonite which can be used to buy more, and soon you should have a pretty broad roster of fighters which also helps the energy crunch. I play this game way too much and practically never buy energy.

@tom641 I leveled up first three characters, peacock is level 4 now. That gave me enough energy to continue first day. But now I cant level her up more now and frankly, I think that me loosing fights is more of result of me needed to learn more effective blocking, distances at which various attacks make sense, when is special attacks good idea and when it is bad idea etc. Maybe I should have been more strategic about leveling and spend all energy before leveling up again, but that is hindsight that comes with experience.

And that is the thing, my progress is not so much limited by character stats, but by me needing to learn more. I want to learn more. Maybe I can try to delete account and start again as a solution, but I still think that some kind of "fight but get no reward" option for training would be better.

Last edited:
@Vex My team members have 10 energy and prize fight costs 4 energy. So after I lost my two fights, prize fights are done for a day and I cant play them more for that day.

Energy doesn't take a day to recover, it's something like 2-3 hours. (There's a bug at least on iOS though where it doesn't track energy while the app is in the background. Fighting with any character that still shows energy, claiming a relic, or killing the app will update the bars.)

Also it refills both bars (story and prize fight) for the character when it levels up, and for all characters when your account levels up. So sometimes you can fight a little more in a different mode to level up and get refills. :cool:

Reactions: tom641
@Vex Thank you, I will turn off and on the app next time (I played on iOS and app was on background). Through, I cant normally play again after 2-3 hours, I have one block of play time maximum a day unless it is weekend (through there I would still prefer to play continuously once I take tablet to hand). If I am supposed to play a bit every 3 hours, then the game is really not for me.

Thanks anyway, I did not expected to get so helpful answers when I wrote this originally. I will open new account next time I am in mood, try again and deal with energy in more strategic way (will follow suggestions and upgrade only when energy level is down, wont merge fighters etc).

Thanks anyway, I did not expected to get so helpful answers when I wrote this originally. I will open new account next time I am in mood, try again and deal with energy in more strategic way (will follow suggestions and upgrade only when energy level is down, wont merge fighters etc).
I would really not bother with starting a new account. You'll hit the same issue again regardless. If you're limited to only a very small window of time to play you're going to find it slow to progress regardless of how you use your energy. Just keep playing as is. Do not use any theonite to recharge the energy on your characters. Save it and buy new character relics. You might find it slow for a week or two, but as you predicted, it will even out once you've got a few characters under your belt.
If you don't think you'll be able to keep interest that long there's nothing else to do aside from buying a bunch of theonite with real money to speed things along.