• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

OFFICIAL: 1.4.0 Update Notes (LIVE!)

MightyZug

Game Director
Hidden Variable Dev
Reaction score
Website
www.hiddenvariable.com
UPDATE (9/4): 1.4.1 is now LIVE!

UPDATE (8/30): 1.4.0 is currently in QA with LINE. Final release date is TBD, but the most likely release dates (pending LINE then Apple approval) is either Friday (9/1) or Sunday (9/3) PST. Looking forward to releasing it ASAP!

The new 1.4.0 update will be going LIVE within the next couple of weeks. Notes on the changes you can expect below!

SIGNIFICANT PERFORMANCE AND STABILITY OPTIMIZATIONS
  • We’ve spent a significant amount of time and energy reworking and optimizing our existing systems and memory usage to hopefully increase stability and performance across all devices
  • There are still additional optimizations we plan to make, but this should be a significant step in the right direction

DAILY LOGIN BONUS

• Now, every day that you login, you get a free reward!
  • Rewards include Coins, Theonite, Move Relics, Premium Relics and - if you login for 24 days in a given month, you will receive a new SILVER LINING Relic that guarantees a Silver Fighter with DOUBLE the odds of getting a Gold (compared to the Shard to Get Relic)
hpxWkAGh.jpg

ORIGIN STORIES - BIG BAND
This is a story all about how Ben Birdland’s life got flipped, turned upside down...

nVKNgz4h.jpg

• Like Peacock’s Origin Story:
    • Requires Player Level 20 to Unlock
    • Every Fight within an Origin Story requires that you use a Fighter of that story’s character type
    • Origin Stories are NOT EASY, especially in Advanced and Expert mode. Get ready for a challenge!
  • UP NEXT: Painwheel, Valentine, and many more!
ECONOMY ADJUSTMENTS
  • Beowulf Fighters & Moves Added to Standard Relics
    • You can now get Beowulf Fighters and Moves from the standard non-exclusive Relics (Premiere, Shard to Get, Bronze/Silver/Gold Move Relics, etc)
  • Better Theonite > Canopy Coin Exchange Rate
    • We have increased the “BONUS” Canopy Coins you can get by trading in Theonite by 300%:
      • 40 Theonite → 8,000 Canopy Coins
      • 120 Theonite → 27,000 Canopy Coins (was 25,000)
      • 280 Theonite → 80,000 Canopy Coins (was 64,000)
      • 640 Theonite → 224,000 Canopy Coins (was 160,000)
      • 1,600 Theonite → 620,000 Canopy Coins (was 420,000)
  • Replaced $29.99 HC IAP with $19.99 IAP
    • There is now a new $19.99 USD IAP that grants 1,225 Theonite (the $29.99 USD IAP has been removed)
  • Increased Max Move Cap
    • The maximum number of moves increased from 300 to 400
    • We plan to allow players to increase this cap via Theonite in the future, but in the meantime - hopefully this helps to alleviate some of the Move Cap pressure
NEW MEDICI PRIZE FIGHTS
We have added two new types of Medici Prize Fights (in addition to the one every weekend). These events will alternate weekly:
  • Bonus Medici Shakedown
    • Every other week, there will be an ADDITIONAL 48 hour Medici Prize Fight in the middle of the week (Wednesday/Thursday)
    • This event will have a new modifier, but the same rewards as the weekend event
  • New 24-hour Medici Event
    • Every other week, one day will feature a 24-hour Medici Event (ex: Medici Heist) that offers the same amount of Canopy Coins as a Medici Shakedown event, but in half the time!
    • These events will feature one-sided (opponent only) modifiers that are more challenging than Medici Shakedown
    • In addition to Canopy Coins, you can also earn Gold Move Relics as Milestone and final rewards (for the Top 100 players)
GENERAL COMBAT UPDATES
NOTE: All these changes apply to players as well as AI opponents
  • Increased Blockbuster Tier 3 Meter Requirements
    • We have increased the amount of meter it takes to trigger a BB3 by 25%
    • This is NOT intended to be the be-all-end-all solution to BB3 balancing, but rather a short term step in the right direction pending other adjustments. Stay tuned!
  • Special Move Damage Revisions
    • After getting some reports of Special Move damage not lining up with their listed tier, we did some investigation and found a number of issues that were causing those values to not be aligned
    • We have made a pass on all Special Moves in the game to ensure that they now properly align to their damage tier - specifics on which moves were affected in the Character section below
  • Disable Modifier Updates
    • Fixed a bug where the Disable modifier would not properly freeze Move access or cooldown
    • When DISABLED, Special Move, Blockbuster, and Tag In icons will now feature a LOCK icon
  • Modifier Timers will Pause during Blockbuster Startup Frames
    • All Modifier Timers will be paused during the SuperFlash that triggers at the beginning of BBs to allow more time for pre-Blockbuster modifiers to apply during the Blockbuster animation
  • Fight Timer will Pause during Blockbusters
    • The Fight Timer will now pause during Blockbusters
    • This also means that a fight will not 'time out' until after Blockbuster moves have finished
  • Blockbuster Queueing
    • You can now queue a Blockbuster to fire during an existing Blockbuster
    • NOTE: Your opponent may still have the opportunity to perform another action in between (Tag Out, a Blockbuster of their own, etc)
  • AI Improvements
    • After successfully blocking a BB, enemies should block for the remainder of the BB. This was most noticeable versus moves like Argus Agony, where the AI would block the laser, then charge into the “bullets”. :p
    • Fixed some issues with irregular AI blocking behavior
  • Random Modifier Lists Updated
    • Any event that triggers "Random" modifiers (ex: OFF TEMPO, EVIL PRESENCE or THOUSAND PLAGUES), now includes SLOW, HEAL BLOCK, HASTE, and LAST STAND)
  • Daily Events - First Aid Modifier Adjustment
    • The First Aid modifier (present in many Daily Event fights) has been changed from granting Heavy Regen permanently after the Fighter drops below 10% to granting Heavy Regen for 10 seconds if the Fighter is below 10%
  • Misc Fixes
    • Fixed bug where fighters would 'teleport' back several steps at the start of the fight
    • Stun logic updated so that characters can be stunned immediately after a given stun expires
    • Standardized Stagger hit reaction animation duration
    • Fixed bug that prevented the DEFENSE % stat from being properly capped at 50%
CHARACTER SPECIFIC UPDATES
  • Beowulf
    • SM Wulf Blitzer damage reduced by 20%
    • SM Wulf Shoot damage increased by 20%
    • SM Gigan Arm Sweep damage reduced by 20%
    • Penguin Referees may now make an appearance under particular fight completion circumstances
  • Big Band
    • SM Brass Knuckles damage reduced by 20%
    • Epic Sax’s Circular Breathing SA can now trigger "Heavy Regen"
    • Fixed issue with 1st level of Private Dick’s Stunning Performance SA that would cause him to stun himself by accident
    • Fixed bug where the camera would continue to follow enemy character's movements if BB1 Beat Extend move was interrupted
    • Fixed issues with Big Band’s Dash attack (after unlocking his Character Ability) to prevent unintended Unflinching status after connecting with the attack
  • Cerebella
    • SM Merry Go Rilla is now punishable during its recovery
    • SM Merry Go Rilla is now listed as LOW damage instead of MED
    • Fixed non-progression that can occur when Cerebella dies while performing SM Battle Butt attack
  • Eliza
    • SM Chaos Banish damage increased by 33%
  • Filia
    • SM French Twist damage increased by 60%
    • Increased reliability of BB2 Widow's Peak
    • Increased reliability of BB3 Fenrir Drive to help ensure that it never whiffs
    • Fixed issue that would cause Filia’s Crit Rate to drop to 0% after successfully Evading an attack via her Character Ability
  • Painwheel
    • SM Violet Grudge damage increased by 60%
    • SM Pinion Dash damage increased by 33%
    • SM Cruel Lily damage increased by 15%
    • SM Gae Bolga Stinger damage reduced by 20%
    • Increased reliability of BB2 Fracture Reaper (including while enemy is already launched)
  • Parasoul
    • SM Egret Moto damage reduced by 33%
    • Improved reliability of BB2 Canopy Bounce
  • Peacock
    • SM Boxcar George damage reduced by 20%
    • SM Air Show George damage reduced by 20%
    • SM George’s Day Out is now listed as LOW damage instead of MED
    • BB1 Argus Agony is now invincible until the initial laser fires
  • Valentine
    • SM Dead Cross damage increased by 5% (GAME CHANGER)

Last edited:
UX IMPROVEMENTS
  • Missions - Main Menu Button
    • Missions now have their own button on the Main Menu!

GPGr2Bih.jpg

• Missions - Auto Pop-up on Startup
    • If you start a new session and your Missions have been refreshed, you will be greeted with the Missions Pop-Up:
yg8KHqph.jpg

• Prize Fight Streak Indicator
    • By popular demand, you can now see your current Prize Fight Streak on the Team Selection screen before you’ve committed to selecting your team:
AtaMlIjh.jpg

• Daily Event Previews
    • We now show the next 3 Daily Events in the queue to tease upcoming events
iJePY5Qh.jpg

• Relic Loot Table Preview
    • Added potential Beowulf, Eliza and Parasoul Fighters and Moves to the Top Loot listing for standard relics to avoid confusion
  • Beowulf’s (Previously) Lonely Relic
    • Beowulf’s Relic will now show at the top of the Relic list when it is active/available
OTHER FIXES & IMPROVEMENTS
  • Energy Regeneration on Suspend
    • Fixed issue that would prevent Energy from regenerating when suspending the app
  • Team Select Screen Crash
    • Fixed issue that would cause a non-progression when hitting FIGHT from the Team Select screen
  • Initial Download Text
    • Now includes bios of your favorite Skullgirls characters!
  • App Icon Tweaks
    • Zoomed out a bit, fixed some issues with Valentine’s collar
As always, please share your feedback about what changes you like, and what you’d like for us to add next. We’re listening!

Daily logins and the streak preview is a nice add on to the game.
Something I would like to see added is an option to sell a move when you obtain it, instead of having to go into collections. And you've already mention that the next next update may have stat previews for moves when we get them.
Thanks for the update and the game.

Will the last hit of fracture reaper connect with big band now?

Reactions: Luke
I'm assuming the new Daily Login Rewards replace the daily relics?
If so that's definitely a great improvement to make daily login more worth it, though personally i still don't have much use for bronze moves and silver moves, so i'd like to see some alternatives for players with a higher player level in the future perhaps. Definitely promising.

More coins! More QoL! More Performance! Definity a nice update despite the lack of a new character

With the changes to Merry Go Rilla and Georgie's Day Out: does this mean the moves will deal less damage in 1.4.0 than they do now? Will they be getting a chance to add a debuff as compensation? Right now, every character has a special move that has no chance to apply any debuffs but does medium damage. Is every character going to get those kinds of moves changed? If not, why are Cerebella and Peacock specifically being changed?

Whoo! I took a break from playing while waiting for a bug fix patch, but this goes above what I was hoping for! Can't wait to get back into SGM again!

Still, can't wait for the day when you guys fix Eliza's grab...

With the changes to Merry Go Rilla and Georgie's Day Out: does this mean the moves will deal less damage in 1.4.0 than they do now? Will they be getting a chance to add a debuff as compensation? Right now, every character has a special move that has no chance to apply any debuffs but does medium damage. Is every character going to get those kinds of moves changed? If not, why are Cerebella and Peacock specifically being changed?
Probably because they can reach pretty high damage numbers and for MGR it also breaks block

Probably because they can reach pretty high damage numbers and for MGR it also breaks block
As far as that move archetype goes (Med damage moves that deals all its damage in one hit), Painwheel has a similar move (Pinion Dash) which is actually getting a damage boost. Eliza's Throne of Isis is getting no changes. I just am confused as to what it means for the damage tier to go from Med to Low, if that means it will actually change the damage values, and why those two are the only ones getting this particular kind of treatment. Wulf Shoot goes through block, but the notes say it will not be reclassed as a Low damage move (even if it's getting nerfed).

As far as that move archetype goes (Med damage moves that deals all its damage in one hit), Painwheel has a similar move (Pinion Dash) which is actually getting a damage boost. Eliza's Throne of Isis is getting no changes. I just am confused as to what it means for the damage tier to go from Med to Low, if that means it will actually change the damage values, and why those two are the only ones getting this particular kind of treatment. Wulf Shoot goes through block, but the notes say it will not be reclassed as a Low damage move (even if it's getting nerfed).
I'm assuming Devs have Data about Winrate and whatnot which is usually used as a metric for balance changes in game development

I'm assuming Devs have Data about Winrate and whatnot which is usually used as a metric for balance changes in game development

I doubt the game has some sort of built in tracker on winrate. Maybe they can pull some data from the servers about which fighters are played more often but that would still be inconclusive when deciding balance.

So far the metric for balancing is: "if we hear a lot of complaints about something, we'll change it". (Within reasonable limits of course)

A lot of players complained about the AI being too hard, then they made it easier.

A lot of players complained about Sekhmet Mode being too underwhelming, then they made her better with longer hitstun and unblockable charge attack.

A lot of players complained about Epic Sax being overpowered, and then he was nerfed.

A lot of players wanted more storage space for moves and a way to see streaks in team select. And now we'll be getting that in 1.4.0.

Reactions: Boogiepop
With the changes to Merry Go Rilla and Georgie's Day Out: does this mean the moves will deal less damage in 1.4.0 than they do now?

Both moves got nerfed in the last patch and I think they're just updating the label now, this is mentioned in the notes before the character specific stuff starts. Damage was reduced because they were widely regarded as being too good. Cymbal clash was the other too-good move but it got its stun rate reduced instead of damage.

In hindsight I think those nerfs worked out pretty well. Cymbal clash can still be pretty insane but you have to really invest in it, and MGR and GDO are still very good moves but it's conceivable to use something else (which would have been hard to justify before)

All in all sounds like a great patch and the players are really being heard. It's a little strange that they're nerfing a few moves I never see anyone use though (Boxcar George?)

Last edited:
At last! I don't know why Cerebella had invincibility frames while doing and after missing MGR o_O she never needed them

Reactions: Boogiepop
At last! I don't know why Cerebella had invincibility frames while doing and after missing MGR o_O she never needed them
Sounds like she still has them on startup, changelog only mentions punishing its recovery.

Both moves got nerfed in the last patch and I think they're just updating the label now, this is mentioned in the notes before the character specific stuff starts. Damage was reduced because they were widely regarded as being too good. Cymbal clash was the other too-good move but it got its stun rate reduced instead of damage.

In hindsight I think those nerfs worked out pretty well. Cymbal clash can still be pretty insane but you have to really invest in it, and MGR and GDO are still very good moves but it's conceivable to use something else (which would have been hard to justify before)

All in all sounds like a great patch and the players are really being heard. It's a little strange that they're nerfing a few moves I never see anyone use though (Boxcar George?)

Huh, really? I use Boxcart George, but then I'm not sure I follow conventional wisdom on what moves to use with some characters.

If it's just a label update, I guess I'm ok with that. Honestly if the last patch saw those moves nerfed, I hardly even noticed. I will say, though, that it will bug me that only two characters will no longer have a move of the "Med damage, no debuff" archetype, but I guess for balancing it's good.

Sounds like she still has them on startup, changelog only mentions punishing its recovery.
Correct, she still has strike invincibility during the startup of MGR.
With the changes to Merry Go Rilla and Georgie's Day Out: does this mean the moves will deal less damage in 1.4.0 than they do now?
This is just a UI update to go along with the following:
Special Move Damage Revisions
  • After getting some reports of Special Move damage not lining up with their listed tier, we did some investigation and found a number of issues that were causing those values to not be aligned
  • We have made a pass on all Special Moves in the game to ensure that they now properly align to their damage tier - specifics on which moves were affected in the Character section below
The damage on these two moves should be the same as 1.3.0 :)

It's strange they choose to buff really weak skills like Dead Cross by 5% and kinda funny they are calling it a "game changer", i get it.

But why do they choose to leave Cerebella's "Diamonds are Forever" skill unchanged? This skill hits for 21k damage or sometimes 25k damage and seems so unfair sometimes in fights...

So is it a new character every 2 months now?

The changes seem okay and I like how they finally increased the move cap. Well done! Players are no longer punished for having over 50 gold characters now, can finally purchase some more relics :3