• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Custom Sprites for the Palette Editor

Can you pretty please make this a custom sprite?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-22 11.15.50 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-22 11.15.50 AM.png
    127 KB · Views: 8
Just wondering, what if the base.png is of the one color, will it work? for example soIMG_20230625_195732.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BallotBoxer

I figured out a method to turn normal sprites into palettized sprites (sprites readable by the Palette Editor) a while ago, around the time Annie was announced. So now that I've got the process down, I'm opening submissions.

View attachment 18335

The Palette File Pipeline​

1. Choose a raw image (raw.png).
  2. Using the raw image, create the linework layer (line.png).
    • Soft edges are allowed. If tracing, use the brush tool. If using selections, turn on anti-aliasing.
    • The script only reads the alpha channel here; it does not use any color information.
  3. Using the raw image, create the base colors layer (base.png).
    • Hard edges are required. Use the pencil tool instead of the brush. For other tools, turn off anti-aliasing and feathering.
  4. Using the base colors layer, create the color areas layer (area.png).
    • Hard edges are required.
    • Different items/materials/areas should be different colors.
    • If colors match in this color map, they will match forever. (E.g. if the hat and the skin are both colored #A1B2C3 in your area.png submission, then the hat will always be skin-colored in the Palette Editor no matter what.)
    • If you're picky about color IDs, encode them in the red channel. See this reply for more info.
  5. Submit the layers (raw.png, line.png, base.png, and area.png) in a reply to this post.
    • I will input it into create_sprite.py and upload the result to the Palette Editor.
Alternatively, instead of raw.png and base.png, you may submit a highlights layer (highlight.png) and a shadows layer (shadow.png) .

Here are some sample PSD files of sprites I've converted: Google Drive Folder

Step 4 requires a bit of coordination since all sprites of a single character would need matching color areas and matching color IDs. For existing characters, you can reference the Palette Editor (click on a sprite and you'll see the corresponding color ID as a circled number in the sidebar).
5.2.0 update: Apparently, official color IDs can change. So I guess it's not important to stay consistent with them in your submissions.

See my replies below for example submissions.
Just wondering, what if the base.png is of the one color, will it work? for example soIMG_20230625_195732.jpg

Reactions: Krazete
I wonder if this false color map is good enough
Just wondering, what if the base.png is of the one color, will it work?
Yeah, you can easily make the necessary layers with these two references.
  • raw.png: use the monochrome image.
  • base.png: take the monochrome image, remove the lines and bg, and flatten the gray (so it'll be #CBCBCB everywhere).
  • area.png: take the color map image, remove the lines and bg, and clean up the colors.
  • line.png: use magic wand to isolate the lines.
Then just make sure everything's lined up and submit the layers here.

Marie, in pieces:

marie-area.pngmarie-highlight.pngmarie-line.pngmarie-raw.pngmarie-shadow.pngmarie-base.png
Marie area, highlight, line, raw, shadow, and base. The marie-shadow.png may be a bit rubbish as I'm uncertain if it needs finesse or will it set at a blending mode below the line layer. I'm not sure what you mean by flatten the gray (it was mainly #CBCBCB already).

Last edited:
For the color area layer, it's better if the colors are touching. No gaps. (This is optional, but if left as is, clicking the eyebrow in the Palette Editor will select the background instead of the face.)
it was mainly #CBCBCB already
For the base color layer, make it a single solid color. No shading, no highlights, no detail, no gaps. Just one huge gray blob that's completely #cbcbcb. (Again, the no gap thing is optional if you really don't want to put that much effort into it.)
The line layer is perfect.
The raw layer is perfect. Background removal wasn't necessary but that doesn't matter.
I don't need the highlight and shadow layers. My script generates these from the raw and base layers.

Reminder that there are several sample submissions in the first few replies to this thread.

For the color area layer, it's better if the colors are touching. No gaps. (This is optional, but if left as is, clicking the eyebrow in the Palette Editor will select the background instead of the face.)

For the base color layer, make it a single solid color. No shading, no highlights, no detail, no gaps. Just one huge gray blob that's completely #cbcbcb. (Again, the no gap thing is optional if you really don't want to put that much effort into it.)
The line layer is perfect.
The raw layer is perfect. Background removal wasn't necessary but that doesn't matter.
I don't need the highlight and shadow layers. My script generates these from the raw and base layers.

Reminder that there are several sample submissions in the first few replies to this thread.
maybe it fits?raw.pngline.pngbase.pngarea.png

After two years, the first successful submission! Thanks to both of you.
Marie has been added to Custom section of the Palette Editor.

Last edited:
Sorry, You could make this image of Dahlia editable? I would appreciate it very much since I do not know how to do it and a friend and I wanted to be able to edit Dahlia and her bunnies IMG_20230708_124944.jpg

Hey there, I want you to make the bunnies of Black Dahlia editable since I want to and suck at editing the palettes so pls do these bunnies. FopOxlyX0AAgr8F.png

Here's my attempt at making Venus for the palette editor. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Attachments

• line-Venus.png
    line-Venus.png
    88.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Area_Venus.png
    Area_Venus.png
    19 KB · Views: 17
  • Base_Venus.png
    Base_Venus.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Raw_Venus.png
    Raw_Venus.png
    267.2 KB · Views: 20
That's some serious sprite work! Kudos for figuring out the process. 💪 If I ever dive into palette editing, I'll definitely keep this in mind. Thanks for sharing the pipeline! 🎨🕹️😄
Thank you! While the process wasn't that confusing, i'm hoping it's correct! Already got some other characters ready

Here's my attempt at making Venus for the palette editor. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Beautiful. An actual submission instead of a request.

• It'd be a good idea to go into line.png and outline her pupils.
  • In area.png, her arm on the right matches her torso. I fixed it so it matches her other arm instead.
  • Nitpick: Your area.png could be cleaner, but all the mess is hidden under the line layer so it's fine.

Thanks for the second valid submission so far! I've added it to the website.

Thank you so much for accepting it! After trying it I fixed the pupils and the area layer. Now knowing how to create them i'll see who else i can make.

Attachments

• Line_10_11_Venus.png
    Line_10_11_Venus.png
    89.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Raw_10_11_Venus.png
    Raw_10_11_Venus.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 6
Also got this Minette try finished. Please do tell about any possible changes. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• Area_Minette.png
    Area_Minette.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Base_Minette.png
    Base_Minette.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Raw_Minette.png
    Raw_Minette.png
    243.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Line_Minette.png
    Line_Minette.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 9
Had no internet, so I was able to finish Feng too. If anything is wrong please let me know.

Attachments

• Area_Feng.png
    Area_Feng.png
    84.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Base_Feng.png
    Base_Feng.png
    80.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Raw_Feng.png
    Raw_Feng.png
    962.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Line_Feng.png
    Line_Feng.png