• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

OFFICIAL - 5.1 Update Notes - Umbrella's Full Release!

Due to me being away from the internet for a while I could not express my thoughts on the most recent update. As a result this means I may be repeating what others have said about the update. This will be a long complaint read for more detail.

TLDR Remove the ticket entry to dailies, holodeck and accursed experiments and allow re-entry to charter daily after final completion/skip for extra farming. Tickets should only be used as a “boost“ or a skip

To begin I love the changes brought to rift battle and the prize fight playlist. Starting with the prize fight being able to report certain profiles in the defense history is amazing. Next the rift changes may allow me to get diamond rank when I normally put in enough work to achieve Gold 1. There are other things that I like about the rift changes but I am pretty sure that many others have given praise for those specific changes.

Moving on, the implementation of the tickets and being able to use them to skip any difficulty of a daily event is nice, however I don’t like that we must use the tickets to enter a daily event as well as holodeck hazards and accursed experiments.

Before the update my general Skullgirls Mobile routine would start with me completing accursed experiments. Then I would complete the master and expert daily depending on the day and which character is available. I would then start the character prize fight that’s available and fight until I have no more energy. After I would go to holodeck and complete two nodes of the master difficulty. In which I would have to wait for my energy to recharge. After this I will either do some rift battles with the intention of reaching Gold 1 or watch two episodes of a 24 minute show. And that passes enough time for my energy to recharge. Which allows for more fights in the prize fight then two fights in holodeck. Once holodeck is complete I will just play the character prize fight.

Now with these changes in place I will be forced to choose between playing the expert or master mode of a daily event , holodeck hazards, or accursed experiments. Of course I could miss out on days and save tickets to use on certain events but, I would rather just be able to enter any event when I choose and use the tickets to skip for extra rewards. Removing the entry fee will also let some players test to see if they can handle the master mode daily, holodeck or accursed experiments without wasting a precious resource as a ticket.

With that said if I need a blockbuster, special move, or some skill points I would enter back into the already 100% daily master difficulty event and farm a node for those resources. This new system stops this farm from being able to take place. I understand that this update to the daily event offers more moves, skill points, and coins depending on the amount of tickets you have but I would still like the opportunity to farm if I don’t get a move with stats I want or if I need more skill points. I can also farm coins in a way by selling the moves I acquire that don’t have the proper stats.

The best way to change this is that your first completion, no matter the difficulty, will stay at 100% whether you skip or do it manually. And then you can use the tickets you have left to gain extra rewards via skipping. This will still allow you to enter back in to the difficulty and farm like before the update while still being able to get more rewards. The only downside is that the people won’t be able to gain experience due to the mode not resetting.

Regarding the change that came to holodeck hazards which increased the value from 1.5 to 2.5 to yield more exp. If that was done for the sole purpose of making the entry fee worth it I would rather have the previous values of holodeck so we can enter freely. Although the new values may be worth it I would rather use the ticket for moves and coins. As for the exp I would use a double exp and grind prize fights instead. I suggest that holodeck should have free entry into the event. The free entry will have the values before the update took place (1.5). And if you want the new value of 2.5 you would use a ticket to “boost” the event to that value. Whether the boost will change all the difficulties or a single difficulty will be left to the developers to make that decision. Regardless of that this change will make the tickets useful for holodeck while still removing the barrier to entry.

As for accursed experiments the entry fee isn’t worth it because diamond character prize fight and Medici prize fight exist. I would rather use my tickets to skip and acquire moves and coins then to enter accursed experiments for a chance at a diamond key and 150,000 coins. This is only because I can acquire 250,000 coins which is more than 150, 000 in the Medici prize fight. I can also score high enough in the diamond prize fight to get a diamond key. This implementation of the entry fee also stops newer players from testing the waters like I mentioned before.

Now I understand that the tickets force you to prioritize certain daily events. But it is much more limiting than the old system that we had before. If the barrier to enter into the events are removed and they change the system to how I mentioned they should keep the daily ticket gain at three with a limit of four. This way on the weekend the only thing you would miss out on is the boosted holodeck and extra rewards in certain character events depending on how you use you tickets. And it will still make you choose the days in which you want more rewards or experience on.

The removal of the entry fee will also allow for the player to make more coin, moves, etc. than the developers are comfortable with. They can do this by completing the master and expert daily manually. And then using the tickets to get more rewards. So the number of tickets can be adjusted based on how much a player can potentially make within a week.

Although I did give ideas on how to utilize and change the ticket system it is still the developers choice at the end of the day. I appreciate anyone who took the time to read this long complaint explaining what I like and dislike about the update and what could be changed. I look forward to seeing what decision is made by the developers regarding this update.

Last edited:
How does everyone feel about the new Rift system?

I found it a disappointing slog squashing weaklings. 15 battles in, I was still finding level 40-50 opponents. People with no catalysts, confused defenses (e.g. Peacock-only catalyst for a Fukua defender, support Valentine on point, etc.), and in-progress collections. It is boring and I feel mean for punching them down.

hi would you like to discuss variants good for this upcoming prize fight? i am interested!
Come over to the Slots o' Fun thread to see which fighters fair better than others (Djinn Frizz Filia, given RNG cooperation, may be the best after Vaporwave Vixen Fukua).

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Art3mes
How does everyone feel about the new Rift system?
Not enough data to honestly make a final opinion. Though I havent gone far. I do the usual last minute thing and by then its a lot of weak opponents. But with the reset tiers that probably wont be a problem for long!

I found it a disappointing slog squashing weaklings. 15 battles in, I was still finding level 40-50 opponents. People with no catalysts, confused defenses
Hopefully it shouldnt be too long before the dust settles and everyone gathers around a comfy tier. Even then there will always be those people who grind into a high place. And they will grow stronger.

So far it's been refreshing to punch down instead of facing almost only players with maxed diamonds nodes when my strongest are only a maxed gold and maxed silver evolved to diamond, but I can't imagine it being great for the people I'm punching, if they still play. I was expecting things to be a bit more balanced than this, but now I have a chance to climb without swimming though mud.

Reactions: BallotBoxer
Okay so after reading the update notes i thought something was a little strange about the rift duplicate fighting system. It wasn’t until I actually played rift I figured out the attackers are punished more then the defenders. Here’s what I mean.

People complained about duplicate fighters being in rift but the real problem is there are too many duplicate META fighters i.e immoral,blue screen,model etc. No one complained about using the same attackers I get there has to be a trade off. But why is the trade off more severe for the attackers then it is for the defenders?

Rift is a point based system the more points you have the higher chances of you defeating your opponent. So why is it attackers get less points for using duplicate fighters instead of defenders? It should be the opposite. Modifiers In rift give each node more HP Although it doesn’t specify 25-50% of what be reduced I think it’s safe to say the total. Def gets reduced too but what’s stopping people from building moves or blockbusters with more def? I currently have 3 big band moves set that has def way over 50%. Which means I can use two sets of BB load outs to get my def to 90% once cut in half I still have a def of 45% this still using duplicate fighters in theory.

Now as it stands I get punished severely (1k points) if I want to use to silent kills to take out a grudge pain wheel node. I use the word severely because rift is based on a point system as mentioned above. My entire goal is to get the most points as possible losing 1k is not easy to get over. This in some way makes building duplicates redundant. I know you can build dupes for Pf but the endgame for every player is rift wether you want to believe it or not.

I think the system should be opposite, So dupe defenders lose points (like the old days) and dup attackers get low hp and def. Or you can just give both hp and def negatives. And I know if we go back to the old days it doesn’t make sense to build dupe fighters. That’s kinda my point. If we’re going to be punished for using dupe fighters then why have them in the first place?

My whole point is the update to rift didn’t fix any problems it only added some. The REAL problem that still remains is water element in rifts are still OP. Every week I see 3-4 nodes with water meta. Until that gets reworked or other elements get upgraded to include a more diverse lineup this update doesn’t change a thing. Until then Water element will remain supreme.

People complained about duplicate fighters being in rift but the real problem is there are too many duplicate META fighters i.e immoral,blue screen,model etc. No one complained about using the same attackers I get there has to be a trade off. But why is the trade off more severe for the attackers then it is for the defenders?
I believe there is some truth to this. 50% penalty for dupe defenders may only be noticeable in the higher ranks. I think for people who are still in the process of building counters and optimizing their moveset, the problem of dupe defenders don't go away as much. Two Model Leaders with optimal builds are still hard to beat for these players, even with the 50% penalty unless you have an optimal offensive build for counters like X-Bot.

Imo, the core issue is Move RNG that prevents players to build optimally for counters. Meta has also been the same for over a year with Water and Light being very dominant. This is true. Hopefully more meta shake-ups through new catalysts or catalyst reworks will come soon.

Def gets reduced too but what’s stopping people from building moves or blockbusters with more def? I currently have 3 big band moves set that has def way over 50%. Which means I can use two sets of BB load outs to get my def to 90% once cut in half I still have a def of 45% this still using duplicate fighters in theory.
I don't think this is a problem though. Sure you can build 90% def for some reason, but you're losing out on HP and Resistance in that case. And with Piercing being a thing, the penalty is quite significant. Again, this is assuming you're using optimal attackers with maximum ATK and Piercing.

My entire goal is to get the most points as possible losing 1k is not easy to get over. This in some way makes building duplicates redundant. I know you can build dupes for Pf but the endgame for every player is rift wether you want to believe it or not.
That's the main intention. The changes to Rift are in place to severely discourage duplicates. This is also in line with the Prestige Ability mechanic that further discourages duplicates.

Reactions: Mr212u
the endgame for every player is rift wether you want to believe it or not.

I strongly disagree. Rifts is just another mode to farm resources. IMHO, which is still too much work/effort for the rewards (which are not unique* and can be earned elsewhere. *Except Rift coins- which again can be used on resources that can be earned or purchased with other currency elsewhere.)

Dupes or No dupes, New or reworked catalysts, optimal Move stats, all of it, won't fix the fundamental flaw in Rifts.

Problem with Rifts is that it is not a progressive climb up a mountain like we're used in other modes. In Rifts, we are the mountain, and for every player we 'defeat' to make our upward progress, they are pushed down the same amount. Players want the rewards they feel they have earned, it is frustrating to reach a reward tier score only to have to reclaim it again and again when other players use you as a stepping stone and push you down the mountain at the same time.

Problem with Rifts is that it is not a progressive climb up a mountain like we're used in other modes. In Rifts, we are the mountain, and for every player we 'defeat' to make our upward progress, they are pushed down the same amount. Players want the rewards they feel they have earned, it is frustrating to reach a reward tier score only to have to reclaim it again and again when other players use you as a stepping stone and push you down the mountain at the same time.
I believe what you're looking for is the supposed "Everest" content that has been mentioned previously in the Roadmap (see below). I don't think the point system is a fundamental flaw; it's just the main feature. And fair enough, it's definitely not for everyone's tastes.
“Everests” and Aspirational Endgame Challenges
  • We want to ensure that folks who are looking for the next challenge to overcome have non-Rift based content that they can use to test both their skill and their collection.
  • This may even involve a certain feature that has been COMING SOON for some time...

I believe what you're looking for is the supposed "Everest" content that has been mentioned previously in the Roadmap (see below). I don't think the point system is a fundamental flaw; it's just the main feature. And fair enough, it's definitely not for everyone's tastes.
Thank you, but I wasn't looking for Rifts to be something else in that post, I'm stating that's what happens in Rifts; wins push you up at someone's expense. I read the frustration on Discord and in-game chat and even here that so many players reach a score they are happy with only to have it taken from them later (due to whatever reason). Discussions of 'locking scores' to protect their efforts (I mean, that's what defense if for, right?) If those that play Rifts were just fine with the point system, then why so much discussion on how to fix it? How to protect their 'progress' for the rewards they want? Let's not kid ourselves, the motivation to play Rifts is the rewards not the 'challenge' of the mode itself.

As for "Everest" content, yeah, that sounds like a twist on "Survival mode", which I'm looking forward to. And if Guilds is a part of that, cool.

I read the frustration on Discord and in-game chat and even here that so many players reach a score they are happy with only to have it taken from them later (due to whatever reason). Discussions of 'locking scores' to protect their efforts (I mean, that's what defense if for, right?) If those that play Rifts were just fine with the point system, then why so much discussion on how to fix it? How to protect their 'progress' for the rewards they want? Let's not kid ourselves, the motivation to play Rifts is the rewards not the 'challenge' of the mode itself.
My personal opinion is going to be fairly unpopular here. With the recent tier based reset and the widening of reward tiers, losing a couple of points should not drastically change your rank now. If you've been constantly attacked and are unable to win a revenge, then your defense would need some work and perhaps the rank you get is the correct reflection of your collection. The only problem I see is last minute attacks which is a whole other issue, and may only pertain to those who are seeking the top 3 rank. Some people play for the rewards, but others play for the prestige. I mean, that's why some top players keep on striving for the top 3 rank, even though they have more than enough resources.

This is of course a simplification. Some people may be unable to improve their defenses because they don't have the right defensive moves and stats, which is where Move QoL could come in handy. But regardless, I brought up Everest content because this could be the alternative game mode that provides the same kind of resource pool for end game players who are not so keen on the point system of Rifts.

Last edited:
My personal opinion is going to be fairly unpopular here. With the recent tier based reset and the widening of reward tiers, losing a couple of points should not drastically change your rank now. If you've been constantly attacked and are unable to win a revenge, then your defense would need some work and perhaps the rank you get is the correct reflection of your collection. The only problem I see is last minute attacks which is a whole other issue, and may only pertain to those who are seeking the top 3 rank. Some people play for the rewards, but others play for the prestige. I mean, that's why some top players keep on striving for the top 3 rank, even though they have more than enough resources.

This is of course a simplification. Some people may be unable to improve their defenses because they don't have the right defensive moves and stats, which is where Move QoL could come in handy.
Unpopular, maybe. But I agree with your assessment of the new 'reset' helping with keeping rank; keeps everyone in the 'pool' they finished in. And in total agreement about the revenge wins and weak defenses. The less said about 'last minute attacks' the better :rolleyes: which leads into rewards...prestige is a reward and not indicative of their enjoyment of the 'challenge' of the mode...I mean, if the top 3 were not posted here or Twitter...what's the point then?
I brought up Everest content because this could be the alternative game mode that provides the same kind of resource pool for end game players who are not so keen on the point system of Rifts.
Yeah, that will be certainly the case for some players, but for many, it'll be another mode to grind for resources. And if there are rewards, there will certainly be some sorta metric that'll dictate what we earn...Sorry, I don't mean to be negative about a feature we haven't even seen/played yet, but if it's anything like previous new features, the precedent has already been set; the top players will figure out how to exploit whatever the system is and therefore disrupting the curve for everyone else. I just hope it's fun to participate in.

So, I've tried out the Dailies. And I still think it's trash.

The good:

1. Some Dailies were annoying. It is nice to never have to play them again.

2. You can go through them quickly when you have a busy day.

That's it.

The good but:

1. It is nice to focus your tickets on the same character, for skill points and/or moves. But this is lessen by the fact that you're earning less in the first place since you're not playing the lower levels.

2. Being able to play Holodeck 3 times is awesome. But honestly, I found myself playing it only 1 day in the last week. If I'm popping off a XP Biost, I'll play. But if not, I won't. I'm actually getting less XP since I'm playing it less. At least that's what it feels like. One big boost in my leveling and then stagnation the rest of the week.

The bad:

1. A massive hit to progression. Coins is the big one, but Skill Points and moves as well. XP? Either way, it is a massive hit for people wanting to build up their team.

2. No way to skip if you accidentally hit the play button. It's annoying when you have to play a fight because your fat fingers hit the wrong button.

Who it is good for: End game players who didn't play Daily or only did Master.

They are unaffected or even gain since they were ignoring this feature or doing the min.

Who is it bad for: End game players who grinded all the Dailies (ie the ones who were probably most excited for this part of the update before realizing we were the ones this update was intended to hurt) and new players.

Grinders are hurt since they can't grind and now have less resources.

New players are hurt because Dailies are a great source of income. If you're only able to beat Advanced, then yeah, you need that cash from Basic as well. Then it helps to disincentivize people from building someone besides their basics. Especially characters with trickier Dailies. Is a beginner going to play it safe or try to take on a Master Node even though they might not make it. This will give them less resources to build up the character in question, making it longer before they try to challenge the Master Node.

So, I've tried out the Dailies. And I still think it's trash.

The good:

1. Some Dailies were annoying. It is nice to never have to play them again.

2. You can go through them quickly when you have a busy day.

That's it.

The good but:

1. It is nice to focus your tickets on the same character, for skill points and/or moves. But this is lessen by the fact that you're earning less in the first place since you're not playing the lower levels.

2. Being able to play Holodeck 3 times is awesome. But honestly, I found myself playing it only 1 day in the last week. If I'm popping off a XP Biost, I'll play. But if not, I won't. I'm actually getting less XP since I'm playing it less. At least that's what it feels like. One big boost in my leveling and then stagnation the rest of the week.

The bad:

1. A massive hit to progression. Coins is the big one, but Skill Points and moves as well. XP? Either way, it is a massive hit for people wanting to build up their team.

2. No way to skip if you accidentally hit the play button. It's annoying when you have to play a fight because your fat fingers hit the wrong button.

Who it is good for: End game players who didn't play Daily or only did Master.

They are unaffected or even gain since they were ignoring this feature or doing the min.

Who is it bad for: End game players who grinded all the Dailies (ie the ones who were probably most excited for this part of the update before realizing we were the ones this update was intended to hurt) and new players.

Grinders are hurt since they can't grind and now have less resources.

New players are hurt because Dailies are a great source of income. If you're only able to beat Advanced, then yeah, you need that cash from Basic as well. Then it helps to disincentivize people from building someone besides their basics. Especially characters with trickier Dailies. Is a beginner going to play it safe or try to take on a Master Node even though they might not make it. This will give them less resources to build up the character in question, making it longer before they try to challenge the Master Node.
you have spoken well, I liked the ticket only for the fact we get to skip some annoying dailies and save time cus I can't leave work and be grinding dailies, that's the only good thing about the ticket, everything else that comes with it is just torture, if we can use a ticket to unlock a particular difficulty then be able to replay that difficulty without tickets, it'd be nice too... I've learned not to complain about anything, if that's how they want us to play it, you adapt and get used to it, simple.

Reactions: Dalley alpha
Howdy y'all. Thank you for all of the candid feedback on Daily Event Tickets. I promise we are reading through it.

In the meantime, we have released a small update on some of the issues that have popped up in the Slots O' Fun Prize Fight.
  • Fixed an issue where Slots O' Fun Prize Fight could grant permanent invisible modifiers.
  • Fixed an issue where Eliza - Stand Out could cause significant frame rate drops in the Slots O' Fun Prize Fight.
This is a client update only - you just need to restart the game to get it. There is no update on the Google Play or Apple App Stores.

I have to say the updates you guy's add to Skullgirls are nice but I'd like to ask if you guys can reduce the amount of energy being used in prize fights. The amount if energy that is being taken from a character is 4 energy bar's,I feel it will be better if 2 bar's where taken from each character to enable them upgrade characters faster and play some fights with their strongest characters longer