• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Why did people think Samson was evil?

New York

Reaction score
In the headcanon thread on the old forums, are a bunch of people making theories one of the most popular one being that Samson has been manipulating Filla and has been using her for her own purposes. How could people think when it’s been implied in nearly every story mode that he cares about her? In Filla’s story mode, in squigly’s, in Eliza’s. It’s always been implied that he cares about her.

so what’s up? Why did people think Samson was evil or at the very least, a nominal hero?

also, why can’t I post in the old forums? I admit I’m new. But that shouldn’t matter right?

There are several explanations for this, I believe:

1) The most obvious - Samson looks like a terrifying ferocious hair beast with lots of fangs and glowing eyes (unlike, for example, elegant Leviathan). It is natural to assume by default that he is evil. And, while we don't know a lot about his past, we have seen that he went through some clear personality development while living with Filia's family.

2) He may just pretend to care about Filia and act friendly to fool Filia herself and others. If Filia is attacked or injured, she might die, and then Samson will most likely die too, unless he finds a suitable host really fast. Therefore he protects mostly himself by protecting his host in every possible way.

3) There was an alternative character design, where monstrous Samson (from parallel reality, IIRC) flew off the handle, completely consumed Filia's personality, keeping her body as a soulless and mindless husk only used for nutrient storage. If that's not evil, then what is? And if this could happen in one reality, does it leave the possibility that the same can happen to our Filia in the future?

4) The whole idea behind Filia and Samson roots in Japanese mythical creature, Futakuchi-onna - a woman with a second mouth on the back of her head. The origin of second mouth is often from a posession by evil spirit or an evil curse put on the woman. There are also stories about women being killed with a hit on the head that actually created the second mouth - in these stories Futakuchi-onna is usually seeking revenge, so, she is not a very kind and polite thing to encounter.

More knowledgeable fans of SG universe like @BallotBoxer can correct me if I'm wrong, or add some more info.

Last edited:

1) The most obvious - Samson looks like a terrifying ferocious hair beast with lots of fangs and glowing eyes (unlike, for example, elegant Leviathan). It is natural to assume by default that he is evil. And, while we don't know a lot about his past, we have seen that he went through some clear personality development while living with Filia's family.

2) He may just pretend to care about Filia and act friendly to fool Filia herself and others. If Filia is attacked or injured, she might die, and then Samson will most likely die too, unless he finds a suitable host really fast. Therefore he protects mostly himself by protecting his host in every possible way.

3) There was an alternative character design, where monstrous Samson (from parallel reality, IIRC) flew off the handle, completely consumed Filia's personality, keeping her body as a soulless and mindless husk only used for nutrient storage. If that's not evil, then what is? And if this could happen in one reality, does it leave the possibility that the same can happen to our Filia in the future?

4) The whole idea behind Filia and Samson roots in Japanese mythical creature, Futakuchi-onna - a woman with a second mouth on the back of her head. The origin of second mouth is often from a posession by evil spirit or an evil curse put on the woman. There are also stories about women being killed with a hit on the head that actually created the second mouth - in these stories Futakuchi-onna is usually seeking revenge, so, she is not a very kind and polite thing to encounter.

More knowledgeable fans of SG universe like @BallotBoxer can correct me if I'm wrong, or add some more info.
He also eats her hat.

So many innocent hats! :(

(the perfect answer)

Not much to add, but if one wants to learn about the dark timeline/Double trick that is out-of-control Samson, see the very bottom of this page: https://www.labzerogames.com/3rdcharacter/

SAMSON
This Samson walks a darker path than the one we know. Having chosen to serve himself and leave the rest of the world to its fate, he turned to the vilest method to overcome his reliance on hosts. Who knows if he is a trick by Double to mock the Parasite, or a relic from a lost timeline recovered by Aeon.

Playstyle Speculation
In this monstrous incarnation, Samson has no physical or emotional restraints and is free to deliver face punches...with his face. Or he can harden his fist into a five-horned ram to bludgeon his opponent. Aside from larger versions of Filia’s attacks, he can incorporate the forms of nature’s most fearsome creations including T. rexes, sharks, bears, mammoths, scorpions, and wombats to unleash a barrage of beastial fury. There will be hair, teeth, spikes, and screaming everywhere.

Gameplay Inspiration
Juggernaut (Versus series), Potemkin (Guilty Gear series), Kusaregedo (Samurai Showdown series), Troll (Dark Awake: The King Has No Name), Fernandeath (Waku Waku 7), Venom (Marvel vs. Capcom), Shuma-Gorath (Versus series), Riptor (Killer Instinct), Eddie (Guilty Gear series), Colossus (Versus series), Climax attacks (Bayonetta), Dracula’s second form (Castlevania: Rondo of Blood), Zappa (Guilty Gear series), Sonson (Marvel vs. Capcom 2), Sabrewulf (Killer Instinct), Blanka (Street Fighter series), Primal Rage, Bloody Roar, King of the Monsters, Aggar (Altered Beast)

I think the Samson mistrust is rooted in the inescapable fact that he is the cause of her amnesia. Even if he thinks he is doing it for her own good, he is withholding Filia's painful memories from her. Before SGM origin story mode, we had nothing but speculation, so some thought the worst!

There were non-canon alternate endings too: http://skullheart.com/index.php?thr...ings-discovered-in-skullgirls-game-data.4374/

In Ending B, Filia wishes for her memories back only for Samson to exclaim "Don't! You asked me to...!"
This doesn't align with the current canon (Filia doesn't ask Samson anything as she is unconscious and dying thanks to Vitale and Ottomo) where Samson is forced to improvise to save her life.

Not much to add, but if one wants to learn about the dark timeline/Double trick that is out-of-control Samson, see the very bottom of this page: https://www.labzerogames.com/3rdcharacter/

SAMSON
This Samson walks a darker path than the one we know. Having chosen to serve himself and leave the rest of the world to its fate, he turned to the vilest method to overcome his reliance on hosts. Who knows if he is a trick by Double to mock the Parasite, or a relic from a lost timeline recovered by Aeon.

Playstyle Speculation
In this monstrous incarnation, Samson has no physical or emotional restraints and is free to deliver face punches...with his face. Or he can harden his fist into a five-horned ram to bludgeon his opponent. Aside from larger versions of Filia’s attacks, he can incorporate the forms of nature’s most fearsome creations including T. rexes, sharks, bears, mammoths, scorpions, and wombats to unleash a barrage of beastial fury. There will be hair, teeth, spikes, and screaming everywhere.

Gameplay Inspiration
Juggernaut (Versus series), Potemkin (Guilty Gear series), Kusaregedo (Samurai Showdown series), Troll (Dark Awake: The King Has No Name), Fernandeath (Waku Waku 7), Venom (Marvel vs. Capcom), Shuma-Gorath (Versus series), Riptor (Killer Instinct), Eddie (Guilty Gear series), Colossus (Versus series), Climax attacks (Bayonetta), Dracula’s second form (Castlevania: Rondo of Blood), Zappa (Guilty Gear series), Sonson (Marvel vs. Capcom 2), Sabrewulf (Killer Instinct), Blanka (Street Fighter series), Primal Rage, Bloody Roar, King of the Monsters, Aggar (Altered Beast)

I think the Samson mistrust is rooted in the inescapable fact that he is the cause of her amnesia. Even if he thinks he is doing it for her own good, he is withholding Filia's painful memories from her. Before SGM origin story mode, we had nothing but speculation, so some thought the worst!

There were non-canon alternate endings too: http://skullheart.com/index.php?thr...ings-discovered-in-skullgirls-game-data.4374/

In Ending B, Filia wishes for her memories back only for Samson to exclaim "Don't! You asked me to...!"
This doesn't align with the current canon (Filia doesn't ask Samson anything as she is unconscious and dying thanks to Vitale and Ottomo) where Samson is forced to improvise to save her life.

The page is lit.
Glory Days of this franchise!

Annotation 2020-12-10 113823.jpg

Reactions: stale cheeto
This Samson walks a darker path than the one we know. Having chosen to serve himself and leave the rest of the world to its fate, he turned to the vilest method to overcome his reliance on hosts.
I'm glad they didn't go through with this because it just feels so wrong.

SAMSON
This Samson walks a darker path than the one we know. Having chosen to serve himself and leave the rest of the world to its fate, he turned to the vilest method to overcome his reliance on hosts. Who knows if he is a trick by Double to mock the Parasite, or a relic from a lost timeline recovered by Aeon.​
Playstyle Speculation
In this monstrous incarnation, Samson has no physical or emotional restraints and is free to deliver face punches...with his face. Or he can harden his fist into a five-horned ram to bludgeon his opponent. Aside from larger versions of Filia’s attacks, he can incorporate the forms of nature’s most fearsome creations including T. rexes, sharks, bears, mammoths, scorpions, and wombats to unleash a barrage of beastial fury. There will be hair, teeth, spikes, and screaming everywhere.​
Gameplay Inspiration

I commit Molly! cuz i like her

i consider this reply to be the most logical and reasonable, tbh

It doesn't help that he was definitely supposed to be a lot more sinister in earlier drafts of the story. IIRC, the original Skullgirls prototype DID have Samson completely puppeteering Filia. Time has only helped the grumpy dad-parasite be portrayed in a nicer and nicer light, which I for one really don't mind. I like SG's story a lot, but it's often DARK. I don't mind him just being a good guy trying to do his best for her.

It doesn't help that he was definitely supposed to be a lot more sinister in earlier drafts of the story. IIRC, the original Skullgirls prototype DID have Samson completely puppeteering Filia. Time has only helped the grumpy dad-parasite be portrayed in a nicer and nicer light, which I for one really don't mind. I like SG's story a lot, but it's often DARK. I don't mind him just being a good guy trying to do his best for her.
Agreed. When it comes to parasites it can go many different ways and I'm glad they changed Samson to be more wholesome on the spectrum. Still, I wonder about how he was with his previous host. Was he in love with her? Does Filia remind him of her? I wish we could get that background. Still, the game has received a lot of criticism for kind of pushing the fetish side a in character design, so I'm relieved that Samson isn't playing into that like he probably was going to at the start of design. (See Filias alternative win animation for an example.)

Fun little lore thing about Samson. This seems too coincidental to not be confirmed but you guys can decide for yourselves.

Samson and his previous host Delilah are names taken from the biblical story of the same name. The basic story is this, there was once a strong man named Samson who would lose is strength if his hair was cut (symbolism, symbolism everywhere). He was enticed by a woman named Delilah, who belonged to an enemy tribe and she cut his hair and handed him over to the tribe (effectively betraying him and his trust). The rest of the story isn't really relevant, but this could be a clue to Skullgirls' Samson and Delilah history. Perhaps he fell in love with her but she betrayed him and had him "cut off" so to speak. (I know Eliza had a hand in her death but who knows, maybe Samson only has part of the story.)

• Wow
Reactions: Art3mes
It's been a while since I looked at the lore (hoping to get back into all of it very soon), but I believe some of that stemmed from the olllld ollld stuff by Alex Ahad that was written where it seemed Samson may have been actually evil and possibly have killed Fillia's parents. From what I remember the earlier drafts of the plot where much darker in some places than now. Sorry if anyone has already said this, or if I made any errors hah.