• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

"DJINN FRIZZ" - Strategy and Discussion

fanghoul

Reaction score
IMG_2084.jpg

DJINN FRIZZ FILIA
Element:
Fire
Variant: Diamond
Palette: Based on video game character Shantae, the half-genie

Signature Ability
Three Wishes

Every 10 seconds gain 3 random BUFF(S) for 5 seconds.

33% chance when using a BLOCKBUSTER to convert 3 BUFF(S) into permanent ENRAGE.

(Credit to BallotBoxer for the formatting used here)

Okay, a quick review here, since I have her filled out to 9/10 keys:

Djinn Frizz does not appear to be the strongest character, but is a lot of fun in an unpredictable way. The 33% chance of converting to permanent enrages can mean going whole matches without having it activate, or that it will happen the first time you try it. It's a pretty good amount of damage when it activates, and the random buffs are useful even when they don't get converted. Randomly being Invincible or Immune has saved my butt a few times, and getting 5 seconds of Heavy Regen can be a godsend. It's not enough to make her truly and overwhelmingly *powerful* but it's a nice little feature that I enjoy a lot and which doesn't take any extra strategy to use.

Her SA seems like it'd be somewhat annoying when she's on defense, though not enough to really make her "top-tier". The real power of Invincibility and Final Stand debuffs is to make the timer run out in longer battles, and a 5 second buff that only might appear doesn't seem likely to make much difference. Still, with new buffs coming up every 10 seconds, it'll be easy to make a mistake and fire a BB3 or some other big blockbuster just as she suddenly became Invincible, and harder to keep up long combos on her as she might pick up Thorns or Unflinching.

If you have a lot of diamonds to choose from, she might not be the best first choice. But if you have just the one, she seems like she'll serve you decently on either offense or defense, so you shouldn't be afraid to invest in her.

How is she compared to Class Cutter?

How is she compared to Class Cutter?

I don't have a Class Cutter (instead I have 4 Heavy Handeds!), but my impression is that Class Cutter is probably better both on defense and offense. On defense, I've found her an occasional but not frequent bother, what with the heavy bleed and the ability to break through blocks. On offense those two things seem like they'd both also be pretty useful.

Djinn Frizz is probably more goofy fun, what with suddenly going into "Turbo Mode" when all those stacks of enrage kick in, and the occasional exciting and timely combo of 5 second buffs, which *is* more my playstyle. But It'll probably cost me in the long run to have spent all those keys on her rather than a more utilitarian choice. (On the other hand, I pulled 4 Heavy Handeds nearly in a row, so it's not like I have a ton of other Nat. Diamond choices right now.)

Can she convert all buffs to permanent enrage? Like, if she has a Surgeon General support, can the heavy regen and immunity get converted?

Reactions: Yomady
Can she convert all buffs to permanent enrage? Like, if she has a Surgeon General support, can the heavy regen and immunity get converted?

Yes it can be any buff. It might also be the case that after she has 5 stacks she no longer removes buffs from herself, but it's a little hard to confirm a negative like that.

Reactions: Yomady
I don't have a Class Cutter (instead I have 4 Heavy Handeds!), but my impression is that Class Cutter is probably better both on defense and offense. On defense, I've found her an occasional but not frequent bother, what with the heavy bleed and the ability to break through blocks. On offense those two things seem like they'd both also be pretty useful.

Djinn Frizz is probably more goofy fun, what with suddenly going into "Turbo Mode" when all those stacks of enrage kick in, and the occasional exciting and timely combo of 5 second buffs, which *is* more my playstyle. But It'll probably cost me in the long run to have spent all those keys on her rather than a more utilitarian choice. (On the other hand, I pulled 4 Heavy Handeds nearly in a row, so it's not like I have a ton of other Nat. Diamond choices right now.)
Thanks for more insight on her. I don’t have her but have been reluctant to invest in class cutter.

Also have 3 heavy handed... just not going to open diamond relics until they do something about dupes.

Reactions: fanghoul
Djinn frizz hits really really hard, mine’s at level 49, and Im guessing her atk when maxed is gonna be upwards of 14k. Add good atk% move stats. Plus 3 or even 5 perma enrage stacks on top of that!

The buffs are quite helpful sometimes for survival purposes as her main drawback is her pitiful hp, but they also help on offense as you could get haste or enrage.

This character has also given me a chance to finally equip and use a widow’s peak bb with good stats that had been gathering dust in my collection as doing shorter combos with bb’s while the 3 buffs windows last becomes paramount to get the first enrages, but not absolutely necessary since her atk is already so good.

Giving her Atk% and meter gain makes her an atk monster.

Not sure about which marquee to put on her though, they both require maxing (which is 5000 skill points!) to have a better chance and neither works specifically for her: she doesn’t do bleeds through sa but only from moves, and her hp is very low so not a lot to be gained back from leech.

You may be right, xcapibara, and she's actually stronger than I give her credit for. Mine is only level 38 right now. When I was testing some things in training mode she did manage to kick all the enemies there to death surprisingly fast even without bleeds. I can imagine that as I get her higher level her stats might get to the point where she's really impressive. I'm just not there yet.

I also finally got to fight a high level Djinn on defense, and while it wasn't a hard fight, it was really stressful. I knew if I didn't win in a small window that things could go bad very quickly with all those buffs popping up. Tagging her out resets her buff cycle though, so you can have up to another 10 seconds of her without buffs each time she tags in.

Yeah, the more I'm looking at this and playing and fighting her, the more it looks like I underestimated Djinn. I may go back and edit my initial review. It never even occurred to me to compare her attack stat to other diamonds, because Filia's don't have strong attack stats, but holy crap buckets, she's already one of the highest attack characters I have, and will probably be THE highest one I have soon, and that's before the permanent enrages like xcapibara said.

I've tried using her in a few 30-40 streak prize fights now and she's surprisingly effective even then. Debuffs and particularly bleeds are still king, but there's times when that's not an option, so she definitely has a good niche to fill there.

On defense, having fought a couple more high level Djinns, she's still a little random. Often not a problem, but has annoying moments. Having fought a max level Djinn on the boss node though, with the Great Escape catalyst to help her escape combos? It's a really a bad situation. I think I would prefer to fight Bioexorcist, if only because she's at least predictable and not randomly unflinching or invincible or immortal or reflecting my damage back in the middle of the highest stakes fight in the game.

Last edited:
Yeah, the more I'm looking at this and playing and fighting her, the more it looks like I underestimated Djinn. I may go back and edit my initial review. It never even occurred to me to compare her attack stat to other diamonds, because Filia's don't have strong attack stats, but holy crap buckets, she's already one of the highest attack characters I have, and will probably be THE highest one I have soon, and that's before the permanent enrages like xcapibara said.

I've tried using her in a few 30-40 streak prize fights now and she's surprisingly effective even then. Debuffs and particularly bleeds are still king, but there's times when that's not an option, so she definitely has a good niche to fill there.

On defense, having fought a couple more high level Djinns, she's still a little random. Often not a problem, but has annoying moments. Having fought a max level Djinn on the boss node though, with the Great Escape catalyst to help her escape combos? It's a really a bad situation. I think I would prefer to fight Bioexorcist, if only because she's at least predictable and not randomly unflinching or invincible or immortal or reflecting my damage back in the middle of the highest stakes fight in the game.
Krisman has a very high level one in rift and her damage is so high it’s not even funny! Hopefully I can pull one some day.

which marquee do you think would be better for her? I usually think the first cut is the better choice regardless of the Filia, except for her. What do you guys think? Is the high damage thanks to those perma enrages, and thus a better healing with Leech, really better than The First Cut? I mean, for TFC to work you would need to rely on moves everytime... I'm really not sure which one to choose but tbh I'm leaning more towards Leech rn

Reactions: Irghen
Yeah, I've been on the fence for her marquee for 47 levels now and I'm happy I didn't decide for first cut earlier as I'm thinking of dropping French Twist and Gregor Samson for Hairball and snapback leaving her with only 1 bleed move.

I'm just afraid Leech may not help a lot because she's kind of a glass cannon so messing up rarely leaves you in a position to recover but on the other hand sometimes the random buffs help to keep her alive and refilling her HP would be great.

I'd love to know what's everyone else's moveset for Shantae here.

Leech has been helpful because she often rolls last words and you pretty much gain all your health back due to her ridiculous high damage output. Leech also makes her somewhat not need as much block prof because she can gain life back.

I think either MA is viable. It depends what you need and how you prefer to play her. If you have both djinn and class cutter, then it’s kinda boring to have both of them TFC. Also most people already had TFC on BHD, BMF, and Parasite Weave so it’s fun to have a leech variant to play with.

Yeah, I've been on the fence for her marquee for 47 levels now and I'm happy I didn't decide for first cut earlier as I'm thinking of dropping French Twist and Gregor Samson for Hairball and snapback leaving her with only 1 bleed move.

I'm just afraid Leech may not help a lot because she's kind of a glass cannon so messing up rarely leaves you in a position to recover but on the other hand sometimes the random buffs help to keep her alive and refilling her HP would be great.

I'd love to know what's everyone else's moveset for Shantae here.

Much belated, but I've also gone Leech for her. I've got her at lv 59, and if she's not cutting it with damage, then bleeds aren't going to do the job either most times. Her current attack is 15.3K, 24.5K with move modifiers, and I haven't even max leveled her moves.

Given the way Rifts have been evolving, where it's not uncommon to have at least a couple nodes where bleeds are largely not an option, it's good to have a fighter that doesn't specialize in that. Or there's the nodes where there's something like you have to fight Overclocked, but she's going to get stacks of Precision for "To be Precise" every 5 seconds and be unblockable, so killing her before that would be great, and bleed doesn't even come into it. And given that, it's not a bad thing to be able to finish the fights at 100% health. It's also just nice in general to be able to come back from any minor flubs that you might make.

I guess essentially she's a strong enough character that she doesn't really benefit too much from either MA, but she benefits slightly more from Leech it seems.

My move loadout for her is Drill Tempered and Gregor Samson, because they fill up quickly, Widow's Peak, because I have one with good stats and the debuff can help make the damage fatal, and Blowout for meter control. I also have French Twist, just because it's one of those things that's easy to shuffle into a combo to extend it a couple seconds to get the blockbuster into that 5 second window where you want it.

no one has love for Drillationship. :*(

Back when it was possible to chain stuns together infinitely with Parasite Weave it was a go-to move for me. It hasn't really had as much use for me since then though, since it's a bit tricky to chain into and the bonus crit chance isn't quite as vital. I'm really into French Twist at the moment for the extra bleeds it causes. What do you like about Drillastionship?

Reactions: pigpigpigwwf
Back when it was possible to chain stuns together infinitely with Parasite Weave it was a go-to move for me. It hasn't really had as much use for me since then though, since it's a bit tricky to chain into and the bonus crit chance isn't quite as vital. I'm really into French Twist at the moment for the extra bleeds it causes. What do you like about Drillastionship?

Currently, I employ Drillationship with Djinn (Drillationship, Trichobezoar, Gregor Samson, Widow's Peak, Blowout).

This aims to utilize Drillationsihp's ability to dodge and intercept enemy to 1) interrupt enemy attack and 2) activate Djinn's BB in time to capitalize the buff-to-permenant-enrage conversion SA (requires timing due to the short buff duration).

Because of the dodge and intercept (counter?) effect, I find drillationship is also very useful in dangerous situations such as: 1) bella (with Merry Go-rilla) close quarter hit spam and 2) Beowulf hypermode long-reach hit/charge, 3) enemy BB3 fully charged and close quarter hit spam (likely to activate BB3 when you are blocking), etc. Basically any situation you need to break enemy tempo (and perhaps connect with a BB). So I consider Drillationship more of a defense/setup-to-offense transition move, in which Drillationship does smoothly.
Personally, I find having easy control and the ability to interrupt dangerous situation to be invaluable in high-steak PF. Hence Drillationship is perfect for my needs.

Drillationship was not my first pick in the beginning: I aimed for a Hairball.
But then I got a Pierce/Meter/Attack Drillationship, gave it a try, and the rest is history.

Last edited:
Currently, I employ Drillationship with Djinn (Drillationship, Trichobezoar, Gregor Samson, Widow's Peak, Blowout).

This aims to utilize Drillationsihp's ability to dodge and intercept enemy to 1) interrupt enemy attack and 2) activate Djinn's BB in time to capitalize the buff-to-permenant-enrage conversion SA (requires timing due to the short buff duration).

Because of the dodge and intercept (counter?) effect, I find drillationship is also very useful in dangerous situations such as: 1) bella (with Merry Go-rilla) close quarter hit spam and 2) Beowulf hypermode long-reach hit/charge, 3) enemy BB3 fully charged and close quarter hit spam (likely to activate BB3 when you are blocking), etc. Basically any situation you need to break enemy tempo (and perhaps connect with a BB). So I consider Drillationship more of a defensive / setup move.

Drillationship was not my first pick, I aimed for a Hairball.
But then I got a Pierce/Meter/Attack Drillationship, gave it a try, and the rest is history.

That's a good sell. I still have a couple that have good stats and are like lv9 or 12 from the old days so maybe I should dust them off and give them another try at some point.

Reactions: pigpigpigwwf